• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Backup PG, Wing, PF.

Besides the usual high target UFA names: VanVleet, Harris, Bertans, Harrell....

At the trade deadline I wanted us to trade for Beasley and Hernangomez...I guess we can pursue them in FA. Likely than Minny matches RFA offer for Beasely though. Bring him home to GA. 

If we get Trez, FVV, Beasley 2/3 I’m elated!

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

If we get Trez, FVV, Beasley 2/3 I’m elated!

🤔 How much are you paying each of them? 

Then go ahead and fill in the rest of the roster.

Trae Young, FVV,
Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, Beasley
DeAndre Hunter, 
John Collins, Trez
Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Bruno Fernando

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae Young, FVV,
DeAndre Hunter, 
John Collins, Trez

I wonder how you would divide up the minutes? Plus I have reservations about pairing Trez and Capela.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae Young, FVV,
DeAndre Hunter, 
John Collins, Trez

A vet behind Hunter but I don’t think we can afford all three, can we? I thought maybe either Trez/Beasley or FVV/Beasley, I don’t think we could even do Trez and FVV. I like all three of those guys though. 

Behind Hunter I would prolly like to get a Doug McDermott. We would need some shooter around outside of Trae/FVV/Huerter..maybe a couple more, at least one.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

A vet behind Hunter but I don’t think we can afford all three, can we? I thought maybe either Trez/Beasley or FVV/Beasley, I don’t think we could even do Trez and FVV. I like all three of those guys though. 

Behind Hunter I would prolly like to get a Doug McDermott. We would need some shooter around outside of Trae/FVV/Huerter..maybe a couple more, at least one.

Dont forget about Edwards,Wiseman,Lamelo,Deni,Hayes,Okungwu,Obi, or Okoro..Or whoever is in Schlenks top 8. lol

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Rumored early projections:

FVV - $20 mil per, Trez - $20 mil, Beasley - turned down $10 per from Denver, so he'd be looking for more, so $12-15ish.

So yeah, not all 3. I don't even think we get 2 of these.

I don't think Schlenk will burn all his 2020 Cap this offseason. He'll leave some flexibility for 2021.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Rumored early projections:

FVV - $20 mil per, Trez - $20 mil, Beasley - turned down $10 per from Denver, so he'd be looking for more, so $12-15ish.

So yeah, not all 3. I don't even think we get 2 of these.

I don't think Schlenk will burn all his 2020 Cap this offseason. He'll leave some flexibility for 2021.

My thoughts is he will spend up to 40 million. I think he would be willing to go two players as high as 35M total but one of those two would have to be filling at PG; or we luck into a very cheap BU PG Option. If he went two at 30, he could then still sign Teague or Dunn.

I am in agreement and do not think he will lock up over 40M of our 50M in cap. If there is another cap reduction, 40M may be all we have. Then things get a lot dicier.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

My thoughts is he will spend up to 40 million. I think he would be willing to go two players as high as 35M total but one of those two would have to be filling at PG; or we luck into a very cheap BU PG Option. If he went two at 30, he could then still sign Teague or Dunn.

I am in agreement and do not think he will lock up over 40M of our 50M in cap. If there is another cap reduction, 40M may be all we have. Then things get a lot dicier.

I think with the CV19, he'll be more judicious in his spending. We still have to account for our 1st round pick salary, anywhere between $7-10 million (picks 1-4). Also include incomplete roster charge for 5 players at $800k per player = $4 million. So that reduces the $50(renouncing all capholds)million capspace to $36 - $39 in true cap dollars to spend.

For a backup PG, I'd see if the Knicks would trade us Frank N ($6 mil) for a 2nd or 2.

Sign either Harris or Bertans for shooting off the bench - that's our 1 high dollar FA. ($10-$15)

Sign a player like Mo Harkless at backup SF. ($7-$9)

I still think there's a possibility we'll trade for an expiring contract for a pick, a player that can help though - not of the Chandler Parsons ilk - (Example: if Fournier ($17 mil) opts in, Orlando may look to trade him to clear salary) that's how we'll have adequate capspace for next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think with the CV19, he'll be more judicious in his spending. We still have to account for our 1st round pick salary, anywhere between $7-10 million (picks 1-4). Also include incomplete roster charge for 5 players at $800k per player = $4 million. So that reduces the $50(renouncing all capholds)million capspace to $36 - $39 in true cap dollars to spend.

For a backup PG, I'd see if the Knicks would trade us Frank N ($6 mil) for a 2nd or 2.

Sign either Harris or Bertans for shooting off the bench - that's our 1 high dollar FA. ($10-$15)

I still think there's a possibility we'll trade for an expiring contract for a pick, a player that can help though - not of the Chandler Parsons ilk - (Example: if Fournier ($17 mil) opts in, Orlando may look to trade him to clear salary) that's how we'll have adequate capspace for next season.

If the cap takes the rumored 20% hit, our options will be lessened. At least we will still be able to chase Bertans, Harris etc.. I am not banking on two shooters but in my perfect world we get two shooters. We still need a BU SF and PG in the worse way. I am holding out hope for Crowder or Grant.

Our draft pick is a wild card but immediate help from a rookie is a stretch. Trae and Huerter were exceptions to the rule and even they had a very rough first 30 games.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

If the cap takes the rumored 20% hit, our options will be lessened. At least we will still be able to chase Bertans, Harris etc.. I am not banking on two shooters but in my perfect world we get two shooters. We still need a BU SF and PG in the worse way. I am holding out hope for Crowder or Grant.

Our draft pick is a wild card but immediate help from a rookie is a stretch. Trae and Huerter were exceptions to the rule and even they had a very rough first 30 games.

The good thing is, if the cap falls, it will also affect all the other teams. So the Hawks will still be in the drivers seat in terms of dollars they can pay to players.

20% Reduction, WOW. That takes it to $92 Million.

A new max contract for Anthony Davis would now drop from $34.5 mil to $28.2 mil. His opt in for next season is $28.7. So would it be more prudent for him to opt in and extend this current contract? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The good thing is, if the cap falls, it will also affect all the other teams. So the Hawks will still be in the drivers seat in terms of dollars they can pay to players.

20% Reduction, WOW. That takes it to $92 Million.

A new max contract for Anthony Davis would now drop from $34.5 mil to $28.2 mil. His opt in for next season is $28.7. So would it be more prudent for him to opt in and extend this current contract? 

20% is what was mentioned but they are also talking about spreading that out over a few seasons so it is not as impactful. I still like our position and think any further reduction presses teams like the Wizards ( Bertans ) and Nets ( Harris ) even more.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

20% is what was mentioned but they are also talking about spreading that out over a few seasons so it is not as impactful. I still like our position and think any further reduction presses teams like the Wizards ( Bertans ) and Nets ( Harris ) even more.

I remember when the cap spiked and players didn't want to smooth it. Now it's the reverse. Interesting times.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So How many minutes will Trez play?  Dedmon will probably play fewer than 20 minutes per game if the team is healthy

25-27 minutes?

Unless Ded gets his touch back he may see reduced minutes. I actual hope it's Bruno's development that limits Dedmon's minutes (I can dream).😀

Can Bruno be a fulltime PF? @TheNorthCydeRises

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think you should count the roster charges.  That is still money we get to spend.  $800k for a roster charge comes off the books if you sign say Bertans for $15M so that money has now been included in the $15M you spent on Bertans.  The charges don't matter at all if we aren't looking to spend over the cap.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

25-27 minutes?

Unless Ded gets his touch back he may see reduced minutes. I actual hope it's Bruno's development that limits Dedmon's minutes (I can dream).😀

Can Bruno be a fulltime PF? @TheNorthCydeRises

There are a total of 96 minutes between the C/F positions

Collins 35 minutes

Caapella 30 minutes

Dedmon 20 minutes

for a total of 85 minutes...96-85= 11 minutes.  So where will the additional 15 minutes come from?

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think you should count the roster charges.  That is still money we get to spend.  $800k for a roster charge comes off the books if you sign say Bertans for $15M so that money has now been included in the $15M you spent on Bertans.  The charges don't matter at all if we aren't looking to spend over the cap.

I guess I misunderstood how the roster charge works.

I thought if we renounce all capholds we still need to add empty roster charges to get to 13 players BEFORE we calculate our free Capspace? I'll have to reread it.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I guess I misunderstood how the roster charge works.

I thought if we renounce all capholds we still need to add empty roster charges to get to 13 players BEFORE we calculate our free Capspace? I'll have to reread it.

As I understand it, you are correct but that doesn't limit your spending.

Example:

$10M in free space with 5 empty roster spots

$6M in free space

$800k cap charge for each spot = max offer to a single free agent of $6.8M ($800k roster charge + $6M in free space)

If we traded a player into the free cap space, that player could cost only $6M more than the player we traded them.  I.e., we trade $3M Player A for $9M Player B.  $6M in free space means we just maxed out that trade and couldn't have done a trade for a $10M player.

If we don't make a trade, we could sign players for:

$1M

$1.5M

$1.5M

$2M

$4M

Example 2:

$1M in free space with 1 empty spot 

$200k in free space

We can trade a player earning $2M for a one earning $2.2M.

We can sign a free agent for up to $1M.

Is that consistent with how you understand it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2