The Tank Thread

Diesel

This is another reason tanking is a bad strategy and doesn't work.  The players want to win.  Every game they lace the shoes up is an opportunity for them to go out and win.  When management stacks the deck against them and has the coaching staff coach to intentionally lose games, you will eventually lose the players.  The tank has already cost the team Dennis Schröder and Taurean Prince, who has trended down ever since the tank began.  I just hope the same doesn't happen to John Collins.

Losing hurts the team.  Those of you who support the idiotic strategy of tanking do not believe that.  Collins will be a free agent before this team is in a position to be a winning team again, and do you really think he's going to want to stick around after all the losing he's going to have to endure over the next several years?

I haven't been proven wrong a single time about the tanking strategy.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ya'll a glutten for punishment trying to reason with the Intentionally Obtuse. His statement that he'll just dig his heels in even if wrong says it all.

EGGzackly, Jay-B. I’ve used that exact word at least 5 times, hammer meet nail. There’s a clinical term for someone who’s been specifically shown, with details and quotes, to be wrong yet refuses to admit it then says they’ll dig their heels in deeper because of it. Doctors refer to this term as “delusional” and certifiably “self-unaware”. It would be frowned upon (and possibly punished) if I called it out as trolling and the result of overcompensation, especially if I made a witty comment like “sorry about your (fill in the obvious blank)”. So I won’t go there. Dude is making a mockery of himself, I’d hand him some rope but he apparently has plenty. I don’t like being “that guy”, but this Einstein actually PM’d me asking “are you really this stupid, or just like to oppose everything I say just to argue.” In over 10 years on this board I’ve never received a warning, but probably will with this one. But SOMEBODY has to say it. What the hell is he smoking, and where can I get some? ?

47 minutes ago, AHF said:

Are you trolling here for laughs?  You are smart enough to recognize that everyone is wrong and you have objectively proven to be 100% wrong on multiple occasions on this forum. That hardly makes you unique - we all have been if we offer enough predictions.  The only thing that is unique is being unable to admit it.

Bingo: we’re all right sometimes, wrong sometimes. The rest of us are willing to admit when we are each, and NONE here (except a particular someone) ever condescendingly claim to always be right. It’s universally off-putting. As such, I come to the conclusion that you are correct: he’s simply trolling. If not, as an empath, I genuinely feel sorry for the guy. If it’s the former, he deserves the disdain. If it’s the latter, he deserves our sympathy and maybe we should join together and reach out and help. Vilian, or bless’im? ?

So, if I am wrong, name one team where tanking has worked.

You can't, because I'm not wrong.  Tanking has never worked for any team.  Sure, you can try to say so and so tanked when they really didn't, just like posters like hazer tried to say that Atlanta wasn't tanking or wasn't doing a 76ers style tank.  Tanking is all the same.  This isn't a rebuild.  It's a tank, and because of that, the end result isn't going to be a championship caliber team.

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, if I am wrong, name one team where tanking has worked.

You can't, because I'm not wrong.  Tanking has never worked for any team.  Sure, you can try to say so and so tanked when they really didn't, just like posters like hazer tried to say that Atlanta wasn't tanking or wasn't doing a 76ers style tank.  Tanking is all the same.  This isn't a rebuild.  It's a tank, and because of that, the end result isn't going to be a championship caliber team.

Yo @JayBirdHawk, what was that word? Obstruct? Obstreperous? Obstetrician? Obstinate? 

This.  Tanking is the opposite of this.  Tanking is about taking the easy way out.  It's easy to lose games in the NBA.  It's hard to win them.  When you are tanking, you don't focus on doing the hard things over and over again because your intent is to lose and lose wildly.  You can't build confident players that way.  

The game honors teams that try, not teams that tank.

Straight from Vince Carter:  

Vince Carter, entering his 21st season, said he saw it first-hand as a member of the Kings last season. He signed with the Hawks in the offseason to be a mentor for a young team. Carter is not a proponent of the strategy.

“Doing that develops bad habits,” Carter said. “There becomes a conflict the next year when you are trying to win from the bad habits of trying to lose. You are trying to develop players, but at the same time, when it becomes game time, we need you to go out there and play the right way. The next year fans are wondering why isn’t are team good. It’s because the mentality has changed from the year before when you were trying to lose. …

On 11/20/2018 at 5:31 PM, KB21 said:

This.  Tanking is the opposite of this.  Tanking is about taking the easy way out.  It's easy to lose games in the NBA.  It's hard to win them.  When you are tanking, you don't focus on doing the hard things over and over again because your intent is to lose and lose wildly.  You can't build confident players that way.  

The game honors teams that try, not teams that tank.

9-9. 8th seed

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

They have a chance to make the playoffs. I love what they're doing over there.

I think our situation is different. They have a core of Hield and WCS to go with Fox. For us, I am not sure who are foundational pieces are outside of Young. Hopefully Kevin and Spellman

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

They have a chance to make the playoffs. I love what they're doing over there.

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think our situation is different. They have a core of Hield and WCS to go with Fox. For us, I am not sure who are foundational pieces are outside of Young. Hopefully Kevin and Spellman

Fox - year 2

Heild - year 3

WCS - year 4.

Hawks are just starting.