• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who here is finding it hard to watch the BBall?

Diesel

• Premium Member
9 minutos atrás, Diesel disse:

With my favorite team tanking, it's hard watching basketball.  I mean, the trade deadline just killed me.   Watching the League bend to Lebron to make for a more exciting finals. 

If BBall is Bud ball then we are in agreement!

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 2/11/2018 at 8:06 PM, Diesel said:

With my favorite team tanking, it's hard watching basketball.  I mean, the trade deadline just killed me.   Watching the League bend to Lebron to make for a more exciting finals. 

I've been at odds with the NBA for three years now.  The NFL and NBA are so top heavy that only 3-4 teams every year actually have a shot at winning a title.  The WCF will be Houston vs. GS.  The ECF will be Boston vs. Cleveland.  Everything between now and then just doesn't matter and every other team should be thinking draft position.  One positive that the NHL and MLB has is that every team that makes the playoffs has a shot at winning it all which is proven by all of the 8 seeds that make it to the Stanley Cup and the fact that the Astros, Cubs, and Royals (historically bad franchises) have all won the World Series now.  Look at the past 15 years of NBA and NFL championship winners and then compare that to the last 15 years of NHL and MLB championship winners.  A lot more teams have won in the NHL and MLB than in the NBA and NFL.

Both the NBA and NFL have huge issues with competitiveness and have formed leagues that worship players over teams.  The NHL and MLB doesn't have this problem, but it is a catch 22.  You need superstars to sell tickets, but you want to maintain the image of team first.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

You can't compare the NFL to the NBA in terms of parity. The NFL is light years ahead of the NBA. The NBA is essentially an individual sport masquerading as a team sport. The best superstar driven teams win the title every year. The NFL has different teams winning championships all the time.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Most of it is not so much an NBA issue per se as a basketball issue.  Individual players just have a much higher impact in basketball and football is much more team dependent.  Take the 3 best players in the game and fill the rest of the roster with guys at the level of our worst vets and you win the ring every year.

In the NFL, take the best 9 guys in the league and then fill out the roster with scrubs and you'll get your *%%# handed to you every year.

• Like 1

• Moderators
the NFL has issues but I don't think lack of competitiveness is one of them. The Eagles just won their first championship, the Falcons' had their first championship basically in the bag and sealed and miraculously let it slip away. Eight different teams have won the last 9 superbowls, with New England being the only team with multipe championships. No team has won back to back championships since New England in 2003-2004.  We just had a season where 8 out of the 12 playoff teams hadn't made the playoffs the year before. Not even close to comparable to basketball's lack of parity. 

Competition maybe slightly better than the NBA, but I don’t think it’s by much. The AFC is a joke especially since Peyton retired. It’s the Patriots and everybody else. Out of the last 15 Super Bowls, New England has been in 7 of them. Pittsburgh in 3 and Peyton in 3. That’s 3 QB’s in 12 the last 15 Super Bowls for the AFC. NFC is more competitive than the AFC.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Competition maybe slightly better than the NBA, but I don’t think it’s by much. The AFC is a joke especially since Peyton retired. It’s the Patriots and everybody else. Out of the last 15 Super Bowls, New England has been in 7 of them. Pittsburgh in 3 and Peyton in 3. That’s 3 QB’s in 12 the last 15 Super Bowls for the AFC. NFC is more competitive than the AFC.

I view New England as a historic aberration in the NFL.  The sheer length of time of their dominance is amazing.  I hate them and think they've gotten some help along the way but have to respect them.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I view New England as a historic aberration in the NFL.  The sheer length of time of their dominance is amazing.  I hate them and think they've gotten some help along the way but have to respect them.  

Not that hard to be the Patriots when the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills have all been somewhere between terrible and subpar for the last 20 years.  Patriots are gifted 5-6 wins every season being in that division while every team in the NFC has to fight for the division.

I'm getting off my soapbox on the Pats now. lol

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Not that hard to be the Patriots when the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills have all been somewhere between terrible and subpar for the last 20 years.  Patriots are gifted 5-6 wins every season being in that division while every team in the NFC has to fight for the division.

I'm getting off my soapbox on the Pats now. lol

That doesn't hurt but it is their playoff success that really stands out.  Even with some helpful key calls and no-calls, it is remarkable.

Between the Falcons collapse in the Superbowl and the Hawks tank,  I've watched less sports this sports year than ever. I usually watch 77-82 Hawks games a year. I've probably watched 6 whole Hawks games the whole season.

The irony is I watched the Smith, Childress, Horford Hawks no problem,  but those guys had a big role and I watched to see them grow. Watching them was actually fun. Watching this current Hawks roster has no intrigue or purpose. John Collins, the guy who should be getting developed, has been reduced to a pick and roll robot who barely touches the ball. His game is shrinking from college not expanding. Dennis is what he is there is no intrigue there and he's an above average player. If I tune in I'm stuck watching journeyman and career backups take shots my rookie should be getting. I have no need to watch Kent Bazemore and Marco and Dennis jack up shots all game. 

I think I'm just at a point in my life where I'm not going to support a bad uninteresting product. Hard for me to say because I love basketball.  Hoping we strike gold in the draft Ayton would be nice then we could have Collins and Ayton roll in stereo. Bud will turn him into Clint Capella in no time. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Good thing there si two conferences then. When Brady retires we will have parity in the AFC again. The Patriots dynasty is unique to the entire history of the league and is not going to be repeated any time soon. In the NBA dynasty's always exist.  There has been only 1 decade, the 70's, that didn't have 1 or 2 teams absolutely dominate a decade. In the 50's you had the Lakers winning five championships. In the 60's you had the Celtics win 9 championships in 10 years. In the 80's you had the Celtics and Lakers win 8 championships between them. in the 90's you had 6 by the Bulls 2 by the Rockets. 2000's  you have 7 championships between the Lakers and Spurs. It's not even close to what you see in football.  It took the Pats 15 years to rack up 5 championships, going 12 years in between championships at one point. In reality they are like two different dynasty's led by the same QB and coach. Before that the most dominante dynasty's were Cowboys (three in four seasons), Steelers (four in 6 seasons) and Niners (four spread out over 10 years). If you add up all the wins by the four major dynasty's in football (16) you don't even reach the number of championships the Celtics have on their own (17). 

It's true that football is a QB dominated league, and that makes it have a higher concentration of championships than MLB and Hockey. But NBA is on a league all it's own, in terms of championship concentration.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Between the Falcons collapse in the Superbowl and the Hawks tank,  I've watched less sports this sports year than ever. I usually watch 77-82 Hawks games a year. I've probably watched 6 whole Hawks games the whole season.

The irony is I watched the Smith, Childress, Horford Hawks no problem,  but those guys had a big role and I watched to see them grow. Watching them was actually fun. Watching this current Hawks roster has no intrigue or purpose. John Collins, the guy who should be getting developed, has been reduced to a pick and roll robot who barely touches the ball. His game is shrinking from college not expanding. Dennis is what he is there is no intrigue there and he's an above average player. If I tune in I'm stuck watching journeyman and career backups take shots my rookie should be getting. I have no need to watch Kent Bazemore and Marco and Dennis jack up shots all game. 

I think I'm just at a point in my life where I'm not going to support a bad uninteresting product. Hard for me to say because I love basketball.  Hoping we strike gold in the draft Ayton would be nice then we could have Collins and Ayton roll in stereo. Bud will turn him into Clint Capella in no time. 

I feel your pain. I didn't watch much of the Falcons this past year. I will never forgive them for what they did to me and all Falcon fans in that debacle.

This is why in regards to the NBA it doesn't hurt having a "1A" team, usually one in the other conference. I am having a lot of fun watching the TWolves and Nuggets this season.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

The Falcons choke still hurts me to this day and I don't see it fading any time soon.  I can't imagine what Bills fans or Jazz fans went through during the 90's though. lol

I dont think anybody thought that the Jazz could beat the Bulls?  They were just happy to be there. 

The Bills are more like it.  3 of the 4 times, the Bills should have won... 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

The Falcons choke still hurts me to this day and I don't see it fading any time soon.  I can't imagine what Bills fans or Jazz fans went through during the 90's though. lol

The Bills situation was pretty bad, but there's no comparison to the Falcons being up by that much and just collapsing. At least the Bills got beat soundly for the most part so the fans were 'prepared' for the let down. The Falcons loss was virtually impossible. Literally everything had to go wrong for the Falcons and everything had to go right for the Patriots in the 4th quarter. Even with the Patriots surging, all the Falcons had to do was eat the clock. I will NEVER forgive our former OC for putting his ego above the game. I hope Shanahan never sniffs the Playoffs with the 49ers.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The Bills situation was pretty bad, but there's no comparison to the Falcons being up by that much and just collapsing. At least the Bills got beat soundly for the most part so the fans were 'prepared' for the let down. The Falcons loss was virtually impossible. Literally everything had to go wrong for the Falcons and everything had to go right for the Patriots in the 4th quarter. Even with the Patriots surging, all the Falcons had to do was eat the clock. I will NEVER forgive our former OC for putting his ego above the game. I hope Shanahan never sniffs the Playoffs with the 49ers.

Shanahan went super conservative early in the second half with led to a bunch of 3 and outs.  Then he started throwing more which helped them with the clock.  Sticking with one approach would have been better than what was literally the worst possible outcome from the offense other than just coughing the ball up repeatedly.  

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hawkman said:

Disagree.  The Bills Dominated the League all year with Thurmond Thomas, Jim Kelly, and the no huddle.  3 years straight.  At the end of the day, it was a poor Looking NY team that was able to use Phil Sims to hold the ball longer and not let them score and still needed a missed FG to win it.  The Bills was like watching Mike Tyson getting knocked out in his prime... under Cus D' Amato.

We were a very good team. We just wasn't dominating nor did we have everybody saying we would win.  We were surprised to be up by so much at the half.