• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dinner for Schmucks

HawkItus

This sounds plausible. If this draft class continues to produce, it should boost everyone's confidence in Schlenk. Hopefully by next offseason Ressler will be hands-off and will allow management to make decisions. At this point I'm not worried about the draft but more about how we're going to compete in free agency. That's what would put this rebuild over the edge.

If we can sign a guy or two like Boston was able to, we'll be contenders. What we really need is an all-star caliber center or SG, which might be the hardest positions to fill. SG we can most likely draft, but center would definitely have to be filled via trade or free agency.

• Premium Member

Unless you have a truly amazing center like KAT or Jokic I think guys like Alex Len and Dedmon that play defense, board and are there for screens and roll to the basket are fine. We need a lock down perimeter defender IMO that can just slow down the opponent.

Just now, Sothron said:

Unless you have a truly amazing center like KAT or Jokic I think guys like Alex Len and Dedmon that play defense, board and are there for screens and roll to the basket are fine. We need a lock down perimeter defender IMO that can just slow down the opponent.

I think priorities change depending on how the rooks shake out. Spellman could be good, Kev could be good, Young will likely be good, and we all know Collins is good. I think Prince is high usage, and would be a great 6th man. I don't see him being part of the starters after the next season or two. 

• Like 1

That's true, and I like Len and Dedmon for what they provide. But with the foundation of our team still being on rookie contracts, we need to spend some money soon before our players hit free agency. SG and Center imo would be our best options. If DeMarcus Cousins bounces back I think we should go for him. We'll have money but limited options to spend it.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hazer said:

I've said it several times. My one Hawks source has said the Travis wanted Young and if we had the #1 pick he would have tried to move down a couple spots to still take him or if no trade just take him #1.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, hazer said:

That's not true.   He says if the rumor is that he wanted Trae for marketing reasons then that's a lie.  That's different than saying he didn't want him. 

• Like 3

Glad it all worked out for the best. We are younger, better (talent wise) and actually have a coach that can and will grow with our players. I'm glad we didn't keep Al actually that and rebounding was one of the best assets brought by Dwight. Korver and Millsap were getting old. Teague wasn't selfish/aggressive enough at times and Dennis was too aggressive and selfish at times. With our new team I'm seeing less and less of these bad/flawed qualities in our players. They are talented, unselfish and no push  overs from top to bottom. Sometimes you gotta do wrong to get right. Those early mistakes can now and later in the future be seen as blessings in disguise.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

That's not true.   He says if the rumor is that he wanted Trae for marketing reasons then that's a lie.  That's different than saying he didn't want him. 

That's what I got from that - the marketing aspect of taking Trae over Luka.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
41 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:
Point guard is the hardest position to fill whereas competent centers are more plentiful.

No it's not. PG is the deepest position in the NBA. We just gave away a flawed but competent one.

Great ones aren't plentiful 

40 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Sounds like you said we need a Justin Anderson, Bembry, Prince, Baze, Huerter type of player. Maybe I heard that wrong though. I do agree Dedmon and Len are pluses as well as Collins and Spellman.

Great ones aren't plentiful 

Great players in any position aren't plentiful. Schröder was flawed, but he played at a high level in his biggest games. I wouldn't be mad at a Dedmon/Len platoon for the next couple years, but we bring in someone via trade or free agency. That's been the difference between Boston and the Sixers even though the Sixers drafted bigger stars. Philly hasn't signed anyone major and Boston got Horford and Hayward along with Kyrie.

28 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I wasn’t implying “he didn’t want him” and Schlenk did, that’s not the point I was making.