• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Positive Hawks Article--Good Read

Wurider05

I like the article and at least he is not saying this is a five year plan. Every new GM wants five years to show growth; to me that is their way of saying no matter what happens, I want to keep my job for the full five years.

If you suck after three, you should be fired. That is plenty of time to prove yourself competent IMO.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3

Guy is still lying through his teeth about not tanking.  Amazing people continue to slurp down his phony message.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

How exactly is this tanking ? I get people are upset that we aren't a lock for the playoffs anymore, but literally every move he's made falls in line with EXACTLY what he's saying.

Agreed....now that he has actually made some signings and will probably make one more decent signing it doesn't look like a tank job but rather looking for young talent that can possibly be kept long term and fit in Buds scheme.

i have no problem with this cause he's already stated we are going to lose on purpose and we KNOW bud isn't going to lose on purpose. So I'm starting not to be as worried.

• Like 1

yeah, gotta support schlenk so far. Going back to the playoffs with that same roster is pointless and now we have a young talented team along with quality veterens on good contracts, and were flexible as hell in the next upcoming years too. Gotta give the man his props so far.:MooseGoggles:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

How exactly is this tanking ? I get people are upset that we aren't a lock for the playoffs anymore, but literally every move he's made falls in line with EXACTLY what he's saying.

Two reasons:

1.  He has put together a roster where the top 10 guys on the roster have a combined projected 6.4 WARP going into the 2017-2018 season.

2.  Building around youth = losing.

• Like 2

This isn't really a Philly style tank. Philly style would've been moving everybody (Dennis in particular) and trying to find your centerpiece at #1. 

Regardless we're gonna lose a lotttt of games. 

Edited by DBac
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, DBac said:

This isn't really a Philly style tank. Philly style would've been moving everybody (Dennis in particular) and trying to find your centerpiece at #1.

Exactly what I've been trying to harp on. And...exactly why I've said it's too early to conclude for real on what's going on.

Ask me in April 2018 and I'll tell you. I'm not sugarcoating this, but there are differences between full on tanking and rebuilding. If nothing significant happens, I won't be posi, I'd say 25-30 wins is most likely.

A reminder, if guys are being sat for no reason or sat for longer than necessary with injuries, that's full on tanking.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Two reasons:

1.  He has put together a roster where the top 10 guys on the roster have a combined projected 6.4 WARP going into the 2017-2018 season.

2.  Building around youth = losing.

While I agree with the dismal projections of the 2017-2018 season, I prefer that to maxing out our cap space for the next 3 years with THJ, Millsap, and Howard.

Letting the Knicks throw money at THJ like a drunk lottery winner at a strip club is not a tank job. Preferring to give our past few draft classes more playing time while keeping 30 million off the cap annually is still not tanking...It is saying that the future could not be built with last year's core. That run is over. We'd have all been better off had we made that decision before the trade deadline last year, but then again that is why Schlenk is here now in the front office and not Bud. 

I think we will see a young, hungry, scrappy team that (IF some players take steps forward) will be a surprising team in the abysmal East. Unfortunately after watching the Summer League I am petrified at Prince's apparent steps backward as a player. I only hope I am wrong about Prince. He certainly was fun to watch last season and gave me hope for the future.

• Like 4

Just now, DBac said:

Shouldn't worry about Prince yet. In the regular season/playoffs he turned defense into offense and got his when he could. In this summer league run he's been trying to push himself and become more of a creator on offense than a 3nD role player.

Ah, the voice of reason;) I prefer your version of Prince's summer league displays. Thanks!!!

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I like the article and at least he is not saying this is a five year plan. Every new GM wants five years to show growth; to me that is their way of saying no matter what happens, I want to keep my job for the full five years.

If you suck after three, you should be fired. That is plenty of time to prove yourself competent IMO.

Nope.   I don't think that firing a GM after 3 years is smart.   In three years, he might be saddled with the wrong coach.  IN three years, he may be missing draft picks.  In 3 yrs, he may have nothing but young players.  Ferry spoiled you guys.  Ferry stepped into a situation where he had a playoff team with good assets and draft picks and he was able to make something of them.   Schlenk will take a bit longer.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JTB said:

Now this is a good plan. He really got more detailed though he was saying the same thing...it's kinda like hey I'm not tanking on purpose but I'm not about to sign free agents close to 30 years of age or are 30+ years old who aren't star talent just to get to the playoffs and lose. 

But I will put a young team out there full of early and mid 20 year olds who fits Buds scheme and if they make the playoffs great cause that means their taking huge leaps in their development while being young! .....at least that's how I take his comments.

It's tanking no matter how well he states it.   He can call it not picking up bad contracts.  He can call it player development.  He can call it focusing on future stars... it all equates to one thing.. we're tanking for higher draft picks.  It's the Billy Knight build through the draft plan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It's tanking no matter how well he states it.   He can call it not picking up bad contracts.  He can call it player development.  He can call it focusing on future stars... it all equates to one thing.. we're tanking...

"You keep using that word": http://www.livememe.com/mds82td

Edited by hazer