• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big Baller Does it Again

Lurker

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

This is EXACTLY what I mean with a dad being so overbearing, a franchise cannot stand it. Truthfully, I feel bad for Lonzo, he's in a no win situation here.

Also @KB21, you were 100% correct on the Lakers. That's an absolute dumpster fire that will not be fixed for over a decade no matter who is there.

• Like 2

• Moderators

The Lakers could turn quickly with FAs and shouldn't be this bad right now.  Lavar sure doesn't help though.  I'd think super hard about passing on his other sons if I would otherwise be inclined to draft them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 1/7/2018 at 0:16 PM, Lurker said:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

This is EXACTLY what I mean with a dad being so overbearing, a franchise cannot stand it. Truthfully, I feel bad for Lonzo, he's in a no win situation here.

Also @KB21, you were 100% correct on the Lakers. That's an absolute dumpster fire that will not be fixed for over a decade no matter who is there.

No Lonzo has a win in this.  It's called being a man and telling his father to stepback.   The only way that this is going to work for him is if he man up and steps to his father. 

On 1/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, AHF said:

The Lakers could turn quickly with FAs and shouldn't be this bad right now.  Lavar sure doesn't help though.  I'd think super hard about passing on his other sons if I would otherwise be inclined to draft them.

Dennis for Lonzo...  The guy is going to be a super talent. 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Diesel said:

No Lonzo has a win in this.  It's called being a man and telling his father to stepback.   The only way that this is going to work for him is if he man up and steps to his father. 

He hasn't shown any inclination to push back on his father yet.  I hope for his sake that he does.  

• Like 1

Funny that people are only mad for Lavar speaking out, and not examining what he actually said.  Because when you examine what he said, Lavar was absolutely right.

The Lakers are normally an ultra soft team that simply likes to play offense.  Lonzo, ironically, is one of the best help defenders on the team, despite normally being passive most of the game.

What you saw out of the Lakers on Sunday night, was probably some of the best effort they had all year.  It was almost like they were trying to prove someone wrong.

The real question with them is, why did it take for Lavar to call out Walton and indirectly call out the team, in order for them to play hard on the defensive end?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

• Moderators

Lavar has criticized and undermined every coach any of his kids have played for over the last 3 years.  (Not sure about farther back.)  Further, it undermines Lonzo's standing everytime Lavar does something like this and Lonzo has to issue some mealy-mouthed non-response: 

Reporter:  "Is your father right that you and others don't play hard for Coach Walton?"

Lonzo:  "I will play for anyone."

Reporter:  "Could you phrase that in a more passive way that makes it clear you don't have  your coach's back?"

Lonzo:  "No.  I think I nailed it the first time.  I'm going back to practice now."

I think the reason people are mad is because it seems disruptive to both the team and his son in an effort to get himself in the news.

The Lakers are going to continue to struggle since most of their team is a big net negative on the defensive end (like Kuzma and Randle for a couple of stat stuffers who struggle on D).

I don’t know what to make of the Lakers besides they’re pretty fun to watch.  They tanking with a lot of talent.  Lonzo will be fine as long as his foundation is rebounding and pushing.  Couldn’t give a sh@t about his dad or any hardened troll.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I don’t know what to make of the Lakers besides they’re pretty fun to watch.  They tanking with a lot of talent.  Lonzo will be fine as long as his foundation is rebounding and pushing.  Couldn’t give a sh@t about his dad or any hardened troll.

They aren't tanking, though.  They have no first round pick.  It is more that they are treading water to set themselves up for free agency.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

They aren't tanking, though.  They have no first round pick.  It is more that they are treading water to set themselves up for free agency.

Well damn.  Didn’t know that.  Luckily Magic will coax someone into coming there but they better be a lot better than Paul George.  Laker Greats rolling around in their graves looking at the Celtics get homecourt advantage and lotto picks every damn year.

On second thought there may be some validity to what Bag of Balls said.  Maybe a sterner/better coach gets more out of the talent they have.  Their individual pieces are all touted around the league.  Nevermind Brook stealing all the Lakers’ money shooting 28 foot threes.  That signing was the first head scratcher for Magic.  Brook needs heavy vet leadership or he’ll just drift into space.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

Walton is a young coach.  He kept Kerr's machine running fine but it was Kerr's machine and he was just doing maintenance.  Building something in LA may prove to be too much for him but he is learning on the job similar to young players.  I am sure there are coaches that could do a better job there.  I am sure that the coach could be Phil Jackson in his prime and Bag of Balls would criticize him.

• Like 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't wish LaVar on any other team except the Lakers.  They deserve each other.

And no, not even the Selltics.

I wish him on the Selltics too.  Maybe they can draft one of the brothers.