• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, what exactly do you pro tankers want?  Taurean is helping give you what you want.  Noncompetitive losses and high draft picks.  Now, you are complaining when his inconsistency helps cost the team games.  I don't want to hear it!  You are the ones that wanted to run with youth.  Well, when you make the decision to run with youth, you get inconsistent play.  They will flash, but by and large, the play will be inconsistent.

What you are seeing from Taurean is bad habits developing.  Oh, but I was told this wouldn't happen in a tanking situation.  Well, it's happening, and the Hawks may lose a solid young player because of it.  He's been put into a role that he is not capable of filling, and he is now pressing and developing poor habits.  He's not focusing on playing winning basketball.  

But, hey.  We are going to get a top 3 pick!  Yay!!

Wrong thread ✋?

• Like 4

The fact that Dragan Bender's option is not getting picked up on his deal should show you pro tankers the travails of tanking and relying on high picks in the draft.  Bender was the 4th pick, and he may not even be a solid reserve player till he's 25 years old in the league, if he lasts that long. 

Phoenix also took Marquese Chriss in that draft, and he has been traded.  This was after they didn't pick up Alex Len's option on his deal from the 2013 draft either.  None of you pro tankers are willing to admit that you are more likely to miss on the high draft pick than actually get a franchise changing player.

Like it or not, Taurean has never shown to be the guy that he was actually hyped up to be. The dumb Baylor zone scheme kept us from seeing how good he actually was on defense, and after his rookie year it was very TBD still even though it did get better. I have seen enough to say that even if you put him in said role, he would not be a great 3/D glue guy. I think he has more than what we've seen on D, but actual 3/D guys like Carroll at his best and Crowder would smoke his ability on defense.

He's a 15-16 PPG 3rd option or 6th man.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

Like it or not, Taurean has never shown to be the guy that he was actually hyped up to be. The dumb Baylor zone scheme kept us from seeing how good he actually was on defense, and after his rookie year it was very TBD still even though it did get better. I have seen enough to say that even if you put him in said role, he would not be a great 3/D glue guy. I think he has more than what we've seen on D, but actual 3/D guys like Carroll at his best and Crowder would smoke his ability on defense.

He's a 15-16 PPG 3rd option or 6th man.

Bud had him playing very solid defense as a rookie, and if allowed to keep developing him for the role he was intended to play, Taurean would be a more effective player now than he currently is.  However, when you have an idiot owner and a lackey general manager who wants to tank the team out, you ruin the player development aspect of that team.  Now, you are no longer developing Taurean for the role he was intended to play.  You are now allowing him to develop bad habits by trying to play hero ball to accentuate your desire to lose games.  Tanking lost this team Dennis Schröder last year, and the decision to tank may now harm Taurean's development enough that they lose him.  I just hope John Collins and Trae Young can somehow insulate themselves from the owner's and GM's desire to draft high in the draft rather than win games.

That definitely was not how I gauged Taurean in 16/17.

Maybe "the bad" stood out to me more, but I saw too many plays early on and really until the final 15-20 games and playoffs where he was acting like he was playing the Baylor zone scheme on defense and not an NBA defense. He rates better than I thought on stats.nba for that year but there was definitely not enough evidence that he was going to be a great 3/D little things glue guy based off of that sample size. It's not a football season where you can react quickly at how a team or player looks, in longer seasons, you NEED at least 20 games to make a judgment on a team and more than a season on a player.

I have enough evidence to say that he wouldn't be a great 3/D little things glue guy no matter where you put him now (outside of Golden State). He's a 15-16 PPG 3rd option that is a good 3 point shooter and cutter/slasher to the basket that has more on defense, but not so much more that he'd be considered a great 3/D guy. It's a shame he was constantly compared to Carroll, as that's not who he is at all, prime Carroll absolutely SMOKES even the best version of Taurean on defense.

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

Looking at the other threads, it seems like some pro tankers have already gotten antsy about all the losing.  

It isn't about the losing....it is about how we are losing. And watching Prince chuck bad shots and throw the ball out of bounds. Young is playing good ball, but it would be better if his teammates could catch passes and not take ill-advised shots.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mcleitsy said:

It isn't about the losing....it is about how we are losing. And watching Prince chuck bad shots and throw the ball out of bounds. Young is playing good ball, but it would be better if his teammates could catch passes and not take ill-advised shots.

When you are tanking, how you lose doesn't matter as long as you lose.  If you are upset at how the Hawks are losing, then you are upset at tanking.  It's that simple.  There is no gray area.  When you support tanking, you lose the right to get to decide whether you like the way the team loses.  

The results the Hawks have given this season are exactly what everyone of you pro tankers want.  You don't get to complain about anything.  They are doing what you want them to do.  Remember, in your view, the team can just flip a switch and be competitive once they have "enough talent" on the team.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

The results the Hawks have given this season are exactly what everyone of you pro tankers want.  You don't get to complain about anything.  They are doing what you want them to do.  Remember, in your view, the team can just flip a switch and be competitive once they have "enough talent" on the team.

Get a life man, where are you when they win a game???

Be a man and come talk when they win as well.

Just a little girl hiding in a mans body.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, do some of you still not realize why this coach was hired?

I realize that you are nothing more then a opportunistic [friend]. Its funny how the [friendly] just vanish when things do not work their way then magically reappear when the situation is right for them to do so.

DON’T THINK ABOUT RESORTING TO NAME CALLING.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
That definitely was not how I gauged Taurean in 16/17.

Maybe "the bad" stood out to me more, but I saw too many plays early on and really until the final 15-20 games and playoffs where he was acting like he was playing the Baylor zone scheme on defense and not an NBA defense. He rates better than I thought on stats.nba for that year but there was definitely not enough evidence that he was going to be a great 3/D little things glue guy based off of that sample size. It's not a football season where you can react quickly at how a team or player looks, in longer seasons, you NEED at least 20 games to make a judgment on a team and more than a season on a player.

I have enough evidence to say that he wouldn't be a great 3/D little things glue guy no matter where you put him now (outside of Golden State). He's a 15-16 PPG 3rd option that is a good 3 point shooter and cutter/slasher to the basket that has more on defense, but not so much more that he'd be considered a great 3/D guy. It's a shame he was constantly compared to Carroll, as that's not who he is at all, prime Carroll absolutely SMOKES even the best version of Taurean on defense.

Prime Carroll was in his late 20s and played with seasoned veterans on the Hawks one of whom he played together with in Utah (Millsap), I think its too early to say Taurean isn't going to get better. Not to say I'm happy with how he has played the last few games. I think this stretch has exposed how much this team needs to practice together to develop chemistry after 4 games in 6 days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IheartVolt said:

I realize that you are nothing more then a opportunistic [friend].  Its funny how the [friendly] just vanish when things do not work their way then magically reappear when the situation is right for them to do so.

giphy.gif

The worst teams in the NBA according to SRS, from worst to least worst:

1.  Atlanta Hawks -16.22

2.  Phoenix Suns -13.83

3.  Cleveland Cavaliers -11.71

4.  Dallas Mavericks -8.87

5.  Chicago Bulls -8.32

Travis Schlenk is reaching his goal of building the worst team in the NBA.

• Moderators

People - please resist the urge to resort to name calling.  Calling a poster out for disappearing when their predictions crash and burn is fair ground.  Doing it while name calling is going to earn you a timeout.

I just wanted to remind everyone this.  Everything that is bad about the Hawks right now is because of tanking.  

Taurean Prince is bad right now because of tanking.

The Hawks defense is bad right now because of tanking.

The Hawks are turnover prone on offense because of tanking.

The Hawks have significantly downgraded their coaching situation because of tanking. 

The Hawks have been completely noncompetitive this year because of tanking.

The future is dim because of tanking.

On 10/20/2018 at 5:19 AM, deester11 said:

Not one person dictated this team would be good this year, the next whatever.  You sound like a politician with this "I told yall" shtick you play.  Do you post anything positive that you see?  Better yet, did you win the Mega Millions or a cool billion? If so, buy the team and put us all out of our misery.  

Like it or not, we're here.  Fans are wanting to find something to look forward to.  Does it stink? Yeah, but your constant bytching and complaining does what?

Anyway, the tank is fully equipped, gassed up and running accordingly.  The majority of us don't like it but realize we're in it.  

You missed the point on this and that's okay. The point was prior to go this route, there are people that have voiced their opinions that all we had to do was keep the pieces we had and grab one or 2 more pieces, oh and not have an injury, and this team would have been in the Championships.

So, to those people, I say that because you are so quick to slam an attempt at getting a truly competitive team, remember we weren't truly competitive before either. Whether anyone likes it or not, we are in a rebuild, we haven't been a realistic team to win a ring since, well, maybe Nique vs Bird. 

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

I just wanted to remind everyone this.  Everything that is bad about the Hawks right now is because of tanking.  

Taurean Prince is bad right now because of tanking.

The Hawks defense is bad right now because of tanking.

The Hawks are turnover prone on offense because of tanking.

The Hawks have significantly downgraded their coaching situation because of tanking. 

The Hawks have been completely noncompetitive this year because of tanking.

The future is dim because of tanking.

I want to remind everyone this. The Hawks are tanking because they could never be considered a threat for a ring before this. They couldn't get a superstar to put them over being just a middle of the road team  who got swept against a real player.

Taurean Prince is bad because we are trying to rebuild.

The Hawks defense is bad because they are young and the NBA is scoring at a record rate.

They are turnover prone due to being young and rebuilding.

They gave a shot to a young coach during the rebuild.

They are not competitive just like they have been for 20 years because they have no stars and are rebuilding.

The future is no more or less dim than before when we couldn't make it past LBJ and be a real team who had a shot at a ring.

59 minutes ago, noble said:

You missed the point on this and that's okay. The point was prior to go this route, there are people that have voiced their opinions that all we had to do was keep the pieces we had and grab one or 2 more pieces, oh and not have an injury, and this team would have been in the Championships.

So, to those people, I say that because you are so quick to slam an attempt at getting a truly competitive team, remember we weren't truly competitive before either. Whether anyone likes it or not, we are in a rebuild, we haven't been a realistic team to win a ring since, well, maybe Nique vs Bird. 

I think we're saying the same thing.  The usual suspect complains about what is already is in place.  I love this team...i want to win.  It'll be less time than the hater er, haters think.  

• Like 2