• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Power Rankings: Hawks Like George and Wheezy

AHF

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, AHF said:

Honestly, based purely on the team stats from the first two games, offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, strength of schedule, point differential etc. We are easily a top 5 team so far. Of course it's a ridiculously small sample size and odds of Trae finishing the year avg 39 points on 70% is pretty much south of 0.1% but non the less if you are giving us a grade based purely on past performance and not future expectation there are very few teams that have looked overall better on both ends then the Hawks and that is an indisputable fact. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020.html

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

Honestly, based purely on the team stats from the first two games, offensive efficiency, defensive efficiency, strength of schedule, point differential etc. We are easily a top 5 team so far. Of course it's a ridiculously small sample size and odds of Trae finishing the year avg 39 points on 70% is pretty much south of 0.1% but non the less if you are giving us a grade based purely on past performance and not future expectation there are very few teams that have looked overall better on both ends then the Hawks and that is an indisputable fact. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020.html

I don't think they are consistent with their methodology because they have a 2-1 team as the #1 squad over 4 undefeated teams but I do think that performance year to date is how the list is weighted.  

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't read that as Trae needing to be THIS good all season but more like keeping us his improved D and electric offensive play in the second half last season and these first two games.  I do think they need him to be an absolute star to make the playoffs which is where that was going (IMO) but 100% also agree with you that development from our other players can make up for the natural regression he will have in his shooting %s.

Well if that's the case, I guess I can see it. But it sort of brings light to the elephant in the room.  That is, what exactly is Trae? What are realistic progressions for him this year?  I'm assuming we can agree that the 1st 2 games overshoot any "reasonable" progression even from the 2nd half of last season (where he avg 21.6 pts / 8.6 ast after January 1).  Coming into the year, I was thinking a reasonable growth for him would be consistently avg 24 / 9 on efficient shooting. 

Well after 2 games, I'm now wondering if that is woefully shortchanging him. Could he be a 28 / 9 guy in year 2? Could he actually avg 30 pts? Is that reasonable long-term? I honestly don't know. 

Edited by REHawksFan
  • Like 3

Yeah I have to think most of these rankings are based off belief in what a team is going to do from the preseason still. If what we've seen from Golden State continues through the next 18-20 games or so, you best believe they'll probably start getting ranked in the bottom 5. If the Hawks continue playing competitive ball through this tough early stretch and are respectable, you'll start seeing a consistent ranking around the middle of the pack.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Well if that's the case, I guess I can see it. But it sort of brings light to the elephant in the room.  That is, what exactly is Trae? What are realistic progressions for him this year?  I'm assuming we can agree that the 1st 2 games overshoot any "reasonable" progression even from the 2nd half of last season (where he avg 21.6 pts / 8.6 ast after January 1).  Coming into the year, I was thinking a reasonable growth for him would be consistently avg 24 / 9 on efficient shooting. 

Well after 2 games, I'm now wondering if that is woefully shortchanging him. Could he be a 28 / 9 guy in year 2? Could he actually avg 30 pts? Is that reasonable long-term? I honestly don't know. 

All i need is for Trae to be efficient shooting the ball, effective running the offense and keeping his teammates involved, limit turnovers and play with the defensive intensity and instinct he's shown in the 1st two games. The nimbers will be whatever they are.

What I don't want is the shot volume disparity between Trae and the next Hawks player. Trae took 25 shots, the next highest was 9 by Reddish/Bembry.

Granted, some of that is a by product of Orlando's offensive scheme and who they have at PG.

I don't think that's sustainable.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I agree.  I think the main reason for the shot disparity was Orlando and their ability to take away John.  They also clog up the passing lanes.  I rather Trae shot when he's hot than get those turnover trying to get his teammates involved.  

But that shot disparity doesn't need to happen on a consistent basis.  

Agreed, I also noted in game thread, playing with two rookies, struggle monster Len plus 7 new teammates.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

All i need is for Trae to be efficient shooting the ball, effective running the offense and keeping his teammates involved, limit turnovers and play with the defensive intensity and instinct he's shown in the 1st two games. The nimbers will be whatever they are.

What I don't want is the shot volume disparity between Trae and the next Hawks player. Trae took 25 shots, the next highest was 9 by Reddish/Bembry.

Granted, some of that is a by product of Orlando's offensive scheme and who they have at PG.

I don't think that's sustainable.

I hear ya. I guess I just don't think 23 attempts is too many for Trae.  The elite players on really good teams with secondary scorers live in the 18-20 attempt range. On this team - without established options other than JC - I'm ok with 23 attempts. I just want to see efficiency with those shots. 

• Like 1

Our core moving forward is/are all of college age guys. Trae, Huerter, Cam, Hunter, JC and Bruno. Normally the lack of NBA floor time would be a negative with such youth. A bit different for us do believe. Whats that saying "Future so bright we gotta wear shades." Anyway like others have said not everything holds up perfectly over a season but we are pretty well set (that statement with Len backing up Bruno sooner than most of us thought) and am saying that we hit the playoffs this year and also have get well wishes for Bruno to get back on the court very soon to help all this come true. He is the long term center of our future.  

• Like 1