• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smitty

hazer

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Steve Smith was just on Dukes & Bell saying he was interested in the Hawks GM position but hadn't been asked yet. When asked what he would do about the Sap situation, said he would've worked out an extension already and not let it get to this point, if Sap didn't accept would've moved him at the deadline. Wasn't sure he'd re-sign him at this point as things sit. Said Dwight needs to improve and is not the D8 of Magic days, but also noticed that he came to play and didn't whine nearly as much as years past and put up nimbers. Teammates didn't dog him as much as in years past either, so he considered that improved attitude. Commented that with only 2 years left, Hawks are pretty much stuck with him because they brought him in. I think the "Needs Improvement" points to focusing more on the PnR. Good stuff, he gets it, love Smitty. It's a thought, but I know we've touched on some of the negatives a bit in other threads.

I assumed he wasn't interested.  If he is I'd consider him for sure especially if you're seriously looking at other inexperienced ex-players.  The advantage I think Smitty has over guys like Billups is that he's been watching the Hawks closely all this time.   He knows the deal.  

On his comments, Sap was waaay to smart to sign an extension.   That's just a laughable proposition that you could have gotten that done.  Moving him at the deadline makes sense but Smitty isn't privy to the offers we got.   Moving him for crap isn't really worth it.   

I have a lot of faith in Smitty and he strikes me as someone who can negotiate.   

• Like 3

Dukes and Bell actually told Smitty they'd be relaying that he was interested to Ressler/Bud/Koonin as soon as they were back on the show. You'd think Smitty would just pick up the phone. One of my favorite Hawks of all time. 

57 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

On his comments, Sap was waaay to smart to sign an extension.   That's just a laughable proposition that you could have gotten that done.  Moving him at the deadline makes sense but Smitty isn't privy to the offers we got.   Moving him for crap isn't really worth it.   

I have a lot of faith in Smitty and he strikes me as someone who can negotiate.   

Millsap was not eligible to sign an extension since he didn't have a 4 year deal - that's something a 'GM in wanting' should know.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, hazer said:

Dukes and Bell actually told Smitty they'd be relaying that he was interested to Ressler/Bud/Koonin as soon as they were back on the show. You'd think Smitty would just pick up the phone.

I'd imagine that pretty much cements the notion that, yes, Ressler reviewed the TV analyst list, but no, Smitty didn't make the "get his phone number" list.

So, yeah, at this point, it probably would show some hutzpah to pick up the phone himself, if it's important to him. Again, I think the guy deserves the courtesy of a screening interview, at least. He's a somebody in our history, but moreover, he's one who happens to have essentially the same qualification as at least one other interviewee--TV analyst, and thus, some on the record commentary that testifies to how he thinks.

• Like 2

I do want someone who has knowledge of the Hawks and actually watch them. However most candidates haven't really payed very much attention to the Hawks either because they work with another NBA team or they simply just don't care about this franchise in particular.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Did he actually say 'I'm interested. I must have missed it cause he didn't answer the question - mentioned guys like Deke and Shareef.

True. But to me he inferred that he was interested by saying they hadn't asked him yet, then getting into what he would do as GM, then going along with Dukes & Bell saying they'd pass along his interest. I could be reading too much into what could've been a joke, but I don't think so. 

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Millsap was not eligible to sign an extension since he didn't have a 4 year deal - that's something a 'GM in wanting' should know.

I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't positive and was going to ask.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

True.

Not a disqualifier, but doesn't help. I might've been caught with my foot in my mouth similarly--something I know, but not something at the top of my head, which is why I'm glad I have people like JBH who have my back (usually : ) ).

I think his main point is well-taken--he'd have stuck out for a longer commitment from Millsap.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, hazer said:

True. But to me he inferred that he was interested by saying they hadn't asked him yet, then getting into what he would do as GM, then going along with Dukes & Bell saying they'd pass along his interest. I could be reading too much into what could've been a joke, but I don't think so. 

I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't positive and was going to ask.

I concur... just listening to it now, sounds like he was making the case in general for Ressler to consider him or any  former Hawk, and he named Dikembe and Shareef... saying don't eliminate guys with a history with the organization. And then, yeah, he seemed to use the opportunity to step forward without outright campaigning... which obviously is how the hosts took it as well, given the pledge to "blast" the message.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed.  Lemme guess, he also said he would've traded for Lebron too right?

24 minutes ago, sturt said:

True.

Not a disqualifier, but doesn't help. I might've been caught with my foot in my mouth similarly--something I know, but not something at the top of my head, which is why I'm glad I have people like JBH who have my back (usually : ) ).

I think his main point is well-taken--he'd have stuck out for a longer commitment from Millsap.

My thoughts exactly. He's familiar with the Hawks, Hawks players, and their situation, but has had a lot going on with his analyst gigs. So not knowing the exact structure of Sap's contract is forgivable.

15 minutes ago, sturt said:

I concur... just listening to it now, sounds like he was making the case in general for Ressler to consider him or any  former Hawk, and he named Dikembe and Shareef... saying don't eliminate guys with a history with the organization. And then, yeah, he seemed to use the opportunity to step forward without outright campaigning... which obviously is how the hosts took it as well, given the pledge to "blast" the message.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I took it as well.

Smitty was a Hawks All-star, a Spurs champion, a world/olympic champion on Team USA, a great 3-pt shooter, an NBA analyst, and a bright guy. If Billups is getting an interview, Smitty damn sure should too...

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Smitty was a Hawks All-star, a Spurs champion, a world/olympic champion on Team USA, a great 3-pt shooter, an NBA analyst, and a bright guy. If Billups is getting an interview, Smitty damn sure should too...

A really good guy also from what I understand also. Didn't he win some kind of humanitarian award when he was here or something?

• Like 2

Do you really want the 'nice guy' to our GM? Not me I want someone who's a bulldog and won't back down when another GM calls his bluff. Watch any game where Smitty is calling it and you'll hear how easily he defers how wishy washy he is. I have nothing but respect for him just like I do Nique but I don't want either running the Hawks. If we go the former player route then I want a guy like Billups who became a great player and always made life hard on his opponent. He had to scratch and claw just to get a chance and once he got there he didn't fold under pressure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Great 3 point shooter is a strange qualification for general manager.

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Unless the league becomes strictly about 3pt shooting... Ugh that damn shot is now attempting to destroy our GM search as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Unless the league becomes strictly about 3pt shooting... Ugh that damn shot is now attempting to destroy our GM search as well. 

A great shooter, GM'ing in a shooter's league. Real strange...