• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whatever happened to good ole Player recruitment?

Diesel

• Premium Member

One of them is Kent Bazemore, who made it known recently that he will be utilizing his Twitter account to help bring more players to the Atlanta Hawks. He was even specific in saying that he will be sliding in his DM’s to send messages to some players he feels are currently in disarray and may fit well on their team.

I'm about to slide in them DMs... lots of unhappy players around the league. Atlanta welcomes you with open arms... 

Do you think it's possible for one of our players to pull a Lebron and recruit other players to come here?

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Note to Schlenk....

Schlenk.. when you decide to go after some big fish... Get Matty Ice involved.  Last year, Al Horford was greeted by Tom Brady.   Millsap was greeted by Brandon Marshall.  IF we go after Klay... Maybe we should get Matty Ice and Julio Jones.

We are a two or three years away from a big fish but Matty Ice and Julio should still be around.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Note to Schlenk....

Schlenk.. when you decide to go after some big fish... Get Matty Ice involved.  Last year, Al Horford was greeted by Tom Brady.   Millsap was greeted by Brandon Marshall.  IF we go after Klay... Maybe we should get Matty Ice and Julio Jones.

I thought you said the Hawks had no shot at Klay Thompson.  Why waste Matt Ryan's and Julio's time?

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Note to Schlenk....

lol watch Slink show up to a free agent meeting with Dansby Swanson at his side.

Edited by Alex

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

I thought you said the Hawks had no shot at Klay Thompson.  Why waste Matt Ryan's and Julio's time?

Maybe  them and Baze can sell the city to him?  We got to sell something.  We can't sell a reloading team to a 3 time champion.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, TheRedStripes said:

There's 90 million reasons Millsap went to Denver... Brandon Marshall ain't one. 

He could have went to Phoenix or Minny.. I think Marshall was a reason.

If we have an all star point guard in Dennis, and all star PF in Collins and/or SF in Prince with a bunch of young talent around them Matty Ice, Julio Jones, Lil John, or the girls from the Cheetah won't be necessary the product on floor will attract the talent.  Today is all about super team and you almost always have to home grow your first super star or three like GS.   All the other stuff is just icing on cake that we can't bake yet but I have hopes we may have the recipe and are about to start heating up the oven!

If you aren't going to a super team a player like Marshall can explain the benefits to living in the city. All things being equal between the talent in Minny, Denver, and Phoenix as in you probably aren't winning a title with the roster and the money is about the same, it comes down to area. Marshall probably talked up the area, explained life there as a public figure, and spoke to the taxes, people, etc. It is one issue with Atlanta attracting big names. It is a transient city for the most part, which makes it a hard place to call large market as there is a lot of split loyalty to teams out of state. Add in one of the higher Jock Taxes at 6% it makes it hard to attract primetime players. NYC and CA have higher Jock Taxes, buy there is a lot of press, local support, local coverage, and national coverage which helps their brands and players to make more money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, noble said:

If you aren't going to a super team a player like Marshall can explain the benefits to living in the city. All things being equal between the talent in Minny, Denver, and Phoenix as in you probably aren't winning a title with the roster and the money is about the same, it comes down to area. Marshall probably talked up the area, explained life there as a public figure, and spoke to the taxes, people, etc. It is one issue with Atlanta attracting big names. It is a transient city for the most part, which makes it a hard place to call large market as there is a lot of split loyalty to teams out of state. Add in one of the higher Jock Taxes at 6% it makes it hard to attract primetime players. NYC and CA have higher Jock Taxes, buy there is a lot of press, local support, local coverage, and national coverage which helps their brands and players to make more money. 

Several really good points about how a non NBA star could impact a decision.  I really agree with the tax issue being a factor and the lack of born and bred Atlanta residents that bleed Braves, Falcons, and Hawks.  I hate seeing all the other team jerseys when the Hawks host the Knicks, Celtics, or Lakers.  

At least we have a bunch of celebrities that can help out if we get to the point where our team is attractive to a top ten player.  Gotta get the team there first then through in the extra little things to seal the deal!

49 minutes ago, ThomasCredle said:

Several really good points about how a non NBA star could impact a decision.  I really agree with the tax issue being a factor and the lack of born and bred Atlanta residents that bleed Braves, Falcons, and Hawks.  I hate seeing all the other team jerseys when the Hawks host the Knicks, Celtics, or Lakers.  

At least we have a bunch of celebrities that can help out if we get to the point where our team is attractive to a top ten player.  Gotta get the team there first then through in the extra little things to seal the deal!

I'm a rarity as I have never lived in ATL but am and have been a huge Hawks fan. I was born in OH,  grew up in NJ, lived for 15 years between NC and MD, and now live in Dallas. Been a Hawks fan since Dr. J retired. 

I have spent some time in ATL, and it is noticeable to the amount of "other" fans. Even as someone not from there I could see it. The actual tax rate is fairly low, but add in the Jock Tax and it becomes a concern to players knowing they won't get a lot of national exposure to help offset the money paid out. Add in middle of the road or lower attendance and below average season ticket holders, it's no wonder why it is hard getting FAs.

People will point to the Falcons, but they did exactly what you have to in ATL. Draft and maintain players, develop players, and get good enough where players come thinking they can win a ring. You don't hear of massive FAs coming in the other sports in ATL either. So you are right create a team bigger names will want to come to through the draft and development and ATL might finally make the finals.

Edited by noble

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

If we have an all star point guard in Dennis, and all star PF in Collins and/or SF in Prince with a bunch of young talent around them Matty Ice, Julio Jones, Lil John, or the girls from the Cheetah won't be necessary the product on floor will attract the talent.  Today is all about super team and you almost always have to home grow your first super star or three like GS.   All the other stuff is just icing on cake that we can't bake yet but I have hopes we may have the recipe and are about to start heating up the oven!

However, if Dennis is just average and if Collins and Prince shows potential but are not quite allstars, having a plan for recruiting and showing a top FA that we're interested in him... as a city and not just as a team could have a big effect.  There's only going to be so many super teams.  everybody else who are building have to be able to attract free agents.  Look at Boston.   They are attracting free agents using coach and city.  Next year, they can claim... superteam when they seek free agents.   Superteams are just not born..or drafted (except OKC, GS) but you have to be able to bring in guys.  

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, noble said:

I'm a rarity as I have never lived in ATL but am and have been a huge Hawks fan. I was born in OH,  grew up in NJ, lived for 15 years between NC and MD, and now live in Dallas. Been a Hawks fan since Dr. J retired. 

I have spent some time in ATL, and it is noticeable to the amount of "other" fans. Even as someone not from there I could see it. The actual tax rate is fairly low, but add in the Jock Tax and it becomes a concern to players knowing they won't get a lot of national exposure to help offset the money paid out. Add in middle of the road or lower attendance and below average season ticket holders, it's no wonder why it is hard getting FAs.

People will point to the Falcons, but they did exactly what you have to in ATL. Draft and maintain players, develop players, and get good enough where players come thinking they can win a ring. You don't hear of massive FAs coming in the other sports in ATL either. So you are right create a team bigger names will want to come to through the draft and development and ATL might finally make the finals.

I think overall, the way that we were going... embracing celebrities and using star power to help in recruitment is necessary for ATLANTA FA acquisitions.  I would say.. yes.. build through the draft for a couple of years... develop players.. then start trading up.   After that... then turn to FAcy... get the whole city involved.  The change in culture is necessary and won't happen overnight. 

• Like 1