• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter vs Reddish

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

As I sift through many of the proposed wing trade/free agent signings scenarios, one primary assumption always rears its ugly head which is Reddish is better than Hunter and should start at small forward if a high priced guard is brought on board.  This notion kinda bothers me so I want to start a thread addressing this very issue.  I know Hunter is older and doesn't possess Reddish's guard skills but he does offer other advantages namely being bigger and stronger with a more mature game.  I know a lot of you will want to put up second half of the season offensive stats that might be in Reddish's favor to prove your point but I would still maintain that Hunter still is the more mature fundamentally sound player right now and most experts would agree outside of Atlanta.  I'm not saying that Hunter does have flaws in his game that he needs some work like his handle and off the ball defense but right now, he has fewer flaws in his game than Reddish. Bottom line is that I think that Hunter remains a better small forward option over Reddish and should receive more credit than he currently gets from fans of this team

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

On 5/2/2020 at 1:16 PM, sturt said:

You seem to have this perception that teams only have two wings, and everyone else gets the leftover minutes scraps.

That's not true.

As it is right now even, there are three wings on this Hawks team who get the major minutes... and that's pretty common across the league... as-is three post players, not just two.

2020-05-02_1359.png

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

2020-05-02_1359.png

How should I say this...Your starting 5 should be the strength of your team with each player having chemistry with the others which means that players are not interchangeable.  So you just don't play a bunch of guys randomly to win.  I'm not sure I can name 1 championship team with 4 different playing guys 20 or more minutes at a wing position.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Overall, Cam best position is SG. His game is very finesse and I like when he can use that size and length advantage.

Without a doubt...I've said this from day 1.  I probably don't agree with you regarding Hunter being best at the 4 but it will be a good debate

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

4 different playing guys 20 or more minutes at a wing position.

2020-05-02_1359.png&key=59ee4ac8142dd8d7

14 minutes ago, sturt said:

As it is right now even, there are 3 wings on this Hawks team who get the major minutes... and that's pretty common across the league... as-is three post players, not just two.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter to me is best at a 4 depending on the matchup but long term, he could play nearly anywhere. You gotta have guys.like him if you want to win a lot of games.

So that I can get a better understanding of how you view Hunter...Which player comp would you use with Hunter?

• Moderators

Hunter will be a great guy to have next to an all star 2.  Hopefully that's Cam.  To my untrained eye, Hunter doesn't have the explosiveness (or maybe he's just hesitant right now?) to be a big time scorer but hopefully he is 3&D++.  

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So that I can get a better understanding of how you view Hunter...Which player comp would you use with Hunter?

Potentially: Disciplined and organized Artest with a laid back and calm demeanor. Not that physically or size but more skilled potentially with more length to boot.

His versatility is his greatest strength.

It's not exact but that's kinda what I think about impact wise. He's a player you need to have to win games 

I think he is more valuable to winning than even Trae is down the road.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Without a doubt...I've said this from day 1.  I probably don't agree with you regarding Hunter being best at the 4 but it will be a good debate

For now he is. Long term, I think he will be interchangeable down the road

You mention Hunter is bigger. Cam is actually taller, and they both have essentially the same wingspan and weight.

• Like 3

Just now, hazer said:

You mention Hunter is bigger. Cam is actually taller, and they both have essentially the same wingspan and weight.

Hunter wingspan is 7'2 to Cam best which was 7'1.

Cam grew an inch so we are looking at 6'9 to 6'8 but Atlanta said both are 6'9. 

Hunter is much bigger. He's 230 to Cams 210. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter wingspan is 7'2 to Cam best which was 7'1.

Cam grew an inch so we are looking at 6'9 to 6'8 but Atlanta said both are 6'9. 

Hunter is much bigger. He's 230 to Cams 210. 

Cam is 6'8, Dre is 6'7. Their wingspan is within 1" of each other. Cam weighs 218, Dre 225. Hunter is by no means "much bigger."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On defense, Hunter I is see as patient and solid, and does a good job staying in front of his guy, not a gambler, plays positional defense. Cam is more quick twitch in anticipation to see plays develop. More of a gambler for steals and deflections with quick hands. Has great hips for turning, Hunter is a little stiff and wooden in the hips.

This. We got a couple beasts in the making for sure. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

So the question is do posters think there is a difference between playing the 2 or the 3 or is it seen as position requiring the same skill set? TheI reason I raise this issue is because I saw a poster comparing the 2 in 3 years.  Will Reddish be a better 3 than Hunter?  The analogy is determining Young is a better player than Hunter but not a better 3.