Why I buy falcons season tickets and not the Hawks

terrellgroup

I want to buy Hawks season tickets and support them, but it is hard.

"5 positions the Falcons need to fill" via http://TeamStre.am by Bleacher Report

http://teamstre.am/2naNVey

When you read this it clearly shows the difference between the Falcons and the Hawks.

It is my opinion that Quinn will always be more successful than Bud, mainly because how he goes about being a coach .

Quinn making highlight of change and not having the same status quo.

l

• Like 1

New coach teams often have a big second year jump, although honestly the Falcons one will likely turn out to be a ton more sustainable than the Hawks (I'll explain in about an hour after I get back from studying).  (which is why I honestly think UGA may be returning to the SECCG this coming season because it's another year 2'er).

Still, what needs to happen is PROVE IT in the third year.

I hate to call the 60 win season "a fluke", but there was two major things that said that it wasn't something that could be sustained over the long haul, even if a few things weren't scouted out after that big win streak in late December-January.

1. The core of the team was older. Outside of Jeff Teague, all of the starters were 30+.
2. The whole system revolved around the attention that Kyle Korver got because of his sharp shooting.

It's not really a cut and dry similar situation between the Hawks and Falcons with their big *year 2s*.

1. The Falcons took their big year 2 jump with a lot of young and growing players. No, this doesn't mean there aren't veterans, but there was a lot of young talent that helped the run.
2. The WCO, a "system" helped the Falcons offense be unstoppable, but it was unstoppable and had talent all over the field that could win their matchups in general.

Hate to say it, but if we're going to have an NBA comp, it's closer to being Warriors/Jazz like than the Hawks. It wasn't just the team caught the league by surprise, that was legitimately a very good team that grew up after the pick 2 to lose vs the Chiefs.

Even if the Falcons have a down year after that disaster in the SB, they're set up well because they have a lot of young talent.

Outside of four players, the Hawks have a quickly aging roster again.

I never compare the NBA to the NFL. Completely different...you don't have 7 rounds to build an NBA team.

the draft in the NBA is a complete joke nowadays but especially compared to the NFL. 

Then there's other factors that go into the NFL that has an advantage over the NBA but I rather discuss that on falconslife.

By the way glad we got Poe! Poe, Beasley, Jarrett are going to be one hell of a defensive line next season.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

I hate to call the 60 win season "a fluke", but there was two major things that said that it wasn't something that could be sustained over the long haul, even if a few things weren't scouted out after that big win streak in late December-January.

1. The core of the team was older. Outside of Jeff Teague, all of the starters were 30+.
2. The whole system revolved around the attention that Kyle Korver got because of his sharp shooting.

It's not really a cut and dry similar situation between the Hawks and Falcons with their big *year 2s*.

1. The Falcons took their big year 2 jump with a lot of young and growing players. No, this doesn't mean there aren't veterans, but there was a lot of young talent that helped the run.
2. The WCO, a "system" helped the Falcons offense be unstoppable, but it was unstoppable and had talent all over the field that could win their matchups in general.

Hate to say it, but if we're going to have an NBA comp, it's closer to being Warriors/Jazz like than the Hawks. It wasn't just the team caught the league by surprise, that was legitimately a very good team that grew up after the pick 2 to lose vs the Chiefs.

Even if the Falcons have a down year after that disaster in the SB, they're set up well because they have a lot of young talent.

Outside of four players, the Hawks have a quickly aging roster again.

Hawks trying to emulate the Spurs when they should be trying to emulate the Warriors. It may even give fans a reason to be excited. The whole ball movement niche of the Hawks died out this year.

It comes down to A and B+ level talent and players. Right now, our closet B+ player is Sap and he's a role player and those are never fun to watch as the best player. Dwight is washed. Dennis is inconsistent and Tim as well as the rookies are still developing but don't look like B+ talents yet. Not much of a reason to watch.

Falcons got a top 3 player in Jones, the MVP in Ryan and a great squad in general.

Braves got an A talent in Swanson, B+ in Freeman and got an A+ minor league. The future is bright. 

United got A+ talent for the MLS. 

Hawks while being the most consistent is the least interesting of teams in Atlanta. Nothing is great about them. Not even their defense.

• Like 3

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It comes down to A and B+ level talent and players. Right now, our closet B+ player is Sap and he's a role player and those are never fun to watch as the best player. Dwight is washed. Dennis is inconsistent and Tim as well as the rookies are still developing but don't look like B+ talents yet. Not much of a reason to watch.

Falcons got a top 3 player in Jones, the MVP in Ryan and a great squad in general.

Braves got an A talent in Swanson, B+ in Freeman and got an A+ minor league. The future is bright. 

United got A+ talent for the MLS. 

Hawks while being the most consistent is the least interesting of teams in Atlanta. Nothing is great about them. Not even their defense.

It's hard to argue with any of this although i don't think Dwight is washed.   He's still great at what he does.   

As frustrating as this season is though I'd say this team is a little more interesting than last year.  You don't know exactly what they are going to do this year.   Last year was predictable, pretty good, and very boring.   At least now we get to see what Dwight will do, what Tim will do, what Prince will do, what Ersan will do.   Which is really the amazing thing.   You know you have problems when you pick up a buyout guy and he becomes your 2nd or 3rd best player.   

• Like 1

Except the NFL is kinda like MLB, past the 4th round you're just looking for a lottery ticket in the draft that may or may not succeed. It's only the top 4 rounds that really are good.

Kind of like UDFA in NBA, you're just looking for lottery ticket. It's just more structured in the NFL.

And the Warriors aren't a team that really can get emulated at the NBA level. No other team is going to be able to ever successfully have two excellent volume three point shooters for at least another decade.

Let's not forget the fact that in the NFL it's one game.  While it's no easy feat to get to the Super Bowl, all it takes is one team to get hot or another team to not show up for one game and that's it.

The Falcons got hot at the right time and managed to cruise all the way until halfway through the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl.  Like @TheNorthCydeRises said, they need to prove they can do it again before I take them more seriously as a yearly contender.  Look at the Panthers and Broncos, it's easy to head right back to mediocrity in that league.

I feel like it's a lot harder in the NBA to upset a higher seed, and they've made it worse by making the first round 7 games.  It doesn't have to be March Madness but it would be nice if the playoff weren't extremely predictable these days.  It's a top heavy league that cares about its superstars.  I will say at least the Falcons have a realistic chance at winning it all while I don't see the Hawks as more than a second round exit "as is."

• Like 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Let's not forget the fact that in the NFL it's one game.  While it's no easy feat to get to the Super Bowl, all it takes is one team to get hot or another team to not show up for one game and that's it.

The Falcons got hot at the right time and managed to cruise all the way until halfway through the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl.  Like @TheNorthCydeRises said, they need to prove they can do it again before I take them more seriously as a yearly contender.  Look at the Panthers and Broncos, it's easy to head right back to mediocrity in that league.

I feel like it's a lot harder in the NBA to upset a higher seed, and they've made it worse by making the first round 7 games.  It doesn't have to be March Madness but it would be nice if the playoff weren't extremely predictable these days.  It's a top heavy league that cares about its superstars.  I will say at least the Falcons have a realistic chance at winning it all while I don't see the Hawks as more than a second round exit "as is."

NBA would be so much better if they actually took steps to even the playing field.  But now it's totally controlled by the handful of elite players and where they choose to go.      It's amazing that attendance around the league is as good as it is.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Hawks trying to emulate the Spurs when they should be trying to emulate the Warriors. It may even give fans a reason to be excited. The whole ball movement niche of the Hawks died out this year.

Wether its emulating the Spurs or Warriors, Hawks still lack top end talent and reliable shooters.

• Premium Member

One thing the Hawks have going for them is a new owner who wants to win and has paid big money for the team.   I hold out hope that he will make changes in the team that are necessary.

• Like 2

It does not matter if it's nba, NFL, MLB.

its Aboht coaching. Bud does not take risk, want to keep the same crew even though they are old.  

Sometimes you got to take a step back to move forward.  We don't do those types of moves.  

Hawks go after good quality guys, who walks the old person across the street and flosses after every meal.

i want to see some ball players, guys with a little rough edges. 

Yes we will sometimes knock a guy down, but we then turn around and help him up.

teams always need a couple of " slap ya momma" type players. But no, bud want go for that.  

By the way, I bought seasons tickets to the falsons before Quinn's second year. He has shown me, right or wrong, he goes for it.  That is exciting to me.  

• Like 2

On 3/19/2017 at 7:47 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Look up the 10 year record of the Falcons vs the Hawks, and look at the winning percentage.  Both are around 55%.   The difference came last season, with the Falcons reaching the SB.  Otherwise., the Hawks had done everything the Falcons had done, including losing in a Conference Championship after being a #1 seed.

Falcons had a great run last season.  But let's not act like the Falcons are the flagship franchise for the area.  Before this season, they had missed the playoffs 3 straight years, and people wanted Matt Ryan ran completely out of town.

This has definitely been a "meh" season for the Hawks, especially at home.  But let's not overhype the Falcons as a great entertainment product.  Tell the Falcons to have a great season again, and not miss the playoffs.

Well what your missing in this is fan appeal... even in the losing seasons fans would pay just to see if Julio was gonna go off for 200+ yards or to watch the offense do its work. And now that we have the defense as hard hitting and fast as the one we got that rocked the GA Dome out in style it's hard to think the hawks will match that unless they catch that magic again like they had in 2014-15 or snag a superstar or another brand name like a Melo