The Tank Thread

Diesel

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You just don't want to wake up the spider with an overly rosy outlook!  LOL!

Oh contraire, you must’ve missed my half a dozen or so baiting posts last night trying to lure him back into the fray to face his “misspeaks”, which he claims he doesn’t do. Just yesterday he called my “playoffs in 3rd year of rebuild next season” pie-in-the-sky expectations. So I’ve already poked the spider with that one ?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

8th seed in the East after adding a star player?  The East ain't that tough!  LOL!

And to be clear on my prediction, I’ve always said back to playoffs in year 3 (next season) and back to the ECFs by year 5 of the rebuild. I stand by those.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, hazer said:

Oh contraire, you must’ve missed my half a dozen or so baiting posts last night trying to lure him back into the fray to face his “misspeaks”, which he claims he doesn’t do. Just yesterday he called my “playoffs in 3rd year of rebuild next season” pie-in-the-sky expectations. So I’ve already poked the spider with that one ?

Can you believe that guy going into hiding like this? [Everyone should] join in on the celebration after that kind of win.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Can you believe that guy going into hiding like this?   [Everyone should] join in on the celebration after that kind of win.

Yes, I can believe it. [We don't debate "true fan" credentials on this site.]

• Like 2

I think Pierce is proving he will let the players play. Meaning: if we lose it will not be for lack of effort on the coaching staff or players. We obviously have a lot of growing up to do and young players have to learn how to close out games.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Can you believe that guy going into hiding like this?  He is clearly not a Hawk fan if he can't join in on the celebration after that kind of win.

[Not debating fandom of posters on here.] If you guys would stop feeding him then he'd go away.

• Like 2

• Moderators

For people who did not receive a formal warning, we do not debate the "fandom" of other posters on this site.  This site is here to promote discussion of the Hawks.  That is intended to include posters who have a negative outlook on the team's current path as well as those with a positive outlook.  If you think someone is making posts that violate the terms of this site, please flag and report them to the moderators.  If you feel someone's post isn't well founded, then attack the post -- not the poster.  The last series of posts on this thread is not going to fly to consider this your informal warning if you feel inclined to start baiting or debating the merits of your fellow posters.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here...

We want about 50 or so 1-point losses as best we can work that out, and DAL and CLE to win about 10-15 games more than we do.

This is our likely last go-round in the lottery derby, so let's make the most of it.

• Like 4

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, sturt said:

We want about 50 or so 1-point losses as best we can work that out, and DAL and CLE to win about 10-15 games more than we do.

This is our likely last go-round in the lottery derby, so let's make the most of it.

I won't not enjoy a win over Dallas this early this year but agree with this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sturt said:

Never a fan of losing on purpose. I want to win no matter what. Winning breeds winning. We have so much cap room going forward, it would be just as easy to get another piece through acquisition than the draft. Never root against your Hawks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Never a fan of losing on purpose. I want to win no matter what. Winning breeds winning. We have so much cap room going forward, it would be just as easy to get another piece through acquisition than the draft. Never root against your Hawks.

Yeah. I think we are raw enough we lose plenty this year. Plus, with as many minutes the rooks are getting, I want them out there trying to get W's. There's gonna be plenty of L's this year to out us in the lottery.

• Premium Member

Those words @thecampster are well-taken if I were a player.

I'm not, of course.

And as a fan, I have a natural perspective that players shouldn't have... a bigger picture perspective.

You've heard of "losing the battle but winning the war?"

As a fan, I don't get caught up in losing battles... I want to win the war.

Winning the war won't happen this year by practically anyone's assessment.

So, let's cheer to win the next one after that... and part of that, then, is to maximize the talent we can get on this roster for the next one.

To that end... I'm not content with "another piece." We need "pieces," plural. This is not a finished product of a roster by any stretch. Some of these guys are going to disappoint us during this current war, and we need to replace them with higher grade assets over next off-season.

So, yes, because we're fans and not players, I'm one who hopes we lose enough to maximize what we expect will be our last lottery derby, but lose by such a thin margin that ratcheting up the talent over the Summer of 2019 gets us into a prime position to win that next war.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Those words @thecampster are well-taken if I were a player.

I'm not, of course.

And as a fan, I have a natural perspective that players shouldn't have... a bigger picture perspective.

You've heard of "losing the battle but winning the war?"

As a fan, I don't get caught up in losing battles... I want to win the war.

Winning the war won't happen this year by practically anyone's assessment.

So, let's cheer to win the next one after that... and part of that, then, is to maximize the talent we can get on this roster for the next one.

To that end... I'm not content with "another piece." We need "pieces," plural. This is not a finished product of a roster by any stretch. Some of these guys are going to disappoint us during this current war, and we need to replace them with higher grade assets over next off-season.

So, yes, because we're fans and not players, I'm one who hopes we lose enough to maximize what we expect will be our last lottery derby, but lose by such a thin margin that ratcheting up the talent over the Summer of 2019 gets us into a prime position to win that next war.

If this doesn't bring @KB21 out of hiding, nothing will!  :ninja:

Although

200.gif

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Let’s drop the race stuff and focus on the game here.  Plenty of good stuff to celebrate tonight.

So let's ask the question of all questions. If the Hawks are a little better than we thought, and it looks like they might be. We are 2-2 without JC, not bad. Should they fight like crazy to make the 8th seed, or should we tank for a high draft pick and go all out next year.

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So let's ask the question of all questions. If the Hawks are a little better than we thought, and it looks like they might be. We are 2-2 without JC, not bad. Should they fight like crazy to make the 8th seed, or should we tank for a high draft pick and go all out next year.

Just play to win. I still doubt this team wins more than 25. We have yet to play a legit playoff team.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Keep in mind we beat the Cavs and the Mavs without Barnes. We looked bad in defeat against the Knicks without KP and the Grizz. None of those teams are making the playoffs. I still think we'll be able to play our hardest and not have to worry about messing up our pick too much.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2018 at 1:38 PM, sturt said:

It doesn’t have to be that many for Dallas. Best odds for us getting the 6th pick is actually if Dallas finishes with the 5th worst record. Doesn’t seem far fetched. We just need to be bottom 3. 

I don’t mind getting the Cavs pick next year to balance things out.