• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I they get a first ballot HOF at #1 overall with their next rebuild like they have their last couple of times they fell off the wagon they will indeed recover very quickly.

And if Dorsey, Collins, Prince, and Hawks 3 1sts develop well and quickly then what?

Edited by hazer

12 hours ago, buckyboy2 said:

2-1 is definitely not getting ran out of the 1st rd. lol

Does it bother us that he’s always right?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, buckyboy2 said:

2-1 is definitely not getting ran out of the 1st rd. lol

Just now, hazer said:

Does it bother us that he’s always right?

Bud’s gonna help the Suns win 20 more games next season as their new head coach too ;)

• Like 1

They can be up 3-1 over Miami all they want. Fact is tanking doesn’t work. Young players can’t win. They won’t make the playoffs. Well they won’t win 50 games then. Well they won’t get past a veteran Miami squad then. Y’all salty I’m always right, or naw?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, hazer said:

They can be up 3-1 over Miami all they want. Fact is tanking doesn’t work. Young players can’t win. They won’t make the playoffs. Well they won’t win 50 games then. Well they won’t get past a veteran Miami squad then. Y’all salty I’m always right, or naw?

Do you guys really think that the 76ers are the posterboys for tanking?

I mean, this is the biggest strawman ever.   The 76ers are built on the fact that neither of the #1 picks were able to play for a whole year which allowed them to be bad enough to be #1 the next year.  They have amassed a team of #1 picks.   Your picture of tanking is Phoenix or Sacramento.   Who gets a lottery pick and then are just good enough to be late lottery or midround after that.  They never get great picks in a row. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I mean, this is the biggest strawman ever.   The 76ers are built on the fact that neither of the #1 picks were able to play for a whole year which allowed them to be bad enough to be #1 the next year.  They have amassed a team of #1 picks.   Your picture of tanking is Phoenix or Sacramento.   Who gets a lottery pick and then are just good enough to be late lottery or midround after that.  They never get great picks in a row. 

No, I don’t. Took far too long with too many bad decisions along the way. Read the rest of my post, it’s all about crow for someone who claims to always be right but couldn’t be more wrong about the 6-era. It’s not an ideological post, it’s a specific one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

I mean, this is the biggest strawman ever.  

A “straw man” is when someone represents your argument with a caricature that is easy to defeat, like a straw man would be in a boxing match.  

The irony here is that in saying “you think the 76ers are the posterboys for tanking,” you are creating a straw man argument for everyone who thinks the Hawks should have “tanked”.  

Nobody said we can emulate the 76ers or should expect to repeat their success, but what has been argued here is that “tanking doesn’t work”.  That is no strawman, it is a direct quote from @KB21.  To defeat that argument, we only need to show that it can work or has worked.  The 76ers are a useful case for that. 

13 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

A “straw man” is when someone represents your argument with a caricature that is easy to defeat, like a straw man would be in a boxing match.  

The irony here is that in saying “you think the 76ers are the posterboys for tanking,” you are creating a straw man argument for everyone who thinks the Hawks should have “tanked”.  

Nobody said we can emulate the 76ers or should expect to repeat their success, but what has been argued here is that “tanking doesn’t work”.  That is no strawman, it is a direct quote from @KB21.  To defeat that argument, we only need to show that it can work or has worked.  The 76ers are a useful case for that. 

No, they aren't.  But keep thinking that taking 5 years to get back to the playoffs is a strategy that defines working.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

No, they aren't.  But keep thinking that taking 5 years to get back to the playoffs is a strategy that defines working.

Ok, keep thinking that posting a negative scoring differential with a capped-out veteran roster, getting embarrassed in the playoffs, and then crossing your fingers that the same crappy roster can back into another low seed and another playoff annihilation is a strategy that defines working.  I can barely contain my excitement over Dwight half-assing us to 38 wins.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Ok, keep thinking that posting a negative scoring differential with a capped-out veteran roster, getting embarrassed in the playoffs, and then crossing your fingers that the same crappy roster can back into another low seed and another playoff annihilation is a strategy that defines working.  I can barely contain my excitement over Dwight half-assing us to 38 wins.  

And yet, the same argument will be, "but we made the playoffs and that's how you build championship teams ....!". So the tank will take 5 years but the 10 straight years we made the playoffs,  FA'S were kicking in the door to get to Atlanta.  I guess the message is aim low so you can be happy with one and done playoff appearances.  Just as stupid as us people who want to re-tool....I mean tank.

6 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

That's versus losing 60 plus games a season with a "young and fun" roster.