• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Taurean Prince is averaging 21.8 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1 steal per game almost shooting 50/40/90 (49.2/41.9/93.3)

NBASupes

49 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

He’s got to look to pass earlier than he is. He’s also got to improve defensively. This is the biggest thing. If he can cut down turnovers and improve as a defender, he’s an All Star level player IMO.

That's the thing. Prince has been trying to play hero ball. He'll try and create for himself every time without even thinking about the passing the ball until he realizes he can't get his shot off, then tries to pass it as a last resort which causes all these turnovers. I like Prince a lot but this has to stop. He's trying to be the hero and seems like he doesn't want anyone else to be the "man". 

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 hours ago, AHawks89 said:

That's the thing. Prince has been trying to play hero ball. He'll try and create for himself every time without even thinking about the passing the ball until he realizes he can't get his shot off, then tries to pass it as a last resort which causes all these turnovers. I like Prince a lot but this has to stop. He's trying to be the hero and seems like he doesn't want anyone else to be the "man". 

That is a pretty negative way to frame it.  I'm looking at it as he sees a team with a dearth of legit offensive options where he is the best scorer on the team today and trying to step up to provide needed offense to this squad.  I don't see it as him being secretly jealous whenever he sees Trae or someone else go off offensively because he was to be 'the man.'  See it more as a young man who feels he needs to shoulder more of the responsibility.

I think this is also reflected in the quality of shots he has taken overall this year.  Bear in mind, Trae is our leading FGA taker -- not Prince.  And Prince has has some nice point totals with modest to moderate shot volume a couple times this year.  Doesn't seem like he is fully going heel with an approach of having to be the high volume shooter on the roster.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is a pretty negative way to frame it.  I'm looking at it as he sees a team with a dearth of legit offensive options where he is the best scorer on the team today and trying to step up to provide needed offense to this squad.  I don't see it as him being secretly jealous whenever he sees Trae or someone else go off offensively because he was to be 'the man.'  See it more as a young man who feels he needs to shoulder more of the responsibility.

I think this is also reflected in the quality of shots he has taken overall this year.  Bear in mind, Trae is our leading FGA taker -- not Prince.  And Prince has has some nice point totals with modest to moderate shot volume a couple times this year.  Doesn't seem like he is fully going heel with an approach of having to be the high volume shooter on the roster.

Yup this. To me, it’s about lack of scorers on the roster and more of him trying to do something, anything to get it going in a positive direction. Just feel like Prince is not a selfish dude and would do whatever it takes to win. That’s what I’m seeing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, AHF said:

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup this. To me, it’s about lack of scorers on the roster and more of him trying to do something, anything to get it going in a positive direction. Just feel like Prince is not a selfish dude and would do whatever it takes to win. That’s what I’m seeing.

I concur. It's not like there are any other players that can try to create offense for themselves or others. We are severely limited in that department. 

• Like 1

The Prince criticisms remind me a lot of the criticisms DeRozan used to receive. Obviously they have distinct differences in their games, but (talking about DeRozan's early years) ultimately they're both one-dimensional scorers who either look like future All Stars or scrubs depending on whether or not their shots are falling. I don't think we can accurately judge Prince's ability until he gets some help. Collins should relieve some of the pressure if he ever comes back. 

• Like 2

You can't just totally ignore the fact that the offense was flowing (relative to the 3rd quarter) in the first half last night without Prince shouldering the load in any way. We don't need Prince taking the long 2 or contested 3 with plenty of time on the shot clock. I just really think his play style doesn't fit a team ball mentality and why he would be better coming off the bench if we were a better team. 

He's not bad, but the ball stops with him too much. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't see how that is negative. In the prediction thread, I picked Prince to score the most points for a reason. I also picked him to be an All-Star. As I mentioned, I like Prince a lot but I have seen games where he tries to force everything. I believe the majority of the nights, Prince will have good to great games. I think ball movement would help out a lot and get those turnovers down and stop making him look like a selfish player.  

• Premium Member

Prince is overrated by Hawk's fans. His advanced metrics are awful and I think that matches up with the eye test. His point totals and good outside shooting are really the only positives to his net impact on the floor. His passing is an abomination, his defense is non-existent, and he is also not a good rebounder. People were hyping him as being a perennial all star caliber player after his preseason but objectively his ceiling is really something like prime Demarre Carrol IF he can get his defense on track. 

I’m sick of Prince squawk ...even if he were making these shots I can’t stand how he’s playing ! I don’t like his style for the long run with this young team. How the hell is his team suppose to get involved when prince has the “hero ball” mentality????!!!!

and where the hell did this hero ball shit come from!

Prince, Dorsey when he plays , and here and there baze are the ball stoppers of this offense! And none of them are talented enough to always want to go iso . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Prince is overrated by Hawk's fans. His advanced metrics are awful and I think that matches up with the eye test. His point totals and good outside shooting are really the only positives to his net impact on the floor. His passing is an abomination, his defense is non-existent, and he is also not a good rebounder. People were hyping him as being a perennial all star caliber player after his preseason but objectively his ceiling is really something like prime Demarre Carrol IF he can get his defense on track. 

All Hawks players are overrated by us.

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

He can score way better than Carroll at his best. The issue with Prince is simply too much on his plate and he is struggling at PF

8 hours ago, High5 said:

The Prince criticisms remind me a lot of the criticisms DeRozan used to receive. Obviously they have distinct differences in their games, but (talking about DeRozan's early years) ultimately they're both one-dimensional scorers who either look like future All Stars or scrubs depending on whether or not their shots are falling. I don't think we can accurately judge Prince's ability until he gets some help. Collins should relieve some of the pressure if he ever comes back. 

This