• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which STYLE of play are we from the past

Spud2nique

So a lot of us are obviously tracking the Hawks team plans etc. and have for a while and have been NBA fans for either a little while of a long time.

Based on what we have built so far we don’t quite have an identity, are we an offensive team or a defensive team in the making. On court balling usually dictates a team’s style of play but since we are so young, we are still building. If you chose the direct for us: who do you want our style of play to most resemble from the past.

I’ll throw a few popular ones out there...

Lakers 80’s (showtime offense)

Pistons 80’s (Bad Boy defense)

Celtics 80’s (Insane froncourt, gritty guard play end of game lockdown motion Bird)

Jazz 80’s/90’s (PnR to death n shoot)

Supersonics 90’s (1 to 4 same as jazz but more athletic offense with crazy oops 😬 upside ur heads #20to#40 and killer Detlefs n Herseys outside and in

Warriors 90’s (run TMC straight O and creative versatile O at that)

Bulls 90’s ( 😐..ya..)

What say you? Or do you have another? 

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Why? We might have a stud in the making of a Rodman, Buck Williams type on D in Hunter. Bruno might be a defensive stud in a Mahornish way. Cam has defensive skills. He would be our Joe D. on D.

Its not that far fetched imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Our system is a blend of the mid 2000s Suns, with some actions similar to the Warriors and Sixers. But truely, we are just Moreyball 2.0

But is that the way you wanna build it? I agree with what we currently look like looks like the teams you described and I agree but there is a chance we find our identity and become a gritty defensive team that hits key 3’s late and locks people down. I’m just saying with Lloyd, we could be headed towards a gritty D style team in the Pistons mold.

But I hear you and agree that’s what we currently look like for sure.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Our defense largely depends on improvement from Trae, Kev and John and of course our youngins, Cam, DAH and Bruno

Exactly.  Our rookies have yet to prove themselves and our proven commodities are subpar defensively.  This thread seems like more overzealous hype. Hawks are a young team with a bright future, but still have a long road ahead to be great. We're at least 4-5 seasons from being contenders.  And the new age Hawks will be... the new age Hawks.

Hawks defense depends on (1) the defensive maturity of our young Hawks already here. (2) On the defense of our three rookie draft picks.  (3) How serious our coaching staff are about our defense and how quickly they can bring their teaching to bare.

With all our youth, Improvement is sure to come to this team the further they go into the season.  They will play like "the new Hawks!"

:smug:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

This thread seems like more overzealous hype.

Because I asked what type of team people want to build on a Hawks website full of Hawks fans? 

Ya,  not sorry to be enthusiastic about the Hawks on Hawksquawk. 🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Because I asked what type of team people want to build on a Hawks website full of Hawks fans? 

Ya,  not sorry to be enthusiastic about the Hawks on Hawksquawk. 🙈🙉🙊

It's one thing to be enthusiastic, but it's another to be unrealistic. We aren't the showtime Lakers or the Stockton/Malone Jazz.  I've said in the past that Collins reminds me of Kemp, but Trae is not even comparable to Payton which is why I don't like player or team comparisons. We aren't any of those teams or comparable to anybody.  We are currently a young team that will build our own identity.  If anything, we're a hybrid-lite version of a few past teams... But to compare an unproven team to past dynasties cheapens what those past teams were IMHO.

• Confused 1

It's one thing to be enthusiastic, but it's another to be unrealistic. We aren't the showtime Lakers or the Stockton/Malone Jazz.  I've said in the past that Collins reminds me of Kemp, but Trae is not even comparable to Payton which is why I don't like player or team comparisons. We aren't any of those teams or comparable to anybody.  We are currently a young team that will build our own identity.  If anything, we're a hybrid-lite version of a few past teams... But to compare an unproven team to past dynasties cheapens what those past teams were IMHO.

I took nothing away from those team to try and cheapen them in any way. I’ve watched teams in the past morph from one type of team to another. I’m not saying the Hawks are gonna be better than any of those, I was just wondering what kind of team would most of us want to resemble, even the slightest bit as far as scheme.

If anybody respects old school it’s me. I don’t think we’ve made it at all by any means, I just like the blueprint and where we are potentially headed that’s all.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I took nothing away from those team to try and cheapen them in any way. I’ve watched teams in the past morph from one type of team to another. I’m not saying the Hawks are gonna be better than any of those, I was just wondering what kind of team would most of us want to resemble, even the slightest bit as far as scheme.

If anybody respects old school it’s me. I don’t think we’ve made it at all by any means, I just like the blueprint and where we are potentially headed that’s all.

But answer the OP, I see a hybrid of 1995-96 Sonics mixed with 2004-05 Suns with a dash of 1999-00 Sixers... but it's hard to say because it all depends on whether or not our rooks pan out and if Trae develops to be a pass-first or shoot-first PG.  Again, too early to say for sure which way this team will go.

• Like 1

But answer the OP, I see a hybrid of 1995-96 Sonics mixed with 2004-05 Suns with a dash of 1999-00 Sixers... but it's hard to say because it all depends on whether or not our rooks pan out and if Trae develops to be a pass-first or shoot-first PG.  Again, too early to say for sure which way this team will go.

👏 see. Not that hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s pretty clear that with our fast pace offense and ability to be a high scoring team on any given night along with a point guard and big man that are tremendous in pick’n roll or pick’n pop yet lackluster defense....we are the Danton’s/Steve Nash/Amare Stoudamire Phx Suns!

there is no better comparison in my opinion unless these rookies change that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaceCase said:

Yea.... after Woody let him get bullied for so long he decided "never again!"

Story sound familiar, Spudlous? 😉

🤣 So you watched the ABC Soth special too? 😂 

Oh you mean... HOW DARE U? 😢 

• Haha 1