• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luka will start PF ....here’s why it’s hawks related

JTB

Dallas apparently will likely be starting Luka at PF with Dirk coming off the bench...that’s news to me (not that dirk is coming off the bench lol) but that Dallas views Luka as PF and it had me thinking , since forever Luka and Trae will be connected throughout their careers I’m wondering if Schlenk also saw Luka as a PF and being that we have Collins perhaps this also helped schlenk and the rest of the front office be more all in on Trae Young as they scouted both players leading up to this years draft.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251190/Mavericks-Likely-To-Start-Luka-Doncic-At-Power-Forward-Dirk-Nowitzki-Off-Bench

personally this probably doesn’t matter much as I believe we are geared more towards a positionless league to a certain extent but even then I don’t see Luka as a PF nor did I ever think one time of a Luka and Collins pairing for our future pf and center combo....shout out to those who said you see Luka as pf, I know someone on this board mentioned that.

with all this said I was already overly happy that we drafted Trae over Luka but I’m even more happy about that decision now if the league is seeing Luka as a power forward. To me Luka was already going to get beat up on defense but if he’s guarding PFs I believe it’s going to be an even bigger problem for him .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

I said since well before the draft there is no way he'll play PG in the nba but would be playing SG/SF and I'm assuming SF is where he ends up.

I saw him as a tweener forward from the get, start off at SF to save some wear and tear but be flexed out to PF so he can get his offense off away from more athletic wings.  I still like him more than Trae in a vacuum simply because his size offers more positional versatility even if he's not particularly dominant at any one of them.

It's not really a big deal for Dallas though, I suppose the biggest takeaway is that Dirk isn't starting which given his advanced age and the addition of DeAndre Jordan isn't a surprise, but Barnes and Doncic are basically interchangeable at the 3/4 and Barnes was already the starting PF.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I saw him as a tweener forward from the get, start off at SF to save some wear and tear but be flexed out to PF so he can get his offense off away from more athletic wings.  I still like him more than Trae in a vacuum simply because his size offers more positional versatility even if he's not particularly dominant at any one of them.

It's not really a big deal for Dallas though, I suppose the biggest takeaway is that Dirk isn't starting which given his advanced age and the addition of DeAndre Jordan isn't a surprise, but Barnes and Doncic are basically interchangeable at the 3/4 and Barnes was already the starting PF.

Agree with this for the most part. The player I wanted all year was Luka but I think we will end up being very happy with the trade and so will Dallas most likely. Luka and Barnes are interchangeable and I know we are headed for positionless ball but I still don’t see Luka or Barnes at PF. Guys like Ant Davis, Sap, Griffin and Lamarcus would eat those guys up in the post...that being said I assume they’d have a mismatch speed wise on the other end.

I dunno I’m elated with Trae and think he will bring energy we’ve NEVER seen..(ok Nique..ended 94) before in Atlanta. 

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Agree with this for the most part. The player I wanted all year was Luka but I think we will end up being very happy with the trade and so will Dallas most likely. Luka and Barnes are interchangeable and I know we are headed for positionless ball but I still don’t see Luka or Barnes at PF. Guys like Ant Davis, Sap, Griffin and Lamarcus would eat those guys up in the post...that being said I assume they’d have a mismatch speed wise on the other end.

I dunno I’m elated with Trae and think he will bring energy we’ve NEVER seen..(ok Nique..ended 94) before in Atlanta. 

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

That's the thing, most of those guys are actually Centers now and Dallas is protected by having a rim protector/rebounder in DJ backing up their small 4s.  It was a disaster last year for them relying on Dirk or the likes of Noel and Powell at C but in today's game you actually put your own team at a disadvantage if you attempt to force the ball into a post player on a mismatch unless you've got adequate spacing around them.  It's a big reason why a guy like Griffin became more perimeter oriented, parking his ass in the paint with DJ and now Drummond just leads to strip city or contorted layups over 3 sets of outstretched arms. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

That's the thing, most of those guys are actually Centers now and Dallas is protected by having a rim protector/rebounder in DJ backing up their small 4s.  It was a disaster last year for them relying on Dirk or the likes of Noel and Powell at C but in today's game you actually put your own team at a disadvantage if you attempt to force the ball into a post player on a mismatch unless you've got adequate spacing around them.  It's a big reason why a guy like Griffin became more perimeter oriented, parking his ass in the paint with DJ and now Drummond just leads to strip city or contorted layups over 3 sets of outstretched arms. 

That does make sense. I guess I’m having a little problem with the progression of this movement in the NBA. Obviously it’s been going around for a while but it’s starting to change the game full force which saddens ? me a bit. Yes there’s more spacing and flow to the game but growing up in the 80’s and 90’s we had the lumbering centers like the Ewing type followed by their muscle men body guard PF’s like Oak, Willis, Carr and those types. Now it’s like dudes that are lightweights and quick. It’s still a little weird for me. So Mavs run this lineup out there:

Dennis Smith Jr.

Wes Mathews

Harrison Barnes

Luka Doncic

Deandre Jordan

?

If I’m them I go:

JJ Barea

DSJ

Harrison Barnes

Luka Doncic

Deandre Jordan

Although I would feel more comfortable having Barea and Dirk off the bench vs Mathews and Dirk.

ps Agreed on the Griffin ordeal.

• Like 1

When they meet the Hawks:

If he is @ PF, Then he will face John Collins.

If he is a SF, Then he will face Kent Bazemore.

Also, he will have to defend whoever he is playing against.  Since many has him as an all star already, what will he do to our poor Birds?  Life may not be as easy for him when it comes to actually facing the competition.

What do you think?  Will he find life easy against Atlanta?

:laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Will he find life easy against Atlanta?

Hoping not but I’m sure he will ⭕️ the two games against us on the calendar every year. He wants to stick it to us for trading him away.

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If at SF, he'll be matched up with Taurean Prince.

:biggrin: indeed. That should be fun. 

9 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I would love to know what really went down during the trade. Supposedly it was going to either Luka, Trae or JJJ (Ayton and Bagley off the board). Word is Ressler did not want JJJ, but was Schlenk's preference. I just wonder how the debate in the war room went. 

Well how did Schlenk covet JJJ whet he stated after the draft he wanted a playmaker? Which would be Trae & Luka.