• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

Those tweets probably won’t age well.  Quinn Cook has, thus far, been a replacement-level NBA player.  He got hot for one game against one of the league’s worst teams.  The difference between a “breakout” and a fluke is what happens down the road.  You can only call a breakout game in hindsight.  

• Like 2

Biiiig day for the Hawks

1. Nuggets lost (Security for Minnesota pick)

2. Grizzlies won! Thanks Nuggets

3. Brooklyn won (more separation to keep us in the top 4)

4. Hawks lost and TP played like a keeper.

5. Knicks won (Don't think this really matters to us anymore but it doesn't hurt)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DBac said:

Biiiig day for the Hawks

1. Nuggets lost (Security for Minnesota pick)

2. Grizzlies won! Thanks Nuggets

3. Brooklyn won (more separation to keep us in the top 4)

4. Hawks lost and TP played like a keeper.

5. Knicks won (Don't think this really matters to us anymore but it doesn't hurt)

Yep.  It’s a big day for those that want the team to lose for the next five years.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  It’s a big day for those that want the team to lose for the next five years.  

Nope it’s a good day for the team bc this is the oath they chose...rather you accept it or not this is the path they are taking and a day like this is great for the team 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So if we win the rest of our games this season and get an 8-12th pick we will be better the next 5 years? I'm trying to understand your logic.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, GameTime said:

So if we win the rest of our games this season and get an 8-12th pick we will be better the next 5 years? I'm trying to understand your logic.

He is angry at the preseason decision to let vets walk and accept a losing season in hopes of a top pick.  There is no logical reason not to cheer against the improvement in our draft odds or against the continued development of one of our high potential young players.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Yes.  If we had the 8th pick and got Mikal Bridges, he is a player that will have an earlier impact than most of the guys who will go at the top of the draft.  I don’t want to wait 4-5 years on a player to mature.  

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

He is angry at the preseason decision to let vets walk and accept a losing season in hopes of a top pick.  There is no logical reason not to cheer against the improvement in our draft odds or against the continued development of one of our high potential young players.

Winning out would mean more for the development of John Collins and Taurean Prince than getting the number one pick would mean for their development.  Players don’t develop properly in a losing environment.  

Also, the decision they made this off season wasn’t to accept a losing season.  It was to accept multiple losing seasons.  

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yes.  If we had the 8th pick and got Mikal Bridges, he is a player that will have an earlier impact than most of the guys who will go at the top of the draft.  I don’t want to wait 4-5 years on a player to mature.  

Winning out would mean more for the development of John Collins and Taurean Prince than getting the number one pick would mean for their development.  Players don’t develop properly in a losing environment.  

Also, the decision they made this off season wasn’t to accept a losing season.  It was to accept multiple losing seasons.  

You come off as the grumpy old guy who is stuck in the days of flip phone and pagers.  The good part of all this is that like it or not, it's here.  If you hate it so much, there are plenty of teams with two to three superstars you can gloat over.    

I don't see a ten year rebuild like you do.  I see a new GM  that had to undo what BudCox did which was put the team in a crap position by not maximizing assets.  So either buy the team or become GM , otherwise as a fan, wait to see what direction they go in instead of offering the same take every post.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Prince has scored his career high twice on 50% or better shooting in both cases in a 4 game stretch and they lost all 4 games is that him not improving in a "losing environment". 

Edited by davis171
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Prince has scored his career high twice on 50% or better shooting in both cases in a 4 game stretch and they lost all 4 games is that him not improving in a "losing environment". 

His entire season has been inconsistent at best.  A four game sample doesn’t off set that he has not met expectations this year particularly on defense.  

I have zero doubt that both Taurean and Dennis would be better now had the Hawks kept Paul.  

8 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Truth is, wins are important, but they're like 3rd on the list behind development and coaching unless you're talking about college. Then in college....lol, if we want to talk about the AAU and shoe leagues not being helpful...uh, I don't think college gives a crap about developing you. They care about wins 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all the time.

I don't like tanking, but I don't like staying the course if it's mediocrity either. Even if you just keep vets and let guys like THJ and Ilyasova walk, you likely still have a mediocre team this year. I don't get as much of an emotional rush from losses in longer seasons, but mediocrity irritates me more than just being bad...and guess what, taking away draft picks doesn't fix what some may be getting mad about.

I think that actually does start but not in the offseason after this season, in the 18/19 season. If teams are making blatantly obvious tanking moves, they might get picks taken away. If it's just they're bad but not sitting anyone, etc then nothing will happen.

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

We might as well start talking about that top 3 pick the Hawks will get in 2019 and what over hyped prospect they will take that will not help them win anytime soon.  

Dude, stop Debbie Downing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Right now, I'm not for development over pick.  I want the Hawks to get the best pick possible.  However, I do agree with KB that this is a multiyear process (the way that it was done).  We have gone from Mediocrity and we're going to mediocrity however, now, it's going to be a longterm climb back to mediocrity. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, deester11 said:

You come off as the grumpy old guy who is stuck in the days of flip phone and pagers.  The good part of all this is that like it or not, it's here.  If you hate it so much, there are plenty of teams with two to three superstars you can gloat over.    

I don't see a ten year rebuild like you do.  I see a new GM  that had to undo what BudCox did which was put the team in a crap position by not maximizing assets.  So either buy the team or become GM , otherwise as a fan, wait to see what direction they go in instead of offering the same take every post.

Damn.  is this post back from the time when BK became GM?  It sounds eerily the same.  Except it was "I see a new GM that had to undo what Babcock did". 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Damn.  is this post back from the time when BK became GM?  It sounds eerily the same.  Except it was "I see a new GM that had to undo what Babcock did". 

Babcock was horrible and he invested lots of time, picks, and money into building a losing veteran team.  BK did have to undo what Babcock did, and he got the first part right.  He tanked real good.  His problem was that he was horrible at the draft and his vision for the team was gimmicky.  But, at the time of our 13-win season, it would’ve been correct to defend him against rash judgments. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Dude, stop Debbie Downing.

It’s called being realistic.  I realize how far off from playing winning basketball these prospects are and how far off this team is.  

Marvin Bagley and Zion Williamson aren’t going to make this team win anytime soon, much less be that championship core some think they will get all because this team tanked.  

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Funny Diesel, but Budcox was terrible.  No need to tell me how great they were though.