• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that they're ours, we can talk about the here on the main board, right? So what do you think of Schlenk's first draft class?

sturt

32 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Hmmm... top ten odds for rookie of the year. Only behind the guys universally regarded as elite by the media. 

I already mentioned it in the draft chat, if John Collins starts he has an excellent chance of being rookie of the year. I could see him averaging a double double as a rookie. Knowing Bud though he'll have him in the running for D-League MVP.

Tyler Dorsey reminds me of Eddie House. Tony Delk to a lesser extent because he's not as fast or explosive. 

Alpha never heard of him, but he looks decent. Good draft and stash guy.

I would give this draft and A grade. Got the 3rd guy on my board for the Hawks at 19 when I thought we would have to trade up to get him. Added 40% three point shooter that took a ton of threes(large sample), and a stash big. I would ding them for pick 31, but that was a separate bad trade.

Edited by ATLien_

1 minute ago, DrReality said:

How do you guys think Collins will compare with Horf.   Seems pretty comparable given he was drafted much lower.   Think he may be tougher?  

Unless he can improve his defense, Horf will be the better player. Collins looks like he can score, but man the dude is awful on defense as of today.

10 minutes ago, DrReality said:

How do you guys think Collins will compare with Horf.   Seems pretty comparable given he was drafted much lower.   Think he may be tougher?  

Al was an great as a team defender as a rookie, also a good passer. 

Collins isn't a defender and not sure what his passing skills are like.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Al was an great as a team defender as a rookie, also a good passer. 

Collins isn't a defender and not sure what his passing skills are like.

He averaged less than 1 assist per game this season. I read some pre draft thing on him that said he turns over the ball a lot due to his passing.

29 minutes ago, DrReality said:

Different players, but I rate Horford higher. Collins will board better and roll to the rim more I think.

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here ye, here ye...

Just intercepted a text, don't ask me how, but I did....

"Oh darn. My sister was already scheduled for major brain surgery, and wouldn't you know it, they're doing it Monday morning."

-- Mike

• Like 3

Couple of questions:

!- Where did our new GM come from?  IE, what team had him before?

2- Does any of his draft picks resemble any players on that team?

Note:  Everyone here knows this old man is the eternal optimist.  I want

my team, no matter which sport, to always do well.  When defeat comes,

I expect that next victory to follow.

Hawks will be different next season.  We know that D8 is gone and suspect

that Millsap will soon follow.  Both are former all star players.  Age may be

catching up with both of them.  I expect Millsap to be very good for a little

time yet, but his slow decline is not that far away and he will want a long

contract for big $$$ and who can blame him.

Charlotte hopes that D8 can return to the player he was in Florida.  Lots of

luck with that.  It ain't happening.  And, he cost big $$$.

I like our new drafted Hawks. 

GO DREAM !  (They are at home tonight)

• Like 4

I don't know that I have a problem with Horford being better all around, but I do think that Collins will be a more willing rebounder while providing a fraction of the scoring initially.  I'll take that.  Dorsey, maybe I'm over excited about him, but if he has that "dog" in him that Schröder has, I'm hoping he plays significantly in the latter part of next year.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

!- Where did our new GM come from?  IE, what team had him before?

2- Does any of his draft picks resemble any players on that team?

Brace yourself.

I know for a fact that I saw at least one national media outlet characterize Dorsey's ceiling as "Steph Curry."

Or was it "Seth Curry".... I dunno, but one of those two guys.

Either way, I'll take it. :D

JC, though.... at the moment anyway, I suppose best resembles a similar talent to a young David West, though I think West came to the NBA with greater regard for his defense than what JC does.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, deester11 said:

I don't know that I have a problem with Horford being better all around, but I do think that Collins will be a more willing rebounder while providing a fraction of the scoring initially.  I'll take that.  Dorsey, maybe I'm over excited about him, but if he has that "dog" in him that Schröder has, I'm hoping he plays significantly in the latter part of next year.

My friend made a comp that I really like. Tristan Thompson that can shoot free throws and has potential for midrange and 3 pointers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noble said:

He averaged less than 1 assist per game this season. I read some pre draft thing on him that said he turns over the ball a lot due to his passing.

Maybe stop passing the ball?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kg01 said:

dcln

Sorry sturt, I ain't got that kinda time.

Anywho ... that 10-pick stretch from 31 to 41 was murder.  I poured out a lil' liquor for @Spud2Nique when the Seeees took the Semi.  Man that was a brutal wait.

Yeah, we really do have a rivalry with them whether they will admit it or not, Al sealed that last year, no real place on the roster for Semi with the Celtics at the moment (yeah I know that sounds like Jaylen talking) so it feels like another finger in the eye for us again.

I would be lying if I said this one was better than last year's because it's not even close but we had a lotto pick, 21st and a top 40 last year so we just had better picks last year. 

It's pretty good. Collins projects to be a 20/10 type of starter who needs to improve his range and defense.

Kaba could be a potential starter while right now being more of a G league prospect. 

Dorsey has backup PG potential and he's young to boot. Depending on the development of his athletic ability and PG skills, he could become even more than what he projected to be. Atlanta over the last five years has been improving players potentials at a higher rate than their projections.

• Like 4

Collins has fairly considerable upside. Most people don't realize he's young. The top 7 selected have an avg. age of 19.7 years old.

Collins is 19.8 years old. With that, nobody knows how mature their games and bodies will be 4-5 years from now. For all we know, JC could fill out to 6-10 250 with a good mid range game. His strength is a high motor and finishing around the paint. For whatever reason in my eyes, he projects similarly to one of the Morris twins. 

Dorsey projects to a Gary Neal. Hopefully his ball handling is more advanced. And why haven't they signed Motley to a deal yet. That's a no brainer considering no real talent at center on the roster. 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Atlanta over the last five years has been improving players potentials at a higher rate than their projections.

This is important. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, noble said:

Duncan turned it over appreciably more, but the big difference is that Duncan had about a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. Collins had only 1 assist for about every 4 turnovers.

• Like 1