The Tank Thread

Diesel

3 hours ago, deester11 said:

Not one person dictated this team would be good this year, the next whatever.  You sound like a politician with this "I told yall" shtick you play.  Do you post anything positive that you see?  Better yet, did you win the Mega Millions or a cool billion? If so, buy the team and put us all out of our misery.  

Like it or not, we're here.  Fans are wanting to find something to look forward to.  Does it stink? Yeah, but your constant bytching and complaining does what?

Anyway, the tank is fully equipped, gassed up and running accordingly.  The majority of us don't like it but realize we're in it.  

You have still yet to admit that tanking was not the correct strategy to take.  When EVERYONE admits that tanking is bad and is not a good strategy, we can move on.  Until then, I will continue to criticize what the Hawks have done.

3 hours ago, deester11 said:

Not one person dictated this team would be good this year, the next whatever.  You sound like a politician with this "I told yall" shtick you play.  Do you post anything positive that you see?  Better yet, did you win the Mega Millions or a cool billion? If so, buy the team and put us all out of our misery.  

Like it or not, we're here.  Fans are wanting to find something to look forward to.  Does it stink? Yeah, but your constant bytching and complaining does what?

Anyway, the tank is fully equipped, gassed up and running accordingly.  The majority of us don't like it but realize we're in it.  

Also, there is nothing remotely positive to talk about at this point.  

34 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You have still yet to admit that tanking was not the correct strategy to take.  When EVERYONE admits that tanking is bad and is not a good strategy, we can move on.  Until then, I will continue to criticize what the Hawks have done.

Well I'll be the only one standing then.  I don't know that a complete tank job was the right move.  But I do know that the same old strategy of old players and one and done playoff appearances with no chance is what the Hawk's were and would have continued, only with Bud being the coach of said team.

Criticize all you want, but you're no genius to see what we all saw.  Sorry it didn't fit your agenda but the tank is what it is.  So if continually whining moves you to sheer ecstasy, bravo.  I'm a hawk's fan and as bad as it is now, it hasn't changed my passion for them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Well I'll be the only one standing then.  I don't know that a complete tank job was the right move.  But I do know that the same old strategy of old players and one and done playoff appearances with no chance is what the Hawk's were and would have continued, only with Bud being the coach of said team.

Criticize all you want, but you're no genius to see what we all saw.  Sorry it didn't fit your agenda but the tank is what it is.  So if continually whining moves you to sheer ecstasy, bravo.  I'm a hawk's fan and as bad as it is now, it hasn't changed my passion for them.

Yep.  The strategy of actually trying to win games doesn't work.  LOL!

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Yep.  The strategy of actually trying to win games doesn't work.  LOL!

We tried to win until our first round exits...Lmao.  Suck it up buttercup...or leave.  Or better yet, do what you do and cry and whine and act like you're smarter than everyone else.  

17 minutes ago, deester11 said:

We tried to win until our first round exits...Lmao.  Suck it up buttercup...or leave.  Or better yet, do what you do and cry and whine and act like you're smarter than everyone else.  

I'm not going to compromise my values and support intentional losing, particularly when I already know it doesn't work.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:36 AM, Sothron said:

As opposed to what, exactly? Being highly frustrated and disappointed that our team couldn't get past the first or second round?

I would tank for infinity to get a true superstar to then build around. You don't win rings in the NBA without a superstar.

No you wouldn't.  There's no way you would trade your Hawk fandom, to be a Kings fan.  A team whose been bad and tanking for over 13 years, and haven't won more than 33 games in a season during that span.  And hell, they even drafted a guy who would be a sure fire Hall of Famer in Cousins ( the jury is out now, depending on what he does from this point foward ) and still couldn't get to the playoffs. 

A lot of us remember the 2004 bottoming out by the Hawks.  By 2008, Woody had basically reduced his rotation to 7 guys, just to hold onto that #8 spot . . with a 38 win team.

Tanking is all well and good to people who embrace it, until the fan base hits Year 3, and sees that they're going nowhere.  Some of you may be cool with the tank, now.  But let's see what happens in the summer of 2020.  If Trae is only good, but not great.  And the subsequent draft picks in the next 2 years aren't generational talents, let's see what will be the reaction around here will be then.

And let's keep it real about this franchise, particularly ownership. 

Very rarely have they decided to go all out and try to build a winner here.  They've always wanted certain types of players here, without trying to go after big name or star players.   Part of the championship mentality isn't just about acquiring players, it's about ownership doing all they can to build a winner that can challenge for a conference title.   We've cultivated young talent, but held onto them too long in order to flip them for better talents.  Or we've misread how good they can truly become.

• Marvin Williams - traded for Devin Harris
  • Joe Johnson - traded for scraps in a contract dump, and got Korver with a trade exception
  • Josh Smith - contract expired, acquired nothing
  • Al Horford - contract expired, acquired nothing
  • Paul Millsap - contract expired, acquired nothing
  • Dwight Howard - traded for Plumlee

We play the "cap space" game, cry about no one wanting to come here, but are unwilling to trade away our good talent for better talent ( that may not fit somewhere else ).

1 hour ago, deester11 said:

So should Portland tear everything down and tank?

They have a superstar and a future Hall of Famer in Lillard.  But in his 7 seasons, they've never gone past the 2nd round, nor have they won 55 games or more.

So should they tank, trade Lillard for picks, and play the lottery for the next 5 years?

55 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So should Portland tear everything down and tank?

They have a superstar and a future Hall of Famer in Lillard.  But in his 7 seasons, they've never gone past the 2nd round, nor have they won 55 games or more.

So should they tank, trade Lillard for picks, and play the lottery for the next 5 years?

Irony dame won’t eveb be in Portland in the next 5 years you can book it.

and lol @ using the kings as an example to back up your stupid idea of treadmilling, Kings failures is more on front office bullshit than anything. 

1 minute ago, Macknsweetjones said:

and lol @ using the kings as an example to back up your stupid idea of treadmilling, Kings failures is more on front office bullshit than anything. 

You still didn't answer the question.  Should Portland tear it down right now and start to rebuild, by trading off Lillard?   5 consecutive years of making the playoffs, with little or no chance to win a title ( seeing how strong Golden State is ).   So if you're them, do you tear it down now?

And most treadmilling franchises are due to front office failures.

1 hour ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Shhhh...you may just be making sense because the other agenda is to complain about a tear down.  Bud helped create this situation but the Budlovers won't admit it.  Keeping players we had no shot of keeping and getting nothing in return, then expecting that bloated contacts weren't going to bite them in the arse.  Genius.  Fact : the Hawk's are bad.  Fact : it'll be a long season for the complainers and supporters alike.  Fact : it'll be awhile before the hawk's are relevant as winners.  Opinion : making the playoffs as a mediocre team without any chance in h3ll of winning a championship is superficial and benefits purple who say, "but we're winning."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You still didn't answer the question.  Should Portland tear it down right now and start to rebuild, by trading off Lillard?   5 consecutive years of making the playoffs, with little or no chance to win a title ( seeing how strong Golden State is ).   So if you're them, do you tear it down now?

And most treadmilling franchises are due to front office failures.

Like Budcox?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Like Budcox?

Since you want to jump in the convo, same question to you.  What should Portland do?   

Because they're literally in the same situation we were 2 years ago, with the exception that they have a Hall of Fame player on their roster.   Should they tear it down, get draft picks for Lillard, and start tanking for 2 - 5 seasons?

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Since you want to jump in the convo, same question to you.  What should Portland do?   

Because they're literally in the same situation we were 2 years ago, with the exception that they have a Hall of Fame player on their roster.   Should they tear it down, get draft picks for Lillard, and start tanking for 2 - 5 seasons?

To clarify, you asked me that first.  Is their team young enough to add significant pieces that could result in a finals appearance? If there were enough of a vision that I could get a missing piece that'll take me further, I stand pat.  

A treadmill? While I like winning, the Hawk's fortune were never going to result in a championship as is.  If you think so, that's your prerogative, but it never was realistic IMHO.  Also to clarify, I'm not necessarily pro-tank, but I'd rather die trying to get better than fooling myself into thinking our team is championship caliber. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Hey c'mon man, Two years ago the Hawks had a HOF player.........................................................

.....................................................Dwight Howard :derisive:.

Seriously though, 2 years ago the Hawks best player was an over 30 year old Paul Millsap looking for a Monster payday, not even close to what Portland has in Lillard, they are in a tougher West while the Hawks can't get out the 1st round in a weak East. Portland still has a player to build their team around, Hawks had none...so not the same boat as the Hawks at all.

• Like 4