• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We traded Mo Williams to Denver

For Cenk Akyol and cap space? Didn't we draft Cenk? What does the cap space do for us?...I'm so confused...and we sign Neal to a 10 day.

Does this give us flexibility for a another trade before the deadline or?

IMG_8064.PNG

IMG_8065.PNG

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

For Cenk Akyol and cap space? Didn't we draft Cenk? What does the cap space do for us?...I'm so confused...and we sign Neal to a 10 day.

Does this give us flexibility for a another trade before the deadline or?

IMG_8064.PNG

IMG_8065.PNG

Huh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GABALLA said:

Huh?

Lol my thoughts exactly! So we send Mo and cash to Denver...they give us the rights to Cenk, who we will prolly never brings over, yet somehow we get cap space...and on top of that, we sign Gary Neal to a 10 day contract.

I'm really confused here also...I just...I don't know how to interpret this.

3 minutes ago, DUrce1 said:

I think this was just a move to open up a roster spot to sign Neal. Cenk isn't signed to a contract, so he isn't on the roster.

But doesn't it give us salary relief to use in another trade?

Question:  Didn't the Hawks receive $$$ in the deal when we obtained

Williams in the Dunleavy - Korver deal?  If so, we just passed it on. This

$$$ and Williams apparently go together.

With this deal, Hawks obtain the right to a player currently over seas which

we may or may never actually see.  We get the $$$ of Williams off our payroll,

Denver then releases Williams, giving them the pain relief to their inflated

payroll and Hawks now have the roster space to sign a D league player to a

10 day contract which is a tryout type deal.

Appears like a deal where everyone wins !

• Like 4

@Spud2Nique

I don't think we were going to get anything of value for Williams, so all it does is clear a roster spot for us. No team is gonna give up a 2nd for a guy about to retire. Denver had to meet a minimum salary so this works for them  And as @sturt and I said previously, we couldn't combine him with another player in trade for 2 months which would be after the trade deadline.  If we cut him, his salary remains on the books for the balance of this year, no cap relief or anything.  We received a $2.2 mil trade exception which expires in 1 year (I think) so we can still use the $2.2 mil for a player making that or less (this also cannot be combined with a player).

The cash we sent, we received from Cavs, so no financial loss for the Hawks

We cleared a roster spot that we can use to now sign Neal to his first 1- day contract

See also @thecampster explanation

3 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Cenk Akyol is back?  Are we going to do a "Coming Home" celebration for him like Lebron did?

Let's not and say we did.

This deal was probably for the purposes of helping DEN reach salary floor thereby cultivating a rapport with a potential trade partner down the line.  Remember our green GM probably needs to build some connex outside the Spur guys.

ETA: Full disclosure, I might've borrowed some of that "analysis" (hehe).

Edited by kg01

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

@JayBirdHawk @sturt I need a breakdown of what this means...lol

It means that Seth Curry scored 18 points last night, and with that vanished any hope that we could con DAL into sending him here for Mo and a 2nd rounder.

That's what it means.

A little more seriously... without fanatic around, honestly I don't spend as much time thinking through our salary cap position... but I suppose it came down to an auction of which other team was willing to pay us the best international player in exchange for some cap space.

Welcome back, Cenk.

For what it matters, probably nothing, I think I recall when we first drafted him, he was indeed projected as a combo guard. But as far as I'm aware, he's one of those who never actually developed into enough of an asset for us or anyone else to consider bringing him over.

Bigger news is the Neal signing.

I'm actually a little pissed about it, but I know I'm alone.

That's because this is NOT what you can legitimately consider giving our rookies a genuine shot at earning minutes.

Prince, in particular.