• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ask Supes

NBASupes

8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well I would say wiseman has legit star potential but he’s 3-4 years away....by the time he’s ready to contribute Trae would be ready to leave .

but as far as keeping our own pick ...if we somehow land the number 1 pick I believe the only player that can provide some type of instant impact is Edwards. Wiseman and LaMelo aren’t ready yet 

I'm starting to lean toward a preference of trading the pick for an established player. Or at least strongly considering that move. I'm just less and less impressed that there's anyone in this draft that will end up elite. Hawks need more immediate impact players and I dont see that so far from the draft. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm starting to lean toward a preference of trading the pick for an established player. Or at least strongly considering that move. I'm just less and less impressed that there's anyone in this draft that will end up elite. Hawks need more immediate impact players and I dont see that so far from the draft. 

Who is the established player that is AVAILABLE for a top #7 pick?

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Who is the established player that is AVAILABLE for a top #7 pick?

I don't know at this point. Maybe not anyone until the summer. I would think that holding the pick til the draft could open up some opportunities to trade it for an established player. Who that exactly is, I'm not sure. 

I'm more just speaking to the philosophy of adding another high lotto pick vs adding an established player. IF the ceiling for whomever would be available with the Hawks pick this summer is DeAndre Hunter then I just as soon trade the pick for a player that can contribute sooner. And again, as of right now, I'm just sort of leaning that way. I'm getting tired of the developmental players. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I don't know at this point. Maybe not anyone until the summer. I would think that holding the pick til the draft could open up some opportunities to trade it for an established player. Who that exactly is, I'm not sure. 

I'm more just speaking to the philosophy of adding another high lotto pick vs adding an established player. IF the ceiling for whomever would be available with the Hawks pick this summer is DeAndre Hunter then I just as soon trade the pick for a player that can contribute sooner. And again, as of right now, I'm just sort of leaning that way. I'm getting tired of the developmental players. 

There are ton of 'Established' players, who are some established players you have in mind (forget their availability for a minute) that you would trade a top pick for?

Not guys like Giannis, KAT types etc. that's easy.

• Like 1

Chances of Atlanta trading that pick is likely extremely low. Especially since I expect us to finish somewhere around 6-10. It's really a money thing. Draft picks are the most flexible contracts to add to your roster. 4 years, elite control and low salaries gives you a chance to add talent and fit without breaking the bank in FA. Even if you want to break the bank like us. Gives you the cap flexibility to maintain it with higher end talent. 

A no brainer even if you plan on adding just role playing fit guys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Yesh, yesh ... lean into that feeling.   Don't let burd sway you to the dark side.

We need to trade this pick.  Some dumb organization will be all gaga over it.  And some established guy is looking to be moved, surely.

Make it happen, cap'n.  You have kg in your corner.  Admittedly, I don't know if you should be encouraged or horrified by that fact.

• Haha 2

No question, Hawks have needs right now.  Other teams have players who want to move.  These teams would like to have good draft picks if they are going to lose their player.

If, and that's a great big if, a player that fits our need is available for one of our draft picks and he is willing to come here and play for years and years, make the deal unless he costs too much.  Don't break the bank on him.

Now, no matter how great he might fit, if it is for a short time, then he's gone off to greener pastures, we don't need him here.

:keep_order:

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There are ton of 'Established' players, who are some established players you have in mind (forget their availability for a minute) that you would trade a top pick for?

Not guys like Giannis, KAT types etc. that's easy.

I'd trade a top 7 pick in THIS YEAR'S draft for these players off the top of my head (I haven't looked at these contracts so this is ignoring whether they are on a bad contract or not and whether they are available or not):

• Bradley Beal
  • Jonathan Isaac
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Zach LaVine
  • Kris Middleton, etc...

I'm sure there are others. 

• Premium Member

Supes hinted at this, so I'll expand:

The fact the Hawks are close yet under the cap is not the greatest advantage.  Any trade they make can only take them over the cap by 100K. 

I was noticing the difficulties of this when trying to come up with Adams trades.

1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

I'd trade a top 7 pick in THIS YEAR'S draft for these players off the top of my head (I haven't looked at these contracts so this is ignoring whether they are on a bad contract or not and whether they are available or not):

• Bradley Beal
  • Jonathan Isaac
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Zach LaVine
  • Kris Middleton, etc...

Ok, ok, you had me at Beal ... and lost me with the others. 

Unless you're talking Isaac, Bamba, plus their 1st.  Something like that.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

• Bradley Beal
  • Jonathan Isaac
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Zach LaVine
  • Kris Middleton, etc...

Only player I'd trade EASILY  for in that group for a top pick is is Jonathan Isaac, when I factor in age and current contract.

Beal and Jrue I give very minimal consideration, they always seem to be injured.

Do you really want to see a backcourt of Trae and Lavine? Easy Pass - unless they're including WCJr.

Middleton - think Joe Johnson, straight back to the treadmill. Paid like Batman but really a Robin.

Here's the other think to consider, these teams will want a young player attached to the pick.

Example: When Orlando traded Oladipo and #11(Sabonis) for Ibaka (Established player) - how'd that work out for them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Only player I'd trade EASILY  for in that group for a top pick is is Jonathan Isaac, when I factor in age and current contract.

Beal and Jrue I give very minimal consideration, they always seem to be injured.

Do you really want to see a backcourt of Trae and Lavine? Easy Pass - unless they're including WCJr.

Middleton - think Joe Johnson, straight back to the treadmill. Paid like Batman but really a Robin.

Here's the other think to consider, these teams will want a young player attached to the pick.

Example: When Orlando traded Oladipo and #11(Sabonis) for Ibaka (Established player) - how'd that work out for them. 

TBH, I started not to respond with any list of players and this is exactly why. It's just too easy to poke holes in any player I throw out. BUT, BUT, BUT.....unless you are trying to assert that there are NO players in the league worth trading a Top 7 pick for (I don't think you are saying this but could be wrong), then this exercise is completely unnecessary.  I'm not the GM. I trust TS to identify the established players that would: A. help the Hawks; B. are available; and C. are on decent contracts. Surely such a player exists. 

Now back to that philosophy I spoke of. I will turn the tables a bit on you and ask you to tell me which of the potential draft players (Top 7) you think would be an immediate impact player for the Hawks??  That's the point here. I'm not suggesting I'd feel the same way if there was an actual immediate impact player like Luka, Zion (if he's ever healthy), or Ja in this draft. But I don't see one. So I *think* I'm willing to trade in my asset for an established player that can help the Hawks and is on the same timeline as Trae, JC, Kev, and the rest of the core. 

And it doesn't have to be a 1-1 deal. Like you said, it could include other players. I'd trade 1+Len + Parker for Isaac + Bamba today. 

Edited by REHawksFan

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

Now back to that philosophy I spoke of. I will turn the tables a bit on you and ask you to tell me which of the potential draft players (Top 7) you think would be an immediate impact player for the Hawks?? 

I don't watch college basketball.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't watch college basketball.

Then how are you so confident that keeping the pick is the best way to go? If you don't know what level of player you could get in the draft, I'm not sure how anyone could make an informed decision on whether keeping the pick or trading it is better. 

20 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Then how are you so confident that keeping the pick is the best way to go? If you don't know what level of player you could get in the draft, I'm not sure how anyone could make an informed decision on whether keeping the pick or trading it is better. 

It’s the allure of the unknown player.  The Hawks will have a top 3 pick, again, and a lot of fans who have bought into this tanking idea truly believe that amassing several top 3 picks will lead to a championship caliber team.

28 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I just don't understand the rush of trading the pick when we have tons of capspace to pick up really good role players in the off season. 

Yes, I don't think the rookies will have an immediate impact, but you never know.  

I'd rather draft the top pick, let him play sparingly  in a simplified role and develop while adding solid vets through free agency.  You need multiple young assets to pull off big deals in the future.  That way the team will improve.  The reason the team hasn't improved much this season is the vets. If they are improved along with small imrpovements with our Young core, I can see the Hawks being a .500 team next season.

Edited by marco102

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

YES!

Is Middleton even a Robin ???? Seriously lol. I like Middleton but the contract he got is in question until he proves he can really be the robin to Giannis. Also please don’t think joe Johnson... he’s no where near Johnson’s level in my opinion. He’s a better 3pt shooter than JJ sure but overall  I’m taking johnson all day over Middleton in their prime.

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It’s the allure of the unknown player.  The Hawks will have a top 3 pick, again, and a lot of fans who have bought into this tanking idea truly believe that amassing several top 3 picks will lead to a championship caliber team.

Nope, just believe why trade the pick when you have capspace to get free agents. I'd rather have a wealth of talent than pigeonholing myself by trading away a future Giannis to another team and sit back and here you guys play hindsight GM.

Edited by marco102

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I was on board with that the first year. But now they have their budding super star (Trae), budding all star (JC), and multiple role players (Kev, Cam, and Hunter). It's time now to infuse the experienced talent. If there's not a sure fire, immediate impact all star level player in this draft, I don't see the benefit in keeping the pick. But that's just me. I'd rather let some other team bet on the potential of a young player. We have enough "potential" bets going already. 

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I just don't understand the rush of trading the pick when we have tons of capspace to pick up really good role players in the off season. 

I'd rather package the pick for something better than a role player than keep the pick and overpay in FA for role players. IF there were players worth the $80M they will have in FA then my attitude on the pick would likely be similar to yours. In general, I like to keep high picks and use them. I just don't see it with this particular draft and where the Hawks are right now.