• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

FiveThirtyEight | Hawks 2018-19 will win 28, not finish last in East, and actually have 6% shot at playoffs (!)

sturt

Be not deceived, KB21 is no dummy.  He really believes what he believes.  He hates the very thought of a team being in the tank mode.  So do I.  We went through that last season and came out, in my opinion, with three very good draft picks.

Some people, including KB21, believe that our Hawks will tank, over and over.  They believe that there is no end to this tanking.  As bad as I hate the thought of ever tanking again, I sincerely hope that we don't.  The Hawks have some very young, inexperienced players and some very old guys on their roster.

Sure, our GM has said that we may have three lottery picks next summer.  We know that there will be about $40 million available under the cap.  If we win all we can, which is what I personally want to happen, it's possible that, with our draft picks and some extra $$$ available, we just might attract someone pretty good to come here.  Wouldn't that be nice!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:biggrin:

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Words, words, words ..... blah, blah, blah ..

What is a mystery, still, is whether KB21 truly doesn't understand (I really doubt that), or if he's just having fun, enjoying watching normal everyday Hawks fans word-wrestle with him.

This.  It's something I hope more of us recognize.

Something else I hope folks start to recognize is that us having lottery picks doesn't necessarily mean we'll use those picks.  Lotto picks are NBA currency, especially for a team like us who aren't likely to attract high level free agents.  Acquiring them via trade is far more doable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

I have no respect for anyone who supports tanking.  Bottom line.

Yeah. We heard. All nine million posts about it spanning months and months. We get it. We all know your opinion. No need for any more refreshers. It's been old for awhile, hence so many people referring to you in some regard as continually beating a dead horse. Most people would take that as a clue to stop saying the same old thing over and over again. I hate the idea of having to block people,but it gets to a point where it's like what Steve Holman said, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" Not sure if you are [:no: ~lw3]ing or what, but enough is enough already. It really drags the site down. You seem mostly like a bright guy, so I don't know what your deal is, but stop already. Every thread does not need a tanking discussion. It has its own thread just for you. Have at it, just in that thread. Not every single one.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

Yeah. We heard. All nine million posts about it spanning months and months. We get it. We all know your opinion. No need for any more refreshers. It's been old for awhile, hence so many people referring to you in some regard as continually beating a dead horse. Most people would take that as a clue to stop saying the same old thing over and over again. I hate the idea of having to block people,but it gets to a point where it's like what Steve Holman said, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!" Not sure if you are [:no: ~lw3]ing or what, but enough is enough already. It really drags the site down. You seem mostly like a bright guy, so I don't know what your deal is, but stop already. Every thread does not need a tanking discussion. It has its own thread just for you. Have at it, just in that thread. Not every single one.

So, you feel the misery that I feel when I watch what Travis Schlenk wants to call a basketball team go out there and have absolutely no chance of winning?

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Example of fact: Mike Krzyzewski first became a head coach for a 3-win Army program in 1975.

Example of an opinion: Krzyzewski is not a credible coach because he took a job for a program with little expectation that his team would have to compete for a conference title.

Example of another opinion: Lloyd Pierce is not a credible coach because he took a job for a program with little expectation that his team would have to compete for a conference title.

Example of another fact: GM Travis Schlenk, at the opening news presser for training camp last month indicated that the Atlanta Hawks' first priority in 2018-19 is player development.

Example of a reasoned, widely-held opinion, but not a "fact" as defined by any dictionary: Based on Schlenk's comments, the Hawks can be considered to be "tanking" again for the 2018-19 season.

Example of just an opinion: The Hawks will not be making the playoffs their first priority next season.

Example of just another opinion: The Hawks will not be capable of making the playoffs for the next several years.

It's no mystery why it's so important to KB21 to attempt to confound the difference between the two terms, fact and opinion.

Similarly, it's no mystery why, when pinned down with questions that are difficult for him to answer with any integrity, KB21 starts the rhetorical whack-a-mole thing, and deflects to try to circle back to other assertions, hoping no one will notice.

Fat chance.

What is a mystery, still, is whether KB21 truly doesn't understand (I really doubt that), or if he's just having fun, enjoying watching normal everyday Hawks fans word-wrestle with him.

We notice. All credibility lost.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

Ah, turns out that using that block feature is really satisfying. Dark cloud has blown away. Hawksquawk seems better already!

I put him on ignore after the first couple months of last season when I realized he was just a broken record out to antagonize people instead of contributing. Board has been a lot better since then.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I put him on ignore after the first couple months of last season when I realized he was just a broken record out to antagonize people instead of contributing. Board has been a lot better since then.

I'm pretty chill but I don't know how he hasn't been banned or at least suspended yet. It's like Hawksquawk has been flooded with a sea of annoying since he got on his antitanking bonanza a year or so ago or whatever. I just saw where he was specifically warned in another thread to drop it and he's still been at it. Anyway, I don't personally have to worry about it anymore. F(orget) that guy. Back on track....

I think the Hawks could surprise some people as far as their record and how they play against good teams, especially later in the season. Not like I expect them to take the east or anything, but the east is really weak and the Hawks have some scrappy hungry guys. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, LamarHampton said:

I'm pretty chill but I don't know how he hasn't been banned or at least suspended yet. It's like Hawksquawk has been flooded with a sea of annoying since he got on his antitanking bonanza a year or so ago or whatever. I just saw where he was specifically warned in another thread to drop it and he's still been at it. Anyway, I don't personally have to worry about it anymore. F(orget) that guy. Back on track....

I think the Hawks could surprise some people as far as their record and how they play against good teams, especially later in the season. Not like I expect them to take the east or anything, but the east is really weak and the Hawks have some scrappy hungry guys. 

I have asked more than once for him to be suspended or banned. He is clearly trolling people. I have never seen another poster on this board get a blank check for so long. We are going to have another season where he gets a free pass to turn every thread into his agenda.

Whee.

39 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I have asked more than once for him to be suspended or banned. He is clearly trolling people. I have never seen another poster on this board get a blank check for so long. We are going to have another season where he gets a free pass to turn every thread into his agenda.

Whee.

me

Haha, kidding.

• Like 2

Do ya'll really want the mods to start banning people, for simply stating their opinion?   

I think the mods do a good job in letting the board flow freely, as long as people are staying on topic, talking basketball, and most important, not attacking others.   Attacking others personally seems to be what draws a warning and/or a ban.  Anything basketball related, no matter how unpopular the opinion is, seems to be in bounds.

Now, if you guys don't like what certain people are saying, the mods have always encouraged you to use your ignore feature.  Even when "the artist formerly known as Hotlanta" was the main "Debbie Downer" on the board, it's not like he was completely wrong in all of his opinions.   The same goes for KB, or anybody else on this site.   We all believe and cite a certain amount of truth about this team and how management runs it.   

Not everyone agrees with each other on this site.  In my eyes, that's perfectly OK.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Do ya'll really want the mods to start banning people, for simply stating their opinion?   

I think the mods do a good job in letting the board flow freely, as long as people are staying on topic, talking basketball, and most important, not attacking others.   Attacking others personally seems to be what draws a warning and/or a ban.  Anything basketball related, no matter how unpopular the opinion is, seems to be in bounds.

Now, if you guys don't like what certain people are saying, the mods have always encouraged you to use your ignore feature.  Even when "the artist formerly known as Hotlanta" was the main "Debbie Downer" on the board, it's not like he was completely wrong in all of his opinions.   The same goes for KB, or anybody else on this site.   We all believe and cite a certain amount of truth about this team and how management runs it.   

Not everyone agrees with each other on this site.  In my eyes, that's perfectly OK.  

Dissenting opinions are welcome.

Spamming every topic with the same tired issue(s) is a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If 95% of what someone posts for I don't know, a year?, amounts to various forms of saying "I'm mad, Hawks suck and will suck indefinitely" at some point I think even you would agree that enough is enough. Especially when there is specifically a "Hawks suck and you are mad about it" thread where those posts should go, but instead of confining said posts to the "I'm mad" thread they infect every other thread as well. Standards of decency have been violated. Excessively.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What is the sound of One Man Clapping, grasshopper?

Not half as aurally pleasing as the sound of One Poster Ignored. If you so choose, the season is about to start in mere hours. Feel free to give it a try. Then you can talk Hawks, and not Squawks.

~lw3

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

If 95% of what someone posts for I don't know, a year?, amounts to various forms of saying "I'm mad, Hawks suck and will suck indefinitely" at some point I think even you would agree that enough is enough. Especially when there is specifically a "Hawks suck and you are mad about it" thread where those posts should go, but instead of confining said posts to the "I'm mad" thread they infect every other thread as well. Standards of decency have been violated. Excessively.

LOL.  We've had numerous "dead horses" beaten on the Squawk for over a decade.   Right now, KB is beating the "hawks Suck" dead horse.  But we've had many horses "die" on here

• Marvin got beaten
  • Woody got beaten
  • Gearon Jr got beaten
  • Smoove got beaten at the end

There have been other "beatings" too.

What can stop the "beatings"?   How about some Hawk victories?

Until then, KB will continue swinging his Kendo stick like Tojo Yamamoto, and beat that "Hawks suck" dead horse.

Classic Memphis wrestling right here.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Dissenting opinions are welcome.

Spamming every topic with the same tired issue(s) is a problem.

It's only a problem if people bother to respond as-if the dissenting opinion is... credible... there's that word again.

I am one of those who believe censorship should almost never happen unless/until a poster crosses a line of basic moral/ethical/civil conduct.

Instead, it is good that non-credible opinions are either ignored as a testimony to their lack of credibility, or that they are demonstrated to be lacking in credibility.

To my mind, then, KB would have to actually come out and admit that he's just doing what he's doing for his own amusement... at that point, he's overtly and indisputably crossing an ethical line, because I perceive that as just open disrespect and lack of good faith on his part.

For now, though, the possibility remains that it's not that, but rather, he is indeed an actual moron, incapable of discerning fact from opinion, incapable of discerning objectivity from subjectivity.

59 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL.  We've had numerous "dead horses" beaten on the Squawk for over a decade.   Right now, KB is beating the "hawks Suck" dead horse.  But we've had many horses "die" on here

• Marvin got beaten
  • Woody got beaten
  • Gearon Jr got beaten
  • Smoove got beaten at the end

There have been other "beatings" too.

What can stop the "beatings"?   How about some Hawk victories?

Until then, KB will continue swinging his Kendo stick like Tojo Yamamoto, and beat that "Hawks suck" dead horse.

Classic Memphis wrestling right here.

A Tojo Yamamoto reference!  I like it!

1 hour ago, lethalweapon3 said:

What is the sound of One Man Clapping, grasshopper?

Not half as aurally pleasing as the sound of One Poster Ignored. If you so choose, the season is about to start in mere hours. Feel free to give it a try. Then you can talk Hawks, and not Squawks.

~lw3

I think (you're! ~lw3) upset because you know that a mod shouldn’t reopen a thread just to spout out their (brilliant! ~lw3) opinion where everyone can see it but the rest of the people can’t. That’s some (Don Cornelius! ~lw3) privilege right there. (Sooooooooooooul! ~lw3)