• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Preseason Game 4: Gwizzlies at Hawks

lethalweapon3

Bembry's skillset is real nice. It's everything that an NBA player should have.

He can't shoot. That's a real issue. It's not that it's shaky, it's completely impassable for an NBA player right now. When he played he showed what he could do...if he could shoot. Would he be star level? No, but he'd be very important role player caliber level.

If he can get it to be passable, he'll have a 10+ year career due to the little things he can do (wait, ****, I know why Diesel hates him! He doesn't realize the importance of the little things in an NBA game.) but if he doesn't he's going to flame out very soon.

This is the year to work it out in games though and as for the Bazemore comments, his shooting is passable but his best fit is to go play on a team where he can be a 4th/5th option and get table scraps from a star player. If he has to create for himself outside of straight lines he's a mess.

Edited by Lurker

To piggyback off @ATLien_ point, I was watching the stream and Brevin Knight calling for the Grizz.  He pointed out Dedmon’s penchant for “running under” the guys he’s going to screen.  Collins is so excitable sometimes his form on setting just needs more repetition.  Both kinda slight of build, they need to be confident they can execute a solid screen vertically instead of extending elbows, knees, etc.

Dennis has gotten markedly better.  He broke out a few new dribbles (back to front between the legs to a driving score) and some unorthodox timing techniques on his finishes.  Better effort all around on defense, notably his biggest weakness in fighting screens.

I join in the fun when its time to bash Delaney but I’ve always thought he was a solid backup who doesn’t “take anything off the table.”

This team will author more blowouts than paper would suggest.  When they’re playing a poor team and feeling it (rare but it will happen) Bud’s philosophy of rushing past half court early in the clock will pile on points.  Many of the sets started at :18 seconds on the clock, a great way to maximize an offense that is short on talent yet very disciplined in execution.  Bembry’s versatility serves us very well late in the clock.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JTB said:

anyways I’ve been apart of this board long enough though not longer than him I know when to ignore certain members comments (if I can help it)

Same here, you and I joined right around the same time almost a decade ago. I also try to refrain from feeding it, but sometimes he tosses softballs up there and I just can’t resist. But I’ve come to realize that’s by design...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Happy for the win, but Bud has to get this pick and roll fixed. Our bigs are being taken out of the game by our less than stellar guard play. 

I've watched John Collins and Dedmon roll hard consistently for 3 pre season games and this team still really struggles to get them the ball.  Dwight got all the blame last year, but your only going to roll hard for so long when you know no payoff is coming. This is going to be a long season if I have to watch Dennis and Malcom jack shots the whole game.

In order for the roll to work the primary ball handler has to be a threat that causes the defending big man to need to hedge. James Harden is really effective at this because he's a threat at all 3 levels, so Clint Capella get's hell of roll action because of this threat. Right now the big men aren't hedging because Dennis and Malcom have no inbetween game. They are either at the basket or jacking long jumpers. Normally going to the basket would force a hedge, but the defending big is sagging under the screen because they know both PG's won't take a mid range shot. This is rendering the roll ineffective because the defending big is hugging the big man and rolling with him which in turn puts him in position to block the shot if Dennis or Malcom happen to drive. 

Also the spacing on these pick and rolls is terrible. They are literally standing on top of each other, so every pass to the big ends up being contested or in traffic pass creating a high amount of turnovers. There's alot of potential here, but Bud has to get this stuff corrected, and for the love of God give John Collins a post up every now and again or a pop. He's literally being told to roll on every play. Too predictable right now. 

Actually Dennis improved the usage of his mid range game a lot last year and took more shots from 10ft-3pt (342 shots) than from behind the arc (337). The years before your point would have been right 2015/16 10ft-3pt (209 shots) and >3pt (274)

His percentage improved for all distances, despite playing better competition as a starter

For a closer look:

Dennis' shooting numbers 2015/2016

Dennis' shooting numbers 2016/2017

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, rd79 said:

Actually Dennis improved the usage of his mid range game a lot last year and took more shots from 10ft-3pt (342 shots) than from behind the arc (337). The years before your point would have been right 2015/16 10ft-3pt (209 shots) and >3pt (274)

His percentage improved for all distances, despite playing better competition as a starter

For a closer look:

Good point! Dennis was one of the best mid range shooters in the nba last season and top two among point guards last season if I’m not mistaking (I’m sure I’m right about that) however I believe @ATLien_ was right still but it’s not due to the mid range game of our pgs...it’s completely due to 2 things when I watch....1. rushing the two man game, which can be blamed on Dennis. I think Dennis sometimes go too early and don’t let his screener completely get set as much as he should ......2. The other part can be blamed on the bigs shooting. If they can consistently knock down the jumper they will pull the opponent bigs away from the goal more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rd79 said:

For a closer look:

I believe these numbers, but the league still prefers him to shoot that shot to driving. Which creates the same issue. Maybe Bud should send out a memo to the league and let them know Dennis can shoot because they are certainly still going under on him more times than not.  The league playing under is limiting the roller. If Dennis starts killing them the league will adjust and the rollers will be free, so maybe he just needs to continue to prove with a larger sample size.

But to @JTBpoint the timing and spacing on these pick plays is all out of wack. I would also argue we roll too much. We are way to predictable when a pick is called. I'm hoping this is just us holding back for the pre season. 

• Like 1

True.  Makes me lament the loss of the Al PNP; that thang was automatic.  The Sap Slip Screen was massive too.  I have no doubt over time we’ll have one of the more efficient Screen Attacks.  Dedmon rolls too hard and Collins too active not to.  With Jent I'm hoping the mid range game from both the handler and screener will be a point of emphasis.  Gotta have some variety in there. 

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

So, until Dennis gets old and stops driving, the scouting report will always be to go under

Spot on.  You know it is coming so our offense should be structured around that assumption.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

'fro sho'...

~lw3

Anxious to see him progress through the season.  Was he taking a slick shot at Baze calling himself the team’s best defender?  Gotta love the competitiveness.  I like his dribble: resets well, doesn’t favor any one hand.  He’s a pretty unique player I can’t compare anyone too: Classic SG size but can’t shoot worth a damn, guards like a 3, and facilitates like a 1. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Spot on.  You know it is coming so our offense should be structured around that assumption.

Exactly, which begs the question why are we such a roll heavy offense . I'm waiting to see what adjustments Bud makes when the real games start. 

2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Exactly, which begs the question why are we such a roll heavy offense . I'm waiting to see what adjustments Bud makes when the real games start. 

I’m thinking or at the least hoping that the frequent hard rolls were just a preseason thing and come regular season we will see more.....if not well let’s just get ready for that top 3 pick cause offensively we’ll be way too predictable. But I know bud is smarter than that to let that roll.

Bembry needs more overall confidence. He plays with comfortability on the defensive end. I think his mid range game is solid. He just has to be more assertive and less passive. His long range game will take YEARS to rectify. He's probably the best finisher on the team so that's another plus for his outlook. 

Kenny Atkinson would salivate on the development of this type of player. 

Edited by Kimsey
  • Like 1