• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Kirschner: Hawks quiet in free agency but already nailed off season

JTB

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JTB said:

because I know that Kirschner really has connections with the hawks organization

Please elaborate.

I appreciate the kid's enthusiasm to do a good job, I really do.

But so far, he seems to like to hype himself more than he actually delivers.

Help me overcome my skepticism that he's not just a kid employed as a beat writer for an internet media outlet that probably pays its writers based on clicks... essentially, a commission-based thing where he's part sportswriter and part commissioned salesperson... and thus, predisposed to make his sources appear to be as inner-circle as possible.

18 minutes ago, sturt said:

Please elaborate.

I appreciate the kid's enthusiasm to do a good job, I really do.

But so far, he seems to like to hype himself more than he actually delivers.

Help me overcome my skepticism that he's not just a kid employed as a beat writer for an internet media outlet that probably pays its writers based on clicks... essentially, a commission-based thing where he's part sportswriter and part commissioned salesperson... and thus, predisposed to make his sources appear to be as inner-circle as possible.

He has some decent contact. Especially on the thought process around the org. A lot of my Hawks info is from my guy outside of the org with the league office. 

My tends to be accurate because agents and teams talk. Chris should be more accurate honestly.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He has some decent contact. Especially on the thought process around the org.

No offense... to you or to JTB... but that's not much more reassuring than JTB's comment.

Please elaborate.

Give me some factoids that would be reassuring/supportive of the assertion.

Just now, sturt said:

No offense... to you or to JTB... but that's not much more reassuring than JTB's comment.

Please elaborate.

Give me some factoids that would be reassuring/supportive of the assertion.

He basically has guys in the front office who tells him what's going on. Plus LP and TS isn't shy with information 

50 minutes ago, hazer said:

Trae/Kev/Cam/Dre/John lineup will be exciting as hell to watch.

PG/SG/SG/PF/PF

I’ve been dominating with this lineup in 2k! I’ve taken down Garland and the Cavs..Zion and the Pels..currently giving it to Coby White and the Bulls. 

I love this Fkin lineup.

Sometimes I run 🏃 Crabbe with the starters and then run Huerter as the 1 in the 2nd unit with Turner, Bembry, Spellman and ur boy Bruno.

Yes sirrr!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He basically has guys in the front office who tells him what's going on.

Feels like... raw

And you know this because? He told you he did?

Or the guys themselves told you he told him? And those guys' positions are... scouts?.... coaches?.... secretaries?

(I'm not being sarcastic, btw. I'm just asking honest questions. I know I used to get some inside intel on my alma mater when the AD's secretary attended church where I did, and she'd spill beans on this or that.)

31 minutes ago, sturt said:

Feels like... raw

And you know this because? He told you he did?

Or the guys themselves told you he told him? And those guys' positions are... scouts?.... coaches?.... secretaries?

(I'm not being sarcastic, btw. I'm just asking honest questions. I know I used to get some inside intel on my alma mater when the AD's secretary attended church where I did, and she'd spill beans on this or that.)

It's a collective. Even some players on the roster from what I've heard. I don't know who exactly.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

from what I've heard

No kidding, if you don't want to speak to it, that's fine. Just say so.

Same question still remains... where are you getting your information about the nature of his contacts that persuades you that skepticism is misplaced?

On 7/3/2019 at 6:13 PM, sturt said:

No kidding, if you don't want to speak to it, that's fine. Just say so.

Same question still remains... where are you getting your information about the nature of his contacts that persuades you that skepticism is misplaced?

I see you've expanded the anti-kirschner crusade to now include supes and jtb.

Smdh

Everybody's skeptical.  This crusade doesn't make you special.  It's just that the rest of us take it all with a grain of salt and a decent understanding that no one is gonna give up sources ... or they'll no longer have sources.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Really?

Not so sure the "grain of salt" thing is all that supportable, given how common it is for Kirschner to be quoted as-if his words are gospel.

I don't see it as you see it. To the contrary, there's very little skepticism... even strangely so, given that the position the young man occupies is a hybrid salesman/sportswriting position.

"Crusade?"

Only as much as you might be accused as mounting a "crusade" to ignore normal questions that normal people would seem to normally ask before buying-in.

And to the most important point...

You obfuscate.

That I ask someone for (a) what is reassuring to them that allows them to tamp down their own skepticism is not the same thing as (b) "giving up sources."

There's room between those two.

My skepticism is healthy. I've acknowledged very recently when he got something right. I've also taken issue with him when he has seemed to play loose with what he "reported" based on sources versus publishing opinion, and not distinguishing between the two. I have an undergrad degree in journalism, so pardon me that I get a little testy when reporters cross lines... I happen to know first-hand they should know better because though I'm not in that profession, I sat in the same classes they did.

Kirschner's enthusiasm is great. I wish we could bottle it up and force feed it down C-Viv's throat. He asks good, relevant, sensible questions. But for now, he's in a probation period with regard to the rest. And he's not going to just slide that "sources say" thing past me, for one, until we have some decent track record... at least a few months' work... from which to assess those sources.

Edit: That is... short of JTB or Supes or someone else with their own track record here giving some factoids/reason that better diminishes the need for skepticism.

Show me where I'm wrong. In any of that.

• Premium Member

Let's assume for the moment that Schultz did that. Not a huge leap there, though it's also not a given since journalists do tend to prefer to get credit when it's their sources that break news. But/so, let's say that's what happened.

Okay.

Schultz was a columnist, right?

Are you aware that Schultz ever broke a single Hawks news story in the Schlenk era?

In any era?

Set me straight.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't live there, and never took the AJC.... but as far as I ever knew, he was just the opinion guy, and so, the most he would ever do is to conduct an interview with the current coach or the current GM.

So... given that.... as far as would make any sense, Schultz' "sources" would be pretty much limited to whoever arranged one of those interviews with Bud.... someone's secretary.

And it's getting a little silly here that some people are so concerned to figure out some way to debunk any reason for skepticism, given the whole of the situation.

• Premium Member

My "flimsy" point isn't so easily disparaged unless you actually provide some counter to it beyond a flimsy unsubstantiated GIF, my friend.

(Really beginning to wonder what the real relationship is between a few people here and Kirschner. Strange.)

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

"A lot?"

hehe

Your circle is that large?

That you want to make it seem large is its own commentary on how impotent you feel in trying to somehow excuse Kirschner from normal skepticism.

My reasoning is out there for anyone to dispute and counter.

You, meanwhile, have not much more to offer on the topic than personal jabs at me for even raising issue... nothing of any actual substance.

"Please stop?"... "Sheesh?".... those are my words.

• Haha 1