• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Kirschner: Hawks quiet in free agency but already nailed off season

JTB

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

please.gif

We get it.  We all get it.  Your flimsy point has been made.

I’m sorry I just started laughing so hard and couldn’t stop. That gif is perfect for this 👌 

Good God don’t stop this. Please.

😂 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Help us out, ref...

Why am I wrong?

Or, why is kg wrong?

Settle this.

What is the argument. You don’t believe Supes has a source? You hate Schultz and love Kirsh? And KG says stop 🛑 picking on who you hate? I dunno 🤷‍♀️ fill a brother in. I’m lost.

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

What is the argument. You don’t believe Supes has a source? You hate Schultz and love Kirsh? And KG says stop 🛑 picking on who you hate? I dunno 🤷‍♀️ fill a brother in. I’m lost.

Off topic I know but when is that "New Kids On The Block" avatar thing finally going to go the frack away Spud? Wish it to the cornfield or anywhere please. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He basically thinks no one has sources and we're fools for listening to them.

🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I see you've expanded the anti-kirschner crusade to now include supes and jtb.

Smdh

Everybody's skeptical.  This crusade doesn't make you special.  It's just that the rest of us take it all with a grain of salt and a decent understanding that no one is gonna give up sources ... or they'll no longer have sources.

I like Kirschner. I never spoke ill of him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Off topic I know but when is that "New Kids On The Block" avatar thing finally going to go the frack away Spud? Wish it to the cornfield or anywhere please. 

Oh you didn’t hear. I lost a bet. I bet the Cavs pick to us would convert in that top 10 protected scenario this year. I thought it would be around 12-16 pick somewhere. Forgot that IT, Tristan, JR, Clarkson, Nance jr and company couldn’t get their crap together even as vets to make a run in the east as the 9th or 10th seed. In any event, I have to accept this L*ka avatar as part of the bet till opening night. You can be sure it’s gone that day, not even night when the games start. Im talking 12am of the opening day. 😊 

17 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He basically thinks no one has sources and we're fools for listening to them.

🙄

Does he have a source or nobody on earth 🌎 is friends with anybody?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sturt said:

Let's assume for the moment that Schultz did that. Not a huge leap there, though it's also not a given since journalists do tend to prefer to get credit when it's their sources that break news. But/so, let's say that's what happened.

Okay.

Schultz was a columnist, right?

Are you aware that Schultz ever broke a single Hawks news story in the Schlenk era?

In any era?

Set me straight.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I don't live there, and never took the AJC.... but as far as I ever knew, he was just the opinion guy, and so, the most he would ever do is to conduct an interview with the current coach or the current GM.

So... given that.... as far as would make any sense, Schultz' "sources" would be pretty much limited to whoever arranged one of those interviews with Bud.... someone's secretary.

And it's getting a little silly here that some people are so concerned to figure out some way to debunk any reason for skepticism, given the whole of the situation.

Man too many to name.  He had LP tagged before he was officially announced.  But, he isn't a talk out of school journalist, he prefers to get guys on record and make educated responses to questions.  He is more Peter King then Woj.   Peter doesn't break news, but if he says a team or player is thinking/feeling something he heard it first hand.   Jeff is the same in Atlanta.  Broke the Julio holdout with Falcons.  He is connected.  But, look you believe what you like.   

8 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Oh you didn’t hear. I lost a bet. I bet the Cavs pick to us would convert in that top 10 protected scenario this year.

Did hear but we are talking a type of torture that can only be remedied by Zolaft and don't see that as remotely humane.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Thomas said:

Did hear but we are talking a type of torture that can only be remedied by Zolaft and don't see that as remotely humane.  

I just assume not post till then. @kg01 @hazer and @JayBirdHawk are my burners. I hate my avatar. 😊 (kinda serious but that Kawhi thing I might..oh and summer league...oh boy).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Understood, a dollar grants me a Fantsy Five ticket dream you know so the avatar bet thing just ain't gonna happen here. Very good luck moving forward with that stuff guy.

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He got peeved by this initially (He is a fan)

"I don’t know how many times I can say this, but there was zero interest in Bol. None. One of the executives came up to me a few weeks before the draft and asked me why several outlets were projecting the Hawks to draft him, and he made it very clear during that talk how the front office felt about being linked to Bol. Schlenk was at Bol’s pro day workout, but there was never interest in him. Those agency workouts are a good place for GMs to be around other GMs and scouts and get more info about other players.

Thought we should have drafted him with one of the later picks we traded for future 2nds and cash.

He questioned Kirschner's brashness, age and if he had any real sources then, and he's questioning it again along with Supes sources. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Nope.

Never questioned Supes' source.

He's a known quantity. It's not like he's getting paid based on clicks on his content. It's not like he's building a resume.

I like Bird, but she's one to routinely build-in to her posts some passive aggressive sniping.

In this case, she sided with those who weren't big on Bol. And that's fine. It's true, that's another case where she took a side different from mine.

But that's not a problem. Heaven knows, there was no shortage of both fans and media types who took that side. If I were just incessantly "peeved"... her word... then there'd be a laundry list of individuals facing my uncontrollable rage, which of course, is cleverly disguised as mere "skepticism." (hehe)

So, she's looking for this thing to be somehow some personal antagonism. That the kid set me off somehow.

Well, to be completely truthful, I barely had any thought about the guy until he did something that struck me as just silly... and this, well ahead of any of that Bol discussion, iirc...

... and so much so, that it struck me that maybe he's an actual Hawks fan who was hyping his own draft dream.... ie, I commented at the time, why didn't he also include Barrett's mother (or grandmother?).... practically as useful as gaining his AAU coach's perspective.

So, not unlike how C-Viv eventually kinda forced himself into my consciousness years ago (and not in a good way), so it was with Kirschner. Previous to C-Viv, I'd had no real problem with any of the Hawks beat writers.

Again, I've made an effort to call balls and strikes no matter what Kirschner's pitched. That's just a matter of fact, even giving him credit before anyone else did.

But even if he threw everything in the strike zone where accuracy is concerned, there would be reason for skepticism just by nature of his youth and how he gets paid, and his palpable tendency toward hyperbole (... for instance, he for some reason thought it was impressive that Goga could actually recite Vince Carter and Alex Len's names).

Not everything has been in the strike zone. As stated earlier, he's blurred lines that, as a professional journalist, aren't okay, between commentary/opinion and news reporting.

Setting all that aside, it all boils down to this.

Do you trust commissioned sales people, just carte blanche... like that you quote them, as-if what they've told you is gospel?

Or do you totally distrust them?

Or, do you do something more like in the middle.

I believe Kirschner gets paid based on how many clicks his content generates. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll apologize.

I believe Kirschner, probably because he's so young, but likely also because of that commission-based compensation, is prone to overhyping his sources so that people are that much more inclined to click.

There's a balance, though.

I mean, it's not like he's making things up, either. He has some source(s). He's been right most notably about the possibility of a 2 for 1 trade in the offing... which ended up justified when we got Parsons.

So... something in the middle.

Definitely not carte blanche as some have granted him, though... which has peeved some about me, evidently.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

Man too many to name.  He had LP tagged before he was officially announced.  But, he isn't a talk out of school journalist, he prefers to get guys on record and make educated responses to questions.  He is more Peter King then Woj.   Peter doesn't break news, but if he says a team or player is thinking/feeling something he heard it first hand.   Jeff is the same in Atlanta.  Broke the Julio holdout with Falcons.  He is connected.  But, look you believe what you like.   

First record I can find of Schultz speaking about Pierce's hire is 5/11/18.

The same date, NBA.com reported that there was an agreement in principle between the Hawks and Pierce.

Maybe I'm missing something?

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Setting all that aside, it all boils down to this.

Do you trust commissioned sales people, just carte blanche... like that you quote them, as-if what they've told you is gospel?

Or do you totally distrust them?

Or, do you do something more like in the middle.

I believe Kirschner gets paid based on how many clicks his content generates. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll apologize.

I believe Kirschner, probably because he's so young, but likely also because of that commission-based compensation, is prone to overhyping his sources so that people are that much more inclined to click.

There's a balance, though.

I mean, it's not like he's making things up, either. He has some source(s). He's been right most notably about the possibility of a 2 for 1 trade in the offing... which ended up justified when we got Parsons.

So... something in the middle.

Definitely not carte blanche as some have granted him, though... which has peeved some about me, evidently.

FYI....seems as though your premise is off base. 

"So we decided to take a different approach. The Athletic’s model is simple. We pay our writers well and rely on subscriptions, not ad revenue, to support our business. We’ve removed ads, pop-ups, and auto-play videos, giving subscribers a vastly better reading experience. And we’ve said goodbye to click-bait, allowing the nation’s best sports writers to focus on producing high-quality, substantive coverage for The Athletic, without the pressure of generating “clicks.”"

• Premium Member

I apologize for the part about generating income from clicks.

It's not clicks.

It's subscriptions.

I kinda knew that, having been a subscriber, but misspoke.

The commission part though... which is central to my assertion... remains.

The business model inherently isn't going to work if they're not drawing subscriptions from ATL fans to pay for ATL coverage.... it goes with why they only expand into markets one or a few at a time... and with why Kirschner and his friends are so persistent in hyping each others' stories on Twitter.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

I like Bird, but she's one to routinely build-in to her posts some passive aggressive sniping.

Like I've already told you in the new country.....I'm neither passive nor agressive....I'm just well balanced.

So try something new.

• Like 4