• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The trade deadline is Here.

Diesel

• Premium Member
18 minutos atrás, thescout disse:

Once again Hawks management comes through as underwelming.Hawks probably offered 10 cents to the dollar for their players simply because many teams are trying toget rid of players thus driving the cost way down.Hawks can't sign significant free agents the only thing they can hope for is a high pick to get a potential superstar.Unfortunately other teams are trying the same thjng so it will be a dog fight for the top picks.

Y'all got to stop crying at some point and wait and see what happens!

• Like 1

I was confident Marco would be traded. Ersan not so much with his no trade clause and the report saying he wasn't interested in relocating. And apparently he did use that to stick around. Disappointing, but we kept hearing how rough the market was. I was hoping Schlenk could figure something out, though. The big loss tonight made me feel better. 

Also, I like Cleveland getting some decent players under contract beyond this season. Gotta feel like that increases our chances of getting their pick.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Y'all got to stop crying at some point and wait and see what happens!

Fair point.  They came through yesterday.  As long as the losses keep coming, the deadline won't matter.

7 hours ago, High5 said:

I was confident Marco would be traded. Ersan not so much with his no trade clause and the report saying he wasn't interested in relocating. And apparently he did use that to stick around. Disappointing, but we kept hearing how rough the market was. I was hoping Schlenk could figure something out, though. The big loss tonight made me feel better. 

Also, I like Cleveland getting some decent players under contract beyond this season. Gotta feel like that increases our chances of getting their pick.

I agree, those Cleveland moves yesterday were huge. Hill and Love should make a competitive pairing even without LeBron, If they take a decent player with the Nets pick, who knows how good they could be.

The Cavs could still go into tank mode by moving Hill and Love next season; but I think Gilbert just may like what he has added to his core. It does not take a lot to continue being competitive in the East.

49 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Hawks shouldn't give him one. Teams wouldn't trade for him then he sits on the bench while the tank rolls on. Giving him a buyout just gives teams in the future an excuse not to trade and just wait for a buyout

That is my question above. What sense did this make other than some cash? I mean it lowers your ability in the future seasons if teams are just like, screw trading, we will wait for a buyout and not lose much. 

Edited by noble
  • Like 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, noble said:

That is my question above. What sense did this make other than some cash? I mean it lowers your ability in the future seasons if teams are just like, screw trading, we will wait for a buyout and not lose much. 

You aren't going to play him anymore and it saves you cash.  Basically, you do it primarily because it is the right way to treat players and you want them to sign with you in the future.  If you hold him hostage on the bench, you could poison your reputation.  And we should absolutely be benching some of these vets.

As I posted on the other thread, I hope it will prove to be a cautionary tale for some teams as well.  Sounds like at least a half dozen teams want Belli and could have had him for an expiring and a future 2nd round pick.  If their rival gets him, maybe they will think twice about passing on a low cost deal like that next time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

You aren't going to play him anymore and it saves you cash.  Basically, you do it primarily because it is the right way to treat players and you want them to sign with you in the future.  If you hold him hostage on the bench, you could poison your reputation.  And we should absolutely be benching some of these vets.

As I posted on the other thread, I hope it will prove to be a cautionary tale for some teams as well.  Sounds like at least a half dozen teams want Belli and could have had him for an expiring and a future 2nd round pick.  If their rival gets him, maybe they will think twice about passing on a low cost deal like that next time.

I get the cash and I get fundamentally the way to treat players, but when has treating players right actually netted us anything? I'm fine with the move for cash, it just bothers me the flaw in the NBA when it comes to the trade deadline and how seemingly easy it is for some teams to trade, get pieces, and acquire picks and how it hard it is for other teams. Its the similar flaw in free agency. This is a business and while financially it saves more for the future, it does little else. 

I guess I was hoping we could have still gotten some value that would bring talent in at some point, since as we all know our history of getting it in FA is marginal at best.

Edited by noble

• Premium Member
4 horas atrás, AHF disse:

Basically, you do it primarily because it is the right way to treat players and you want them to sign with you in the future.  If you hold him hostage on the bench, you could poison your reputation. 

Like we did with Humphries? Hell we don't even treat the future of the franchise right in John Collins...Why should anyone care about Belinelli?

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Like we did with Humphries? Hell we don't even treat the future of the franchise right in John Collins...Why should anyone care about Belinelli?

The biggest reason is you want to lose.  It is also the biggest difference.  You were trying to win so you don't give up Hump. Want to lose?  Get rid of Belli.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

The biggest reason is you want to lose.  It is also the biggest difference.  You were trying to win so you don't give up Hump. Want to lose?  Get rid of Belli.

Common sense, it’s what’s for dinner.

• Premium Member
12 horas atrás, AHF disse:

The notion that Belinelli was winning games for the Hawks is laughable!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

The notion that Belinelli was winning games for the Hawks is laughable!

He's got about the same number of win shares as Dennis, Ilya, Dedmon and Baze (better numbers than Baze other than MP).  I've no doubt Dorsey getting those minutes is good for his development and the tank.  Can't just be letting Belli go, though.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

He's got about the same number of win shares as Dennis, Ilya, Dedmon and Baze (better numbers than Baze other than MP).  I've no doubt Dorsey getting those minutes is good for his development and the tank.  Can't just be letting Belli go, though.

Dorsey > Belinelli

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Dorsey > Belinelli

Based on what?  Belli has been pretty good this year.  #1 among all our guards (Baze and Dennis included) in both PER and WS/48.  Most efficient scorer (among guards).  I think Baze has been better due to his D but the difference isn't big.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Based on what?  Belli has been pretty good this year.  #1 among all our guards (Baze and Dennis included) in both PER and WS/48.  Most efficient scorer.  I think Baze is better due to his D but the difference isn't big.

So you think that Belinelli is a comparable player to Dennis and Baze?  Bruh!

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So you think that Belinelli is a comparable player to Dennis and Baze?  Bruh!

He scores more than Baze and does it more efficiently.  Makes the right passes and turns the ball over less.  He isn't as good a defender.  Pretty much sums it up.

Belli and Dennis play very different roles.  Apples to oranges.  Neither defends well.  Belli is more efficient as a scorer.  Dennis is creating more on his own less efficiently.  I give Dennis the edge for sure based on the much higher demands he has to carry.  That said, he has fallen off significantly from early this year and several metrics have Belli as better based entirely on Dennis's diminishing returns as a shooter this season.  I think that speaks more to how much Dennis has fallen off.  28% from 3 is brutal.