• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Millsap left in the Off-Season, would you hate him as much as you do Al Horford?

ATLHawks3

It would be really difficult for me. Sap plays way harder than Horford did for the Hawks, specially the final 3 or 4 years. Sap literally brings his lunch pail everyday. Sap seems like his own man, he's not listening to his dad and sister like a 2 year old. Also, chances are (knock on wood) that even if Sap leaves it won't be for hated Boston. So the chances of me hating Sap more or equivalent to  Horford are...

3.33%

So in my book...

Horford will always be hated more...

12 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

This is a question that's been on my mind ever since those trade rumors came up involving Millsap. For me, I'd say no mainly because he's a guy that would give it his all in every game that he put on a Hawks uniform, something that I couldn't say about Horford. With that being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Ps Are you keeping ur avatar? It's cool I was just wondering. :-)

• Moderators

I don't hate Al but I wouldn't think that if Sap leaves it would be in the same clumsy way that Horford handled it.   Sap will make a decision and go and I think it'll take a huge amount of difference in money for him to turn down a hawks offer.   

Sap is saying he wants to stay with the Hawks, his heart is here and he wants to finish the job.   If you go back and look at what Al was saying it was mostly that he loved Atlanta (the city) and has a lot of ties here.   Those are different things.   

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't hate Al but I wouldn't think that if Sap leaves it would be in the same clumsy way that Horford handled it.   Sap will make a decision and go and I think it'll take a huge amount of difference in money for him to turn down a hawks offer.   

Sap is saying he wants to stay with the Hawks, his heart is here and he wants to finish the job.   If you go back and look at what Al was saying it was mostly that he loved Atlanta (the city) and has a lot of ties here.   Those are different things.   

Not that different my 'Squawk brethren. Either way you get screwed, but you feel better about the latter because you got a dinner from Red Lobster out of it. If Sap leaves and the Hawks get nothing out of it, that will hurt this franchise no matter how nice he is on his way out. I love Sap and what he stands for but I'm Hawks first from here on out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Not that different my 'Squawk brethren. Either way you get screwed, but you feel better about the latter because you got a dinner from Red Lobster out of it. If Sap leaves and the Hawks get nothing out of it, that will hurt this franchise no matter how nice he is on his way out. I love Sap and what he stands for but I'm Hawks first from here on out.

I agree. At least we had Millsap and Howard when Al left. But if Millsap leaves, we're gonna be left with Howard and Muscala.

• Like 1

Well i Might Not be a real hawksfan, but why should anyone hate Al? He did. what he could and the hawks replaced him. 

On a way more important Note, how do i switch autocorrect from german to english? This apple pad ist My only way of Communication for the next weeks. Cheers and all Love to kg01 our only true saviour!

• Moderators

Nope. There's a difference between family and friends. Al was our guy and draft pick until he turned his back on us. Millsap will always be more of a Jazz than a Hawk to me, although I do appreciate what he's done/doing for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he left to join a legitimate contender for less or the same money - I'd understand

If he left to join a bad team for the most money that has no shot at even  the playoffs - that would confuse me but I would understand.

If he left  to go to the sMelltics I would  say...

200_s.gif

3 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

This is a question that's been on my mind ever since those trade rumors came up involving Millsap. For me, I'd say no mainly because he's a guy that would give it his all in every game that he put on a Hawks uniform, something that I couldn't say about Horford. With that being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

The Horford hate is 2 fold.

1. The offer he took in Boston is realistically not different.  He took 2 million more a year to go to Boston. When you factor in the higher taxes there, the agent's cut and the totality of the contract, it was a fairly small amount.

2. He dissed Atlanta by calling Boston a better team.  He dissed the fans, organization and his former teammates. That is hate worthy.

In Millsap's case, the contract difference will be substantial and his lifetime earnings are significantly less. Millsap has also stated a desire to be here. He likes the city, fans and organization. A Millsap choice to leave will be to set himself up for life. I can't fault a guy for that.

I liken it to Josh leaving. Josh was walked out the door. You can't hate on Josh for not being wanted. You can argue with his inability to adapt his game, reliance on shooting outside. But you can't argue him leaving for more money. The organization no longer wanted him. In Millsap's case, the organization will want him, but there may be a team out there that offers him 20+ million more than the Hawks in full contract. I can't hate on him for that. The Hawks chose Baze over Millsap when you look at the numbers. The Hawks didn't choose Howard or Horford. They tried to fit both and Horford balked.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ATLHawks3 said:

As long as his people and him don't talk bad about the Hawks like Al's people did I'm good.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Depends on the circumstances.  Like most have pointed out, there are things that Horford did that made him very much disliked.  I think one of the best points made in this thread was this:

13 hours ago, pimp said:

The thing is , there is a graceful way to leave a team.  Notice that no one hates Demarre Carroll.

The thing with Horford was how he left and where he went...the Celtics of all teams.  The salt in the would for me is just how non-conflicted he was about it.  It really looks like that dude is all face.

One other thing to consider is the fact that Horford was ATL grown and was a part of the rebirth of the franchise.  Sap has been important, but we brought him here after several regime changes WITHIN Horford's tenure.