• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA GM's think we will put Sap back on the market

NBASupes

I personally do not think so but if Philly offered their 1st round pick even if they make the playoffs, they got a pick swap with Sacramento. That pick looks lovely. I am open to that, otherwise, I don't see many good deals on the table and for that, keeping Sap is mandatory.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244655/Teams-Believe-Hawks-Will-Revisit-Paul-Millsap-Trade-Talks

• Premium Member

Let's be honest.  In this CBA, if Sap goes to free agency and we lose him for nothing, it's very difficult to recover.  We've already paid Dennis and we've already paid Baze and Dwight.   This CBA is all about Asset management.  What it means is that if we keep Sap, then we have to be willing to fork over the max for him.   I don't mind because it's not my money.  I think we'd do better with a Sap on this team that without one and that's really the choice unless some team gives us a player with loads of potential.  Let's face it... Joel Embiid is not walking through that door.  Greek Freak is not walking through that door.  So we're left with a lot of bad deals for Sap or paying Sap.  I say pay the man. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's be honest.  In this CBA, if Sap goes to free agency and we lose him for nothing, it's very difficult to recover.  We've already paid Dennis and we've already paid Baze and Dwight.   This CBA is all about Asset management.  What it means is that if we keep Sap, then we have to be willing to fork over the max for him.   I don't mind because it's not my money.  I think we'd do better with a Sap on this team that without one and that's really the choice unless some team gives us a player with loads of potential.  Let's face it... Joel Embiid is not walking through that door.  Greek Freak is not walking through that door.  So we're left with a lot of bad deals for Sap or paying Sap.  I say pay the man. 

While I do agree with you, I hate that you acted like a bitch with Horford when I said the same exact thing last year. 

But my common sense allows me to see that this is true. Asset management is key to team development but Atlanta has to draft extremely well if they keep Sap. And Prince and Bembry have to turn into stars.

• Like 3

I'm no trade expert but I keep seeing visions in my sleep of something involving a couple picks, Sap, Timmy, Taj Gibson, and Jimmy Bags.  Unfortunately it's very easy to look at Baze's contract and his shooting and realize he's here for the long haul.  Freaking Splitter and Molly Mike ain't doing us any favors in the showing of assets department either.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

Let's be honest.  In this CBA, if Sap goes to free agency and we lose him for nothing, it's very difficult to recover ...

Wrong.  It's difficult to recover when you panic-trade a guy just to get some pieces masquerading as "assets".

I'd say we've recovered quite nicely after balking on overpaying wHorf.

At worst, we're back where we were.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

You've been sleeping and dreaming a lot? Is this during sleepovers with @rd79 or just in general?

Btw it was 4am here when I fell asleep while my main reason to watch the Hawks wasn't expected to play anymore this game...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Diesel said:

Then what? He's going to want the max. How else does ATL get better? I assume ATL will pay Hardaway and Thabo too which won't be cheap.

• Premium Member

After Paul went public with saying he was told the Hawks weren't trading him...it would look horrible if we turned around and dealt him.

Only way I could see them trading Paul is if they really don't believe he will resign here. And if that is the case then I don't blame them for trading him. Otherwise we're better off keeping him and paying him to stay.

This is like the Joe Johnson situation in some ways.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I'm not seeing it barring some kind of free fall.   We're pushing for 3 in the east and are not that far out of first right now.   Not that i expect it but we're as a good a road team as anyone in the east including the Cavs.   That doesn't mean a lot but it shows that our opponents have vulnerabilities too.   

Unless we get back real players for Sap then we are in a full blown, multi-year rebuild because we don't even have a PF on the roster that has a future of being an nba starter.   

• Like 1

We refused to pay Horford more than $136M/5years. It would be a real head scratcher to me if only the next year we paid an older Millsap $197M/5years (which is just his non-Bird rights max with an added year). Now maybe Paul doesn't receive max offers (I think he does) or he takes a sizable discount, the difference between those two contracts is pretty big and doesn't quite equate to the difference between Paul's skills on the court vs. Al's in my opinion.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

We refused to pay Horford more than $136M/5years. It would be a real head scratcher to me if only the next year we paid an older Millsap $197M/5years (which is just his non-Bird rights max with an added year). Now maybe Paul doesn't receive max offers (I think he does) or he takes a sizable discount, the difference between those two contracts is pretty big and doesn't quite equate to the difference between Paul's skills on the court vs. Al's in my opinion.

1. I don't think Millsap gets a full 5 year max, so one does not equal the other.

2. Maxing out Horford to bring back the same team with the same deficiencies made no sense, we saw what the tandem of Horf and Sap was able to do.

3. It's important to know which teams will have space to offer Millsap the max - there aren't many. (As an aside:Past  Rookie contracts will be getting a bump under the new CBA and new cap numbers, so less capspace than predicted for all teams).

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. I don't think Millsap gets a full 5 year max, so one does not equal the other.

2. Maxing out Horford to bring back the same team with the same deficiencies made no sense, we saw what the tandem of Horf and Sap was able to do.

3. It's important to know which teams will have space to offer Millsap the max - there aren't many. (As an aside:Past  Rookie contracts will be getting a bump under the new CBA and new cap numbers, so less capspace than predicted for all teams).

1. The # I provided for Millsap was just a non-Bird right max with the additional year. His full 5-year Bird rights max would be ~$209M/5years. I don't think he gets that either though.

2. Agreed though kind of similar situation with Millsap/Howard right now? Granted I think we have a better shot against Cleveland with this team, but hard to say we can win a series against them.

3. Definitely true. Teams like DEN and MIN will have the space and have shown interest. HOU can have space if they wanted and have shown interest.

I think it's interesting that we always get onto everyone in regards to underrating Millsap and his ability. Yet when it comes to his contract we think he won't get paid a max or near-max deal.

• Premium Member

He's a 32 year old veteran. I just can't see even with today's crazy deals that a team would give him a true supermax 5 year contract. No one wants to be paying a guy like that on his last two years  at 36 and 37 years old.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He's a 32 year old veteran. I just can't see even with today's crazy deals that a team would give him a true supermax 5 year contract. No one wants to be paying a guy like that on his last two years  at 36 and 37 years old.

To be fair we are the only one's with the ability to give him a 5-year deal. The most he can get from any other team will be $154M/4year.

• Like 2

Have no idea how it ends up or how much Sap is willing to continue to blend in with Dwight or not years ahead but maybe he keeps in mind we have beaten the Cavs and Spurs and were very much in the game against the Warriors. We lost convincingly so often to those teams in years past. These playoffs hopefully will convince him we are indeed the path to get by LeBron and play for the title within Sap's remaining prime years and not force a break the bank scenario.  

• Like 4