• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dinner for Schmucks

HawkItus

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You don't need a great center to win championships.  Point guard is another matter.

I think this is a reflection of how much the game has changed. A great PG at the top of the key puts all the pressure on a teams defense. It use to be a great big man in the post did this.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sillent said:

Sounds like you said we need a Justin Anderson, Bembry, Prince, Baze, Huerter type of player. Maybe I heard that wrong though. I do agree Dedmon and Len are pluses as well as Collins and Spellman.

You guys may be talking past eachother.  He said we need a lockdown perimeter wing defender.  You just said it sounds like we have 5 wings.  Unless you think they are all lockdown perimeter defenders, you two are not saying the same thing.  If you are saying that, I think Sothron will disagree that any of them are great wing defenders today and that this is a need for us.

Whether PGs or Cs are easier to find in today's NBA, my believe is that the position in highest demand is plus two-way wings.  Nobody can get enough good wings who can score and defend and those guys tend to get paid even when they are only tolerable at one of those as long as they are good at the other.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

You guys may be talking past eachother.  He said we need a lockdown perimeter wing defender.  You just said it sounds like we have 5 wings.  Unless you think they are all lockdown perimeter defenders, you two are not saying the same thing.  If you are saying that, I think Sothron will disagree that any of them are great wing defenders today and that this is a need for us.

Whether PGs or Cs are easier to find in today's NBA, my believe is that the position in highest demand is plus two-way wings.  Nobody can get enough good wings who can score and defend and those guys tend to get paid even when they are only tolerable at one of those as long as they are good at the other.

I am saying that atleast 3/4 of them if not 4/5 will be great wing defenders. May some better than others varying from game to game or time in the league but Bembry and Prince should be no secret and neither should Justin Anderson and Baze. I guess alot of us were fooled by Taurean Prince's defense last year but last year it wasn't part of the agenda for Prince. The way I saw Prince guard LeBron his rookie year and Bembry guard Harden leaves me with no doubt having a defensive minded coach like Pierce that they would get back to form and even surpass it as time goes on. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hazer said:

I wasn’t implying “he didn’t want him” and Schlenk did, that’s not the point I was making.

Yes.  I guess i should say.  He did not flat out deny Trae was his call.  He only denied that it wasn't for "marketing purposes".

Interesting read and even thought I was a huge Bud fan this article makes me do a double take on him.  Sounds like he was trying to force a situation he wanted on the Hawks, to the detriment of the young guys.

I definitely feel better about the move to get rid of him after reading this but his hand was kind of forced at that point anyways due to the earlier mistakes.

On Bud:  If as Ressler says he was Superstar hunting, then his moves in the previous offseasons were just bad.  You don't not trade Horf and Sap if you want money and room to hunt one.

On Ressler:   I think that rumor about a coach getting cursed out by an owner for  winning is Bud and Ressler from this article.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Interesting read and even thought I was a huge Bud fan this article makes me do a double take on him.  Sounds like he was trying to force a situation he wanted on the Hawks, to the detriment of the young guys.

I definitely feel better about the move to get rid of him after reading this but his hand was kind of forced at that point anyways due to the earlier mistakes.

I was a Bud fan as well. Now I am not.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

On Bud:  If as Ressler says he was Superstar hunting, then his moves in the previous offseasons were just bad.  You don't not trade Horf and Sap if you want money and room to hunt one.

On Ressler:   I think that rumor about a coach getting cursed out by an owner for  winning is Bud and Ressler from this article.

No doubt. And no big name would willingly come to ATL with that roster. And considering all that didn't happen when Budcox was GMing which inevitably caused the tank....I can see how that conversation went. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, mcleitsy said:

No doubt. And no big name would willingly come to ATL with that roster. And considering all that didn't happen when Budcox was GMing which inevitably caused the tank....I can see how that conversation went. 

This is my issue with the whole point of the article.   Bud was grumpy about being demoted, Bud didn't do his job to develop players, Bud openly defied ownership and tried to win at all costs.   All this happened and they didn't fire him?   Now why would that be......

• Like 1

Hawks still Hawking. I thought this cover your a$$ gotcha culture was limited to the ASG. I'm not a fan of airing internal dirty laundry in the public to try and make yourself look better.  This is the culture that empowers a clown like Michael Gearon to put his personal agenda ahead of the well being of the organization . Trying to throw this all on Bud and Wes when they are not here to defend themselves is cowardly.

This is 100% Reseller because he's was in charge and the owner. It's like a CEO having a quarterly earnings meeting and blaming everyone around him for under performing expectations. His answer to the analyst and investors is I was a dope to higher these guys. If you were a dope then why aren't you a dope now, and what kind of confidence does this inspire?

I would hate to work for the Hawks when your there your the best when your gone it's character smearing. Buds a moron now that didn't put the Hawks first. Al Horford never gave his all for the Hawks and was saving himself for a decade for Boston.  Both left because of organizational dysfunction and both are looking good in their next stop. 

16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Question for everyone. If best player available when we pick in the draft is a point guard do we still take him?

Basketball is positionless, but defense matters. I would say it depends on what highest rated PG can defend. Imo you can play whatever positions you can defend. Trae is unfortunately a 1 position defender only and that's being generous because he's not a good defender at that position. If the highest rated player is a pg and can defend SGs and Pgs i would say yes draft him. There are other factors but that's a start. 

• Premium Member

I'm not one to condemn Bud in this situation just because his old boss decided to open up and express his perception and reflections on what happened. I'd have to hear from Bud himself before passing judgment on which one was more righteous, or if it really was just a legit difference of professional opinion where right-ness can't be actually gauged with any certainty.

I personally don't care either way what happened with Bud and Wilcox. They arent here anymore and Ressler's still the owner. I hope he becomes the next Arthur.

We have a young exciting team and new coach. I just want to see steady improvements throughout the season. All that worrying about he said she said is for the birds. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hawks are paying Bud millions to not coach here.  If the guy who wanted him gone so much that he agreed to pay him his full contract wants to share why he did that as part of a larger story about his own development as an owner I don’t have a big problem with it.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I

20 hours ago, macdaddy said:

This is my issue with the whole point of the article.   Bud was grumpy about being demoted, Bud didn't do his job to develop players, Bud openly defied ownership and tried to win at all costs.   All this happened and they didn't fire him?   Now why would that be......

My question also - If Bud was 'bad' was Ressler planning on firing Bud at season's end? Why wait for Bud to ask out and pay him all his money?

During the Millsap trade/no trade, per Ressler - "it never got to my desk and if it had I wasn't going to approve the trade".  Another Ressler quote "if you think Bud has final say, you're wrong...he may have the loudest voice but not the final voice."

Yeah Ressy, I'm side eyeing you!

• Like 1