• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hunter vs Reddish

Peoriabird

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So the question is do posters think there is a difference between playing the 2 or the 3 or is it seen as position requiring the same skill set? TheI reason I raise this issue is because I saw a poster comparing the 2 in 3 years.  Will Reddish be a better 3 than Hunter?  The analogy is determining Young is a better player than Hunter but not a better 3.

Interchangeable pieces is what Schlenk is aiming for here.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Interchangeable pieces is what Schlenk is aiming for here.

Not really focused on Schlenk's world because he hasn't won anything but rather what winning organizations and coaches think the skill requirements are at each of the 2 positions

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I like Hunters ability to body up and not let a player bully him down to the post. I like Cam's ability to square up and take his man out past the top of key. In this regard I think Cam is the better defensive 2 taking on quicker twitchier players and Hunter is the better defensive 3 taking on stronger bigger players..

They can switch and be seamless but right now I see these as two of their strengths and differences.

So you agree with me that the 2 and 3 require totally different skill sets and that Hunter is a better 3 than Cam.👍

8 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So you agree with me that the 2 and 3 require totally different skill sets and that Hunter is a better 3 than Cam.👍

I have always liked Cam better at the 2; and Hunter better at the 3. I have never wavered on that. LP wavers minute by minute during the course of a game though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

LP waivers minute by minute during the course of a game though.

Its all a part of a bigger masterfully crafted plan if you let the LP defenders tell it! LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think Cam is going to be a better overall player and will have the size to play the 3 so he would make the better 3 when they are both mature if you could only have one of them.  Cam came in muuuch more raw than Hunter and left the season as the bigger impact player.  I see Cam as someone who can play either the 2 or the 3 but better optimized at the 2 and Hunter as someone who can play minutes at the 2-4 positions but best optimized at the 3.

Both can take large leaps this year as Hunter was dealing with a new position (the 3) and Cam was getting over health issues that tanked his year in Raleigh and left him a ways away from being able to play his 'normal' game.  The good news for us is that we get to have both and having them at the 2/3 together makes perfect sense with their skills.  

I am hoping that Hunter doesn't just see linear growth this year but that he demonstrates a larger leap as his comfort level increases but I am expecting more incremental growth than big leaps.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think Cam is going to be a better overall player and will have the size to play the 3 so he would make the better 3 when they are both mature if you could only have one of them.  Cam came in muuuch more raw than Hunter and left the season as the bigger impact player.

Lets examine this a little closer.  Certainly Cam is younger and 1 year less than Hunter but Hunter is coming from a completely different type of system which was engraved in him for 2 years whereas Reddish came from a more up tempo system similar to what the Hawks do now. Coming to the Hawks was a big adjustment both.  Both players improved over the course to the season.  Reddish didn't know how to fit in therefore his other skills suffered while Hunter was a power forward in college and was never asked to handle the ball.

The claim that Cam was more impactful can be debated.  Cam shot the ball better and had more impactful steals but Hunter shot the ball better also and increased his rebounding to 8 rpg.  Also it is difficult to claim that Reddish was more impactful because he could not even unseat Kevin Huerter in the starting line up nor was he playing more minutes. 

I just think that they are 2 completely different players and are not interchangeable on a winning team.  One plays one position better and the other plays the other position better.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, AHF said:

Like I said, I'm not too worried about the academic, white board comparisons here because I'm looking at Cam playing most of his minutes at the 2 and Hunter playing most of his minutes at the 3 this coming season.

source.gif

If we consider the season we could say Hunter did a little better than Reddish, both were bad, you can expect that from a rookie. Considering last months of the season I think Reddish finished better and showed more potential. I think Reddish was better in defense and Hunter was better on offense although Cam was showing real consistency at the end of the season and was even better offensively on some games.

Looking at the future I consider Reddish a SG and Hunter a SF and if Reddish can show continuously what he showed on February and March he will be better either on offense and defense. In my opinion Reddish defense was a big surprise and Hunter’s defense was a bit of a disappointment. I think both can and will improve next year but right now I can see Cam becoming a better overall player than Hunter, honestly I expected more consistency from him on his first year, specially on defense.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Actually Schlenk won with the scrubs. 

As a GM plus I don't really thinks he see it that way anyway since Reddish plays the majority of his minutes at the 2 while Hunter almost never plays at the 2.

I’d much rather have Hunter shooting corner threes and slashing than setting screens (he’s willing but not very good) and defending paint attempts from beefier dudes.  At the 2 Cam has more of a defensive shut down and natural foul drawing potential.  

I’d love to see them grow together at the 2-3.  When 2 wings improve together and have great chemistry the combo is just awesome to watch (PG and Lance, Jordan and Pip). When Hunt and Cam can go toe to toe with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum they’ll have arrived.  Like Supes said tho not sure if Hunter’s makeup is like that.

• Like 3