• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have we been premature in disregarding Plumlee as a potential significant contributor?

sturt

• Premium Member

It's just been 13 months since these things were being said about him...

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/50-million-for-fit-and-finishes-why-the-bucks-paid-miles-plumlee-204119447.html

.... With Henson, a springy shot-blocker who has struggled with inconsistency, missing time due to injuries and Monroe frequently ineffective, as his low-post mauling proved an at-times awkward fit and his defensive issues led head coach Jason Kidd to begin bringing him off the bench, Plumlee found himself playing a more significant role in the second half. The 6-foot-11, 250-pound Duke product proved a useful reserve and spot starter, averaging 7.7 points on 60.9 percent shooting, 5.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks in 19.9 minutes per game after the All-Star break.

Perhaps most importantly, the former Phoenix starter seemed to fit comfortably and effectively alongside Milwaukee’s young linchpins. Lineups in which Plumlee played the five next to Parker, ascendant world-wrecker Giannis Antetokounmpo and smooth-scoring swingman Khris Middleton blitzed the opposition last season, according to lineup data compiled by NBAwowy.com, scoring an average of 105.9 points per 100 possessions (which would have finished between the Portland Trail Blazers and Houston Rockets as the NBA’s No. 8-ranked full-season offensive efficiency mark) while allowing 103.3-per-100 (which would’ve been 13th, right between the Oklahoma City Thunder and Detroit Pistons).

Plus-2.6-per-100 would’ve been right in line with the Miami Heat for the league’s 10th-best full-season efficiency differential. The performance only improved with more Plumlee after the All-Star break, with Bucks groups featuring that foursome outscoring opponents by a very strong 8.5 points-per-100 — now we’re talking “better than anybody but the San Antonio Spurs and Golden State Warriors” territory — thanks to a killer offense keyed by the rise of one of the NBA’s most exciting forces: Point Giannis.

Plumlee doesn’t profile as an elite interior deterrent; opponents shot 52.6 percent at the rim with him defending after the All-Star break, 44th among 84 players to defend at least four attempts per game, according to NBA.com’s SportVU player tracking data. But Milwaukee defended more effectively with him on the floor after the break (104.4 points allowed per 100 possessions) than off it (112.3 points-per-100), and rebounded the ball better in his minutes (pulling down 51.2 percent of all misses) than when he sat (just 48.2 percent of available caroms).

Plumlee doesn’t offer much offensive punch away from the bucket, with 68.7 percent of his field-goal attempts last year coming directly at the rim, according to Basketball-Reference.com’s shot charts. But he flourished when pairing with Antetokounmpo in the two-man game late in the season, helping spring the 6-foot-11 ball-handler to create for himself and others as the Bucks finally got unstuck offensively late in the season. He’s a stiff screen-setter and a whale of a finisher after the pick, averaging 1.44 points per possession finished as the roll man in the screen game last season — tops among players to have finished at least 50 such plays, better even than high-volume havoc-wreakers DeAndre Jordan and Hassan Whiteside, according to Synergy Sports Technology’s game-charting data.

Plumlee’s big, athletic and hardworking, a good low-usage finisher, and can fit into Milwaukee’s plans either in the starting lineup or off the bench. More than that, though, he’s a means to an end. For the Bucks, everything is about making life easier for and more fully unleashing the gifts of Antetokounmpo, Parker and Middleton. Plumlee might not be the best scoring threat or rim protector among Milwaukee’s bigs, but he looked more effective than Monroe or Henson in accomplishing that primary goal last year, and giving Giannis and Jabari the steadiest possible launching pad to the stratosphere is worth paying a slightly-eyebrow-arch-inducing price.

Re-upping him just one year after doing the same for Henson while also adding Maker — a project, yes, but a big one — in the first round suggests that the Bucks remain serious about trying to move Monroe, last year’s prize free-agent acquisition but a square-peg-in-round-hole fit in Kidd’s systems, provided Hammond, Zanik and company can find something of value for him. What that might be, and how much it might be, remains to be seen; if there’s anything this summer — and, for that matter, this Plumlee contract — has taught us, it’s that “value” means very different things to very different teams depending on their specific circumstances.

• Admin
I can live with a guy not putting up big numbers as long as he is very injury prone.  :locomotive:

Ha ... it should have read

He can be a solid role player even though he doesn't get big numbers but he is very injury prone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well the problem is that this article being referenced is a completely different plumlee than with Charlotte this past season.

when we first got plumlee I took the time to do some research and hop on the hornets boards to get more knowledge of plumlee and I've heard nothing positive. But what sticks out is that I've heard and read more than once that plumlee got disinterested in basketball all together and is the sole reason he fell out of the hornets rotation. He didn't want to play basketball anymore that's what I'm hearing and reading from fans and NBA radio (when the trade actually took place for Howard). You can take that however you like but something is up with him. Bucks signed the guy to a big time contract (for him) and yet he didn't even see the floor barely after that. Hornets trade for him and he starts out playing in rotation to eventually not playing at all.

you may come to the conclusion that "oh he just sucks then" but I see some good things about plumlee skill wise but I seriously question his love for basketball at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if he's just holding out and playing until this big contract (for him) ends. I don't believe he wants to play basketball....has nothing to do with skills at this point I just don't believe he really wants to get out there and play, that's my opinion after hearing and reading other comments about plumlees time in Charlotte and I hope I'm wrong cause he does have some good abilities that can fit in Buds scheme for true centers. Plus he's not disobedient so that wasn't an issue ever...again I wonder how badly he wants to play.

Bud quietly helped Dwight Howard to his best FG% and Total Rebound Percentage of his career and we all know about the many hurdles coaches have to jump with that guy.  Plumlee's bloodline and Dukie background give me some optimism that he can do a couple of things well for us.  Just have a good post defense percentage against and notable success at helping defend PNR and I'm good.  Basically a defensive accessory to Dennis.  I have no expectations for him on the offensive end.  Just try hard as hell to make him into a poor-man's Caucasian Nerlens.

Edited by benhillboy