Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Premium Member

Either a free agent but I want to trade our pick with non core pieces to get a premium player. We have something special with Young and Collins. Capela can board and block. We need an elite wing player to put with them to really contend.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, High5 said:

Exactly. That’s why we should strive to get better shooters. The strategy is sound. We have uniquely talented players in Trae and John to maximize that strategy. Once teams are forced to respect our shooters more we’ll be able clean up in the paint. Trying to play any other way is honestly foolish.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:05 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

The bench rarely play as a full unit together, and won't be back.  Half are already no longer here.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, High5 said:

Turner and Bembry took a combined 1.8 3's. That's a very insignificant number. Parker probably took too many, but they were all WIDE open shots that John knocked down later in the season. The goal is to replace those bad shooters with competent ones, and for our young players to become more consistent. That is how our offense becomes elite. Not by shying away from our strengths to accommodate lousy players that don't have a future with the team.

Again, it was a developmental year. The players who will be around next season all got valuable experience playing the type of offense we will continue to play. It doesn't matter how poorly Bembry, Turner, Carter, Parker, etc. played in the offense because they won't be back. 

Speaking about our shooting needs (from the draft Sim article in the draft thread) We talked about our bad 3 point shooters already gone or those who won't be back.

Vecenie: I’m a little bit less concerned about the long-term shooting need on the wing for the Hawks than it seems you are. That team-wide percentage is being brought down by guys who are not long-term pieces on this roster. Jabari Parker shot 27 percent from 3 in his time in Atlanta. Dewayne Dedmon is at 22 percent so far. Jeff Teague is at 33 percent, and Allen Crabbe was at 32. Vince Carter is down at 30 percent, and DeAndre’ Bembry only at 23.1 percent.

On the other hand, the long-term pieces on the perimeter can shoot. Young is a monster, of course. Kevin Huerter is a terrific shooter, obviously. I’m a pretty big believer in Cam Reddish’s touch as a jump-shooter long-term even though he only hit 33 percent from 3 as a rookie. I’d expect Reddish to be up around the 38 percent mark pretty consistently throughout his career. And then, at least as a catch-and-shoot threat, I also believe in De’Andre Hunter, who hit nearly 36 percent as a rookie on more than 300 attempts. In general, the long-term track record on guys who hit at that rate on that number of attempts as a rookie is quite strong.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Speaking about our shooting needs (from the draft Sim article in the draft thread) We talked about our bad 3 point shooters already gone or those who won't be back.

Vecenie: I’m a little bit less concerned about the long-term shooting need on the wing for the Hawks than it seems you are. That team-wide percentage is being brought down by guys who are not long-term pieces on this roster. Jabari Parker shot 27 percent from 3 in his time in Atlanta. Dewayne Dedmon is at 22 percent so far. Jeff Teague is at 33 percent, and Allen Crabbe was at 32. Vince Carter is down at 30 percent, and DeAndre’ Bembry only at 23.1 percent.

On the other hand, the long-term pieces on the perimeter can shoot. Young is a monster, of course. Kevin Huerter is a terrific shooter, obviously. I’m a pretty big believer in Cam Reddish’s touch as a jump-shooter long-term even though he only hit 33 percent from 3 as a rookie. I’d expect Reddish to be up around the 38 percent mark pretty consistently throughout his career. And then, at least as a catch-and-shoot threat, I also believe in De’Andre Hunter, who hit nearly 36 percent as a rookie on more than 300 attempts. In general, the long-term track record on guys who hit at that rate on that number of attempts as a rookie is quite strong.

Hmmm.  This sounds familiar.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:25 AM, macdaddy said:

What's the deal with Otto Porter?  He just has one year left on a truly bad contract.  I wonder what it would take to get him other than a pick.  

I'd also like Will Barton as a scorer off the bench.   

I like Porter and mentioned him way back when this thread first started. Two issues really:

1 - Coming off a injury.

2 - I think with the virus uncertainty he is a lock to opt in now.

I got shot down because of him being starter quality. I think the biggest negatives is his salary and he could possibly be a one year rental.

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like Porter and mentioned him way back when this thread first started. Two issues really:

1 - Coming off a injury.

2 - I think with the virus uncertainty he is a lock to opt in now.

I got shot down because of him being starter quality. I think the biggest negatives is his salary and he could possibly be a one year rental.

To me that's perfect.  He will definitely opt in but it's a big contract for one year.   We may not want to re-sign him after next year anyway but he'd be veteran talent and shooting off the bench and sometimes starter.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me that's perfect.  He will definitely opt in but it's a big contract for one year.   We may not want to re-sign him after next year anyway but he'd be veteran talent and shooting off the bench and sometimes starter.   

What will the Bulls want for a Tier 3 All Star? Remember the part, one year rental. If that is the direction they take, they will be asking for a 1st to start up their rebuild.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

What will the Bulls want for a tier 3 All Star? Remember the part, one year rental. If that is the direction they take, they will be asking for a 1st to start up their rebuild.

Probably but they may not get it.  I think what they want more than anything is to not pay him 25million next season.   The list of guys who actually brought back a 1st in this situation is pretty short i think.    Of course i'm not sure the logistics here since we don't have matching salary to send out.  

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Probably but they may not get it.  I think what they want more than anything is to not pay him 25million next season.   The list of guys who actually brought back a 1st in this situation is pretty short i think.    Of course i'm not sure the logistics here since we don't have matching salary to send out.  

Gallinari is someone who I think fits his model and OKC did not move him; despite the Heat being rumored to have him as their prime deadline target. We could eat his salary in a dump once trades are allowed and the cap is officially declared. That would only leave us roughly 12M to spend though.

Porter will be getting paid 28.4M next season.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/danilo-gallinari-6138/

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Otto Porter hasn’t done enough to warrant paying him, at least not for us. He played 56 games 2 years ago and 14 last year. I feel like we can get a cheaper version via draft or a cheaper vet.

I agree. 28.4M is to high a price tag. Gallinari only made a shade over 20M last season and no one bit on him for a 1st.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

What will the Bulls want for a Tier 3 All Star? Remember the part, one year rental. If that is the direction they take, they will be asking for a 1st to start up their rebuild.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Otto Porter hasn’t done enough to warrant paying him, at least not for us. He played 56 games 2 years ago and 14 last year. I feel like we can get a cheaper version via draft or a cheaper vet.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I agree. 28.4M is to high a price tag. Gallinari only made a shade over 20M last season and no one bit on him for a 1st.

The Bulls should be paying us a 1st to take him. Especially if the cap drops and he opts in and given his injury concerns.

$28 mil is huuuge! We got a 1st for Allen Crabbe's $16 million. Otto maybe better but he has similar injury concerns and paid $12 mil more.

So...if we luck out on other FAs and Bulls are paying us to take him for 1 year sign me up. We take him into our capspace and roll our capspace over to 2021. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hollingers take on salary expectatuons:

I expect Melton to get offers for the full midlevel exception; the only question is whether a rebuilding cap-room team like Atlanta, Charlotte or Detroit would have the stones to go beyond that. In either case, the Grizzlies are protected by the Arenas rule, meaning that the first two years of any offers sheet to Melton could only be for the MLE, but the money could potentially increase in subsequent years. The most likely endgame to me is him returning to Memphis on a lesser version of the Brooks deal — something on the order of three years, $30 million.

The risk for the Grizzlies is if Melton gets a bananas offer sheet, leaving Memphis with a difficult decision on whether to match it or let him walk. Internally, I imagine the front office is determining what the walk-away number would be.

• Like 2

I like Melton but he's not a Hawks prospect. Hawks like guys who dribble, pass, and shoot. Melton is 6'2 who's can pass. His dribbling is okay but for his size, just average and he can't really shoot. You can be an analytics darling like Melton has been for years but Atlanta hasn't shown any love to analytics darlings as LP/TS is about a certain style of play. Not to mention, Memphis has his early bird rights, he can still be matched and I like Melton. A lot! One of my favorite players to watch during my LP binge. 

I am glad they are giving him attention, he's a good player. 

• Like 2

Knowing what I know now

My top FAs are: 

1. Joe Harris. He won't be cheap and Brooklyn wants to keep him, maybe he might want to leave but I have nothing backing that statement. 

2. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - See Harris

3. Wes Matthews - Cheaper, we need a 4th wing who can shoot. 

4. Furkan Korkmaz - See Wes but less experience, but younger

5. Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - Lights out shooter. 

1. Jordan Clarkson - Lights out scorer. Gives us the ability to run him and Kevin at the same time. 

1. Gordon Hayward - Best FA available if available. Sign him at ALL COST within a 3 year deal. 

2. Jae Crowder - Miami has the cap to resign him but we need a 4th wing BAD. 

3. Maurice Harkless - See Jae

4. Torrey Craig - Maybe we can steal Craig out of Denver

1. Resign Teague

2. Resign Skal