• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You do when it is hard to find a coach willing to take the job knowing the situation he is going into.

You are also insinuating that this team did not play hard for Bud, which isn't surprising considering your obvious bias against Mike Budenholzer.  The fact is, this team was in a lot more games closely than they should have been based on their talent level, and that is nothing but a testament to how Mike Budenholzer got them to play hard and over their heads.

Do you think Prince played hard on defense?

• Premium Member

Here's the deal.  We had a pretty good team with Sap and Horford.  Imo we should have never let Teague go.  That being said, we have to get a superstar to get to the level the franchise is going for.  This is all on Schlenk to get that next star player in this draft right? 

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, AHF said:

If Schlenk thinks the next draft is worthless he won't do it but my guess is that won't be his view and that he will want to build up a larger batch of young talent before turning the team's focus to winning.

So how can you make that judgment this early if you don't know who you are targeting in the draft?  Just not sound logic

The Braves have the three youngest players in baseball, one of which leads the league in homers.  And they’re in first place so far.  They also have the top minor league system.  Today at AAA Gwinnett, their top pitcher Allard pitched an 8-inning shutout and the third baseman, Riley, hit 3 homers, went 4-5, with 8 RBI.  

Baseball is very different than NBA, but the experience of having potential to be excited about is something I can’t recall experiencing with the Hawks.  The last time I was really excited about a season was the year we signed Mutumbo.  That’s sad.  If it gets us half the potential the Braves have, the tank will have been worth it.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, CBAreject said:

The Braves have the three youngest players in baseball, one of which leads the league in homers.  And they’re in first place so far.  They also have the top minor league system.  Today at AAA Gwinnett, their top pitcher Allard pitched an 8-inning shutout and the third baseman, Riley, hit 3 homers, went 4-5, with 8 RBI.  

Baseball is very different than NBA, but the experience of having potential to be excited about is something I can’t recall experiencing with the Hawks.  The last time I was really excited about a season was the year we signed Mutumbo.  That’s sad.  If it gets us half the potential the Braves have, the tank will have been worth it.  

The Braves built their team mainly through trades.  They traded older players for prospects...One of the best trades was the Shelby Miller trade

49 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Here's the difference.  If you want to draw a direct comparison between the Hawks and the Braves, what the Hawks are going to go through for the next 5 years with these prospects would be similar to what would have happened if the Braves had simply put Austin Riley, Mike Soroka, and Kolby Allard in the line up from day 1 and expected them to develop properly.  Those guys, along with Acuna and Albies developed in a true minor league system and did not cause the parent club to lose games during their development.

The Hawks though, they didn't do this like the Braves did.  The Hawks basically trashed the roster and didn't add any significant assets or players in the process.

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2018 at 7:29 AM, AHF said:

@Vol4ever Wanted to post this so you had full warning.  @KB21 is well aware this thread was set up to be the home of general thoughts about tanking, what tanking means for this team, the moral imperatives around tanking, etc.  The conversation on tanking is perfectly fine but we have developed a problem with people injecting it into threads and derailing the threads.  

I have previously been splitting those posts off into this thread and giving people a verbal heads up to knock it off.  Lately, however, I am working a lot more hours and have little time for that policing let alone enjoying the board.  So the next time it happens I will simply be handing out a suspension to the derailing poster.

You are free to post in a thread like one on coaches or draft prospects and let people know you will be sharing your thoughts on what tanking means for these players or the new coach, etc in the tank thread but don't post your thoughts on that thread because it will provoke argument and derail the thread.  

I just don't have time to keep mitigating the disruption of discussion on a given topic in order to rehash the same issues raised in this thread.  

This heads up is not directed at both you and KB specifically -- it applies to everyone but since you were both part of it on the new coach thread I wanted to make sure it got to your attention directly.  Both of you are good longterm posters who are part of the Squawk community and should be for a long time into the future but this problem has been a recurring one and I need you guys to do some self editing by focusing this provocative conversion in this thread and not spreading it across the board into discussions intended by the op to be on other topics.

Please help me out on this.  Thanks.

There are boards where this kind of respectful, adult-to-adult response wouldn't happen.

So, I just had to do some of this.... 

picard_clapping.gif

• Like 1

@KB21 and @Peoriabird

I specifically said in my post that MLB and NBA are different.  The point was not that the Braves’ and Hawks’ rebuilds are similar in any way or should be so.  The point was strictly that I’m excited about the Braves and wish I could be excited about the Hawks.  Full stop.  

And what does @KB21 do?  Starts his rebuttal of the nonexistent straw man he made up with “if you want to draw a direct comparison between the Braves and Hawks”.  Well, I stopped reading right there, because if you aren’t going to bother to read my post, @KB21, I’m sure not going to bother to read yours.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

@KB21 and @Peoriabird

I specifically said in my post that MLB and NBA are different.  The point was not that the Braves’ and Hawks’ rebuilds are similar in any way or should be so.  The point was strictly that I’m excited about the Braves and wish I could be excited about the Hawks.  Full stop.  

And what does @KB21 do?  Starts his rebuttal of the nonexistent straw man he made up with “if you want to draw a direct comparison between the Braves and Hawks”.  Well, I stopped reading right there, because if you aren’t going to bother to read my post, @KB21, I’m sure not going to bother to read yours.

Whatever you need to do to continue to try and convince yourself that tanking is a good way to build a team.

http://m.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/1805/News/dennis-Schröder-von-den-atlanta-hawks-spielt-mit-wechselgedanken-pacers-oder-bucks.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

looks like Dennis is the next that isn’t on board with tanking.  He’s planning on getting the Hawks to trade him, so he will be the next guy that takes Slinky’s pants.  

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, KB21 said:

http://m.spox.com/de/sport/ussport/nba/1805/News/dennis-Schröder-von-den-atlanta-hawks-spielt-mit-wechselgedanken-pacers-oder-bucks.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

looks like Dennis is the next that isn’t on board with tanking.  He’s planning on getting the Hawks to trade him, so he will be the next guy that takes Slinky’s pants.  

Dennis Schröder apparently plays with the idea to change within the NBA team. The German admitted to a press conference of the DBB and spoke at the same time about the current situation in the Hawks.

"I do not know what the organization is planning," said Schröder at the press conference in Braunschweig. "But I also have to think individually and see what works best for me."

Articles and videos on the topic

Embiid wants to play a "MVP-like season"

LeBron James after defeat in Game 1: "Do not worry me at all"

Celtics dominate Game 1 against the Cavs: A team was prepared

Experience the NBA live and on-demand on DAZN. Get your free month now!

Play the NBA Fantasy Manager DUNKEST - Register now and get started!

With the Atlanta, the Point Guard last occupied the last place in the Eastern Conference with a score of 24-58 - in the long run too little for the ambitious national player.

"I'm getting 25 in September and of course I want to win a title sometime, I want to be on top in my prime - 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 - I can not be last in the Eastern Conference, so I'll be in charge with those in charge the Atlanta Hawks speak, "said Schröder.
Schröder: Change no longer excluded

For him personally it was "a good season", but the Brunswick is "worried" about the situation of the team. That's why his agent flies to Atlanta this week to investigate the situation on the ground. Schröder himself follows in the following week.

A possible change is no longer excluded for the German, although he would have to leave "his city" for it: "Of course, Atlanta is my city, I was drafted there, I have many memories there, but as I said I have to look, which is individual for me the best is."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Knowing Slinky, he'll just release him from his contract and pay him for the remaining 3-4 years.

Heh, you're crazier 'n a bag o' cats but I'm with you on this Schlenki cat.  I'm working on a remix of the old Slinky song which I plan to unveil at some point soon.

Who walks the stairs without a care

It shoots so high in the sky.

Bounce up and down just like a clown

Everyone knows it's Schlenki

It's Schlenki, it's Schlenki

Such a wonderful toy ...

It's gonna be amazing.  Grammy-worthy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Are we seriously rehashing the merits of the  'tank' AGAIN, in this thread....sigh.

I'm pretty sure KB thought he saw that horse move a little so the beating resumed.  haha.  

• Like 1