We signed RJ Hunter

West

Kinda funny, I wanted us to pick him before we traded the pick for THJ

https://www.nba.com/hawks/atlanta-hawks-sign-rj-hunter

Atlanta Hawks Sign R.J. Hunter

rj_hunter_release.jpg?itok=dtAlu4-t
Atlanta Hawks
Posted: Sep 07, 2018

ATLANTA, GA -- The Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club has signed guard R.J. Hunter, it was announced today.

Hunter has played in 44 career regular season games (one start) in three seasons with Boston, Chicago and Houston, averaging 2.6 points and 1.0 rebounds in 8.4 minutes.

Last season, he appeared in five contests on a two-way contract for the Rockets, starting one, averaging 3.8 points and 1.0 rebounds in 9.0 minutes. In 45 games (28 starts) with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the NBA G League, he put up 20.4 points, 3.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.4 steals in 30.8 minutes (.443 FG%, .377 3FG%, .803 FT%).

Hunter was originally selected in the first round (28th overall) of the 2015 NBA Draft by the Celtics as an early-entry candidate. He was a two-time Sun Belt Player of the Year at Georgia State, where he played under his father, head coach Ron Hunter. He is the Panthers’ all-time scoring leader (1,819) in three seasons.

Hunter is a native of Indianapolis, IN (Pike High School).

• Like 1

We out here making moves! That man Schlenk can put a team together! Man are we going to be great !

love it! Love it! Love it!

that damn genius schlenk! Who’s better eh?...no one that’s who and you know what else ?

.....IM DONE BULLSHITTING LOL

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is worse than Cole Aldridge.  So are any of our 2nd round picks from past seasons gonna be in camp?

My bad.  We have Tyler Dorsey.

Alpha Kapa is back overseas, we traded Cordinier,  they other two have lucrative contracts with their Euro teams so coming on a camp deal makes little sense.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Alpha Kapa is back overseas, we traded Cordinier,  they other two have lucrative contracts with their Euro teams so coming on a camp deal makes little sense.

So the other question is . . . why do we keep drafting Euros who either aren't good enough to play in the league, or don't want to play in the league?

Most 2nd round picks under the 40th pick don't make it anyway, but a few do fall through the cracks and become decent rotation players.  It's just disappointing that the Hawks keep striking out in getting very cheap depth pieces.

It's kinda crazy when you look at it, but our most successful 2nd round draft pick in the last 35 years ( when the Hawks took Doc Rivers in 1983 ), may have been Mike Scott.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/draft.html

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jeffery123 said:

YES!! I always wanted to bring RJ home.  Let's find a way to put him on the permanent team.

He has to EARN his way to a two way GL contract first before even sniffing the permanent team.

Early reports said he was signing an Exhibit 10 Deal (I had to look this one up)....

This is what I found regarding the 10 day Exhibit deal....

A player who is signed to a contract with an Exhibit 10 will receive a bonus up to $50,000 if he signs a contract with the team's G League affiliate upon being waived from the parent club.

However, there is a catch. A player waived by Oct. 17 must report to his G League affiliate by Oct. 20 and remain there for at least 60 days to receive the bonus (in addition to the G League salary). Unlike last season, when a team would incur a salary-cap hit for players with partially guaranteed money who were eventually waived at the end of training camp, an NBA team will not have a cap charge for the bonus money awarded.

A player signed with an Exhibit 10 can also be converted to a two-way contract by the first day of the regular season. The bonus would then be rescinded and the two-way contract would apply.

I think he'll end up signing with the GL team after camp.

• Like 1

Schlenk really is just out here doing anything seem like ....time will tell if he’s actually good at evaluating talent or not. 

Ive liked his draft picks so far for the most part but his free agency signings are questionable.

21 hours ago, JTB said:

Schlenk really is just out here doing anything seem like ....time will tell if he’s actually good at evaluating talent or not. 

Ive liked his draft picks so far for the most part but his free agency signings are questionable.

It's just a camp invitee, I don't know why y'all making a big deal out of it.  Heck is Dorsey really better than R.J.?  from the highlights I have seen if given consistent minutes he can shoot the ball, and he also puts in effort on defense, but he will never be a good or great defender.

• Premium Member
On 9/8/2018 at 0:51 PM, JTB said:

Alex Len (I'm intrigued) and Vince Carter (Love it for what he'll bring as a veteran on and off the floor) are the notable free agent signings. 

The rest - T.C.B.s. and unlikely to make the final roster.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Seems like people who want us to tank get mad when we pick up players who aren't very good.

Hawks are tanking on purpose they are tanking cause they have to by default....in other words no good talent wanted to come this team the way it’s currently constructed.

so you’re right none of these signings matter 

Just now, JTB said:

Hawks are tanking on purpose they aren’t  tanking cause they have to by default....in other words no good talent wanted to come this team the way it’s currently constructed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

In 2015, Hunter made the most famous bucket in Georgia State history – admittedly a short list – when his 35-footer with four seconds left completed an upset of No. 3-seed Baylor in the NCAA Tournament. It literally knocked his father, Ron, the Panthers coach who was recovering from Achilles surgery, to the floor and provided the keepsake scene of the first round.

On the other side of that game, leading Baylor with 18 points and 15 rebounds, was Taurean Prince. Today he is the forward who led the Hawks in minutes played last season. And Hunter is a training-camp extra whose next stop likely is the developmental G League.

Interesting nugget.

“I came in as a rookie, and I thought it was all owed to me. I got humbled really quickly,” he said.

“When I came in (the NBA) I absolutely took it for granted. I’m not saying I was cocky or arrogant, but I thought I deserved it.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, JTB said:

Hawks are tanking on purpose they are tanking cause they have to by default....in other words no good talent wanted to come this team the way it’s currently constructed.

Correction.  The Hawks are taking because the WANT to, not HAVE to.  They have the foolish belief that they will get a unicorn at the top of the draft.

26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Correction.  The Hawks are taking because the WANT to, not HAVE to.  They have the foolish belief that they will get a unicorn at the top of the draft.

Correction they HAVE to....schlenk has no pull in free agency to even grab average guys and he has very little to offer in trade to get back any quality.

schlenk tanked on purpose last season yes but this season is different, the damage of wanting to be bad ONLY needed a year (which is last season) to put this franchise in possible shambles for next several years. players already didn’t want to come here so you don’t need to tank again it’s an automatic thing that’s going to happen .

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Correction they HAVE to....schlenk has no pull in free agency to even grab average guys and he has very little to offer in trade to get back any quality.

schlenk tanked on purpose last season yes but this season is different, the damage of wanting to be bad ONLY needed a year (which is last season) to put this franchise in possible shambles for next several years. players already didn’t want to come here so you don’t need to tank again it’s an automatic thing that’s going to happen .

That's what tanking does though.  It puts your franchise into shambles for several years.  I knew when Slinky decided to tank that this team would be in shambles for several years.  It's simply the result of taking on such a disgusting, abomination of a strategy.