• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pay Tim Hardaway Jr

NBASupes

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Everyone said we had to pay Bazemore too, that's the market, blah, blah. I'm not opposed to paying THJ, but you can't pay everybody 70 million.

I didn't think paying Bazemore was a good idea. The difference between the 2 is Baze was a limited player who probably played as good as he possibly can which still wasn't anything special, just solid. THJ on the other hand you can see he has the basketball tools and has a ton of upside still yet to be reached. You're suppose to pay the guys with the upside not the guys that played over their heads for less than a full season. 

Just a reminder. THJ along with Dennis, Thabo, Sap and Dwight  still remains our best 5 man lineup.

People can keep advocating for Baze all they want but dude is sloppy and inconsistent, very much characteristic of our teams play this year. THJ on the other hand is not as inconsistent and has much more control to his game. It's no question that team plays better with him than with Baze. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I don't think this is the only solution. Is it?

It's going to be tricky. Hawks don't have much cap space. 

Millsap's cap hold is 30 mil. Hawks only have a little over 30 mil in cap space this summer.

vor 6 Minuten, BigDog90 sagte:

Millsap's cap hold is 30 mil. Hawks only have a little over 30 mil in cap space this summer.

So Baze has to go to Keep Millsap and Hardaway. Hope this will happen. Even tho i like Baze. THJ is better.

• Like 2

I know this is old news, but i am still bewildered to how the Hawks could have ever have even considered paying Bazemore what they did. You could find Division 2 college player or JUCO players that would help your team more than he can.  Someone sure pulled some strings somewhere. Tim Hardaway won't be offered half of what Bazemore was. SMDH.

Edited by Trout7
addition

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bring Baze off the team.

Fixed.  Weird grammar though, Bird.

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Once you pay him, his play will begin to suffer. That's just how these things tend to work.

BFD

9 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

That dunk at the end to close the door on the Rockets was incredible. I damn near spilled my drink on the guy in front of me. I need a gif of that!

None of us want to see a gif of whatever 'the guy' was doing in front of you.  This is a family-friendly forum, sir.

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

To pay Hardaway Jr, we may have to part with Millsap.

No.

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I don't think this is the only solution. Is it?

It's not.

5 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

@BigDog90 Hawks don't need cap space to resign them.  Full Bird rights on both players means the Hawks can bring back both, the question as always - will they and should they.  It will mean exceeding the cap to do so. The way it works with Sap's cap hold $30mil and Tim's qualifying offer of $3.3 mil we would have about maybe $7 mill in cap space to offer a free agent )if we renounce all other free agents) .  Sign that free agent, then exceed the cap to resign THJr.  Once we have exceed the cap we should have the MLE of $8 mil to sign another free agent.

5 hours ago, django2341 said:

So Baze has to go to Keep Millsap and Hardaway. Hope this will happen. Even tho i like Baze. THJ is better.

No, No ,No.

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We have Sap and Hardaway Jr bird rights. So we can pay both

Yes Indeed.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Junior is the player that the Hawks wasted a 1st round pick to obtain,

if I remember correctly.  We gave someone our 1st round pick for him.

Fans cried, swore, growled and this went on and on.

Do I remember this correctly?

Yep because the Knicks only wanted a second round pick for him.  No matter how good he plays they swindled us when we panicked.

Now the bigger issue on THJr:

#1 Start this Man

13 hours ago, hawkman said:

....and start him for the remainder of the season.

YESSSSS.  Start him and see what he gives you the rest of the season.  We need his ballhandling.  We need his scoring and his defense is passable at this point so he pairs much better with Thabo than Bazemore does.

#2 Find Out What He Can Do With A Bigger Role

12 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Guys... Tim Hardaway is not a legit starter. He has some explosive games off the bench, but he is either really hot with his shooting or he is pretty much worthless out there.

We need to find this out.  He doesn't bring a lot more than his scoring but his D is no longer the big negative it used to be and his ballhandling is something our starters need so that is real value as well.  Consistency is the big calling card as his game has flexed up and down over the season.  He started beyond on fire from 2pt range and shivery cold from 3pt range and over time has thawed on those 2pt shots while he has heated up from beyond the arc.  He currently sits at a .545 TS% which is a decent scoring efficiency.  Let's see what he does in a bigger role.  We need that to decide:

#3 What is the Right Price Point as a Free Agent?

THJr is not a max free agent so there is a price at which you resign him or match an offer and a price at which you let him walk.  His RFA helps us in that regard because it makes other teams less likely to really go for him and there are fewer teams with money for him this summer which also helps.  

I'd much rather pay him than Bazemore but there is still a right and wrong price for him.  Let's cut Baze's role some and feature THJr some more and see how it shakes out. 

3 hours ago, Trout7 said:

I know this is old news, but i am still bewildered to how the Hawks could have ever have even considered paying Bazemore what they did. You could find Division 2 college player or JUCO players that would help your team more than he can.  Someone sure pulled some strings somewhere. Tim Hardaway won't be offered half of what Bazemore was. SMDH.

I think Hardaway may get offered more than Baze. SG is a weak position in FA and in the NBA in general.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No.

It's not.

@BigDog90 Hawks don't need cap space to resign them.  Full Bird rights on both players means the Hawks can bring back both, the question as always - will they and should they.  It will mean exceeding the cap to do so. The way it works with Sap's cap hold $30mil and Tim's qualifying offer of $3.3 mil we would have about maybe $7 mill in cap space to offer a free agent )if we renounce all other free agents) .  Sign that free agent, then exceed the cap to resign THJr.  Once we have exceed the cap we should have the MLE of $8 mil to sign another free agent.

No, No ,No.

Yes Indeed.

That's what I was trying to say. That's not really much cap space to bring people in to improve the team. 7 mil and 8 mil only going to get you 3rd stringers.

• Premium Member

Preface: I think it's fair to say I was one of those who took the patient approach to Timmy when taking the patient approach wasn't cool. Having said that...

5 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Now this is some overreaction. 

It is. But, too, it isn't.

In my best Forrest Gump voice... Junior is a box of chocolates.

But he's a box of a few Russell Stover chocolates, mixed with several of those stale Palmers Easter chocolates as well.

But it's still real chocolate, nonetheless, at least now... we don't get the carob pieces.

In other words, he's not having the no-good-very-bad-days hardly at all, and rather, is putting up productive games with greater frequency....

But it's kind-of like he went from "sporadic" to "not-as sporadic"... and to clearly assert himself as a key piece to the long-term at any higher payday, it's got to go from "not-as sporadic" to, at least, "somewhat common."

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

In my best Forrest Gump voice... Junior is a box of chocolates.

But he's a box of a few Russell Stover chocolates, mixed with several of those stale Palmers Easter chocolates as well.

But it's still real chocolate, nonetheless, at least now... we don't get the carob pieces.

IMG_8459.GIF

• Moderators

This thread should be "Play Tim Hardaway"

He needs to be starting and playing 30 minutes every game so we can see what he's worth.  Otherwise we risk the classic Hawk Koncak/Hendu/Crawford lottery contract based on a short time of good play.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This thread should be "Play Tim Hardaway"

He needs to be starting and playing 30 minutes every game so we can see what he's worth.  Otherwise we risk the classic Hawk Koncak/Hendu/Crawford lottery contract based on a short time of good play.  

Pay/play potato/ pototo

Agreed though...the guy brings energy, has hops and a nice perimeter shot...oh, did I mention he can get hot as hell? Play the man, then if things work out, pay the man!