• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cap situation post trades

thecampster

What follows is our current cap situation. Assumptions are total salary buyout for Carmelo with no stretch, both Cleveland and Morris were waived. 12 roster slots currently in use, 3 open slots. This does not include Adams 2 way contract as it only applies based on games where he's called up (as I understand it).

Committed Salary        
Kent Bazemore $ 18,089,887      
Jeremy Lin $ 12,516,746      
Miles Plumlee $ 12,500,000      
Dewayne Dedmon $ 7,200,000      
Taurean Prince $ 2,526,840      
Justin Anderson $ 2,516,048      
John Collins $ 2,299,080      
DeAndre Bembry

$ 1,634,640

Tyler Dorsey

$ 1,378,242

Trae Young             $ 5,356,320

Kevin Huerter         $ 2,250,960

Omari Spellman     $ 1,620,600

Subtotal:                $68,254,723

Dead money:         $30,232,366

Total Salary:           $98,487,089

Salary Cap:              $101,869,000

Cap Room:               $3,381,911

Exceptions available (count against cap if used or kept unless renounced):

Mid-level exception - $8,641,000

Bi-Annual Exception - $3,382,000

Luke Babbit TPE       - $1,471382

Basically these 3 exceptions can be used to sign players with no risk of violating the LT (we are over $20 million below apron).  So when proposing signings or trades, these are the available numbers.

Alex Len                   $4,146,341

New Total:           $102,633,430

Cap Room:               -$764,430  (we are no officially over the cap barring an adjustment).

Note: No word yet on if an exception was used in the Len signing or where the discrepancy is that allowed the salary over the cap. Will adjust exceptions or salary when its officially released.

• Like 4

Alex Len                   $4,146,341

New Total:           $102,633,430

Cap Room:               -$764,430  (we are no officially over the cap barring an adjustment).

Note: No word yet on if an exception was used in the Len signing or where the discrepancy is that allowed the salary over the cap. Will adjust exceptions or salary when its officially released.

• Like 3

As a shout out to @sturt aka Mr. A. Retentive, I had a random thought this morning.  Figured I'd dump it all over this cap-related thread since that's where all the smart people are.

Could it be possible that we're trying to work out a trade of sMelo to HOU for (the corpse of) Ryan Anderson('s contract) in order to squeeze an asset from HOU and allow them to soften their tax bill once they sign Capela?

(Disclaimer: Even if this is the case, it's all being done with sMelo's understanding and blessing so no matter how you slice it sturt is wrong on that issue. :happy:)

Just wondering if it's cap-possible.  Shiii, lie to me if it isn't.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

As a shout out to @sturt aka Mr. A. Retentive, I had a random thought this morning.  Figured I'd dump it all over this cap-related thread since that's where all the smart people are.

Could it be possible that we're trying to work out a trade of sMelo to HOU for (the corpse of) Ryan Anderson('s contract) in order to squeeze an asset from HOU and allow them to soften their tax bill once they sign Capela?

(Disclaimer: Even if this is the case, it's all being done with sMelo's understanding and blessing so no matter how you slice it sturt is wrong on that issue. :happy:)

Just wondering if it's cap-possible.  Shiii, lie to me if it isn't.

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Eh, in my defense, I stopped paying attention to you once you started using all them ... words.

Honestly though, I do think this delay could be the teams trying to work something out.

However, I repeat, that does NOT mean you were right. :happy:

I'll answer the question in earnest.

First thing first, Houston is in taxpayer territory. So they qualify for the 5.3 million MLE not the 8.4 million.

So signing Melo = $5.3 million cap/LT hit max.

Trading Anderson = 27.9-20.4 million cap hit = 7.5 million cap hit. Trading out of Anderson Hurts the Rockets an extra 2.2 million in LT or about $7 million total. The benefit is they lose Melo's hit the next year as he's on a one year deal and Anderson is on a 2 year deal.  So next year they'd save over $20 million in capspace.  

In the near term is shaves 7.5 off atlanta's cap this year and therefore puts them 6.8 million under the cap with Anderson on the roster and 1 empty roster slot. So this year (if we were trying to win) it could be a very good deal.  The problem is Anderson is signed through next year at an additional 21.2 million cap hit next year. This would be disastrous for what we've set ourselves up for next year and if we wish to compete at all next year, we'd need to do a similar deal to move his salary.

Considering Houston is going to be good for at least a few years and any 1st we'd get from them would be in the 20's, I can't see any incentive for us doing this. We've created a situation where we have approximately $54 million in free space next year, to waste 21 million on it for Ryan Anderson seems pointless.

• Like 4

Also remember that whatever Melo signs for, that amount offsets Atlanta's cap hit for waiving Melo.  So if Melo signs for the minimum ($2,393,887), that reduces our cap number that much.  This is probably why Len is not officially signed yet, because Melo has to sign with Houston to create the space.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

FYI over the cap with $30 million in dead salary. We've effectively playing with 70% of salary this year.

We're*

Well there is one thing that comes out of this to me.  Ressler must trust Schlenk by agreeing to pay of Approximately 28 million (I know he would be paying dennis salary if not trading him and the number is more like 7 million)) to buy him out. .   The manusha is in the numbers I know.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Well there is one thing that comes out of this to me.  Ressler must trust Schlenk by agreeing to pay of Approximately 28 million (I know he would be paying dennis salary if not trading him and the number is more like 7 million)) to buy him out. .   The manusha is in the numbers I know.  

You can make a pitch about long-term savings but since we are once again over the cap in our spending, I agree with you.  Ressler hasn't shown a hesitation about letting Schlenk spend dead money with an eye towards the long-term.

• Premium Member
Stahhp.

#ContextMatters

If they were under the cap he would say Ressler was being cheap. ?‍♂️ can’t win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

12 hours ago, turnermx said:

If they were under the cap he would say Ressler was being cheap. ?‍♂️ can’t win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eggsactly.  Folks need to buckle in for a multi-year rebuild here.  No need to get too focused on the minutiae of the comings/goings at this point.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Friend of the Program hawksfanatic puts in his two cents (not affecting the cap, lol) now that the Melo-drama shifts to Clutch City.

~lw3

Bob gets in ? with Brad. Must require a lotta :rumple:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Eh, in my defense, I stopped paying attention to you once you started using all them ... words.

Honestly though, I do think this delay could be the teams trying to work something out.

However, I repeat, that does NOT mean you were right. :happy:

I do like words, no doubt about it... hehe.

And I suppose this can be taken as a bit abrasive by some... not you, I'm sure :)... but my thing has always been, if word count is a consideration, then maybe it's all for the better for both parties that my posts not get read after all. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :D

And... right?... I was right. I absolutely was right. But "right" about what I over and over and over again claimed to be right about, which is a narrow thing in comparison to the strawmen (plural) laid out that stretched beyond what I actually said.

People do assume to have insight they don't actually have, and it's especially noticeable when we start talking sports or politics.