• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Rowland and his cronies ( Seigel)

Agreed I listened to a few podcast a couple years ago during the summer when Trae was a rookie. He was off on a ton of elementary things regarding a player’s position based on measurements alone. I never listened to Braaaaaaaaaaad again. I did find out that he’s a golfing 🏌️♀️ enthusiast. Fun facts. 😃 

His cronies 😂 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Atlanta sports coverage is just bad.  I remember when Rowland and his cronies ( Seigel) were questioning whether other not John was a starter.  Then Rowland thought he was a center who couldn't shoot.  Then they started on Young.  The funny part is that they loved some of the bums like Muscala and Malcolm Delaney.  Continued to insist throughout the 2018/19 season that Bazemore was the best player on the team Trae's rookie season etc.

I remember those times.  They loved Delaney and Moose.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Hunter as backup PF ?  That would be really bad value out of that pick.  

Agreed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

That makes their open talk about the playoffs sound ... well, I guess that depends on your perspective.

Delusional? Presumptuous? Confident? Cocky?

“It’s just a mindset,” Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce said. “We would like to make a huge jump in wins, and we have to have the mindset of what it takes to win. I think we have a very promising young core. I’m excited about adding Clint (Capela) to that mix, and I’m excited about what we are capable of doing in free agency. 

“But we have to have the mindset, and we have to get to the point where our guys are ready to make the next step.” 

But the Hawks need dramatic improvement from at least one of their wing players to make a serious bid for the playoffs next season. Four Hawks players logged at least 500 minutes at shooting guard and small forward: Kevin Huerter, Cam Reddish, De’Andre Hunter and DeAndre’ Bembry. None of those players was even average, which didn’t happen with any other Hawks position group. 

Huerter, Reddish and Hunter will be back. They are young players with the potential to get better. Playoff teams get at least competent play from their wing players. The Hawks’ wings need significant work to become great at any one thing or good at a few. 

I expected more from Huerter in his second NBA season. He’s a good, not great, 3-point shooter: 59 NBA players who played qualifying minutes did better than his 38 percent accuracy. Huerter too often hesitated to shoot when he had space. He was very good at using his size to create open shots near the free-throw line, but just OK at converting them. 

I wasn’t a fan of the Hawks surrendering draft pick Nos. 8, 17, and 35 to get Hunter at No. 4. I liked the move a little better once Hunter showed more ability to score off the dribble than I expected. But Hunter was drafted largely on his defensive potential, and he was disappointing at that end even when judged on the rookie curve. 

Among the three young Hawks wings, Reddish has the best chance to become a good, all-around player. I thought the Hawks were fortunate he fell to them at the No. 10 pick last year after one lackluster season at Duke. Reddish immediately showed his tremendous defensive potential with good rates for blocks, steals and deflections. 

But Reddish struggled at the other end, especially early in the season. His 3-point shooting was awful. That was a problem because Reddish isn’t the kind of explosive leaper who can score over length at the rim. There were lots of awkward, hesitant drives leading to nothing. 

Reddish became a better scorer later in the season. He said he had to overcome a mental hurdle after he had surgery for a core muscle injury in May 2019. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I need a lot more data than this. Touches,  minutes, FG%, efficiency and 7 games isn't much of a sample size either.

I agree it is a limited sample size but that cuts both ways.  There is not a significant sample of JC performing without Trae period.  What is there, suggests he is pretty close to what he does with Trae. 

I hope we never get a significant sample size because Trae ends up an iron man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree it is a limited sample size but that cuts both ways.  There is not a significant sample of JC performing without Trae period.  What is there, suggests he is pretty close to what he does with Trae. 

I hope we never get a significant sample size because Trae ends up an iron man.

Bad game but we won without Trae - https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201912300ORL.html

Great stats,  lost by 35 points. His defense was horrific this game but so was everyone else 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201912280CHI.html

Bad stats and got whooped

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201910310ATL.html

Career game for John, sensational game, beat the Clippers

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202001220ATL.html

Bad game and whooped

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202001120BRK.html

Great stats, low impact game

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202002070BOS.html

Very good game, very good impact

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202003060WAS.html

Without Trae, John defense has been better but offense is hit or miss without Trae. John is a consistent offensive player so that does have a lot of value.

What is your “perfect” (yet still realistic) roster for the Hawks next year?

C Clint Capela, Dewayne Dedmon, Bruno Fernando

PF: John Collins, De’Andre Hunter, Skal Labissiere

SF: Cam Reddish, Joe Harris

SG: Kevin Huerter, De’Anthony Melton, Anthony Edwards 

PG: Trae Young, Kris Dunn, Brandon Goodwin

I could live with this. Ant & Dunn? Yes please. Joe Harris to boot? Ok, sure, why not?

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His roster is ass. I don't want to Cam ever at the 3. He's really not that good at the 3. His offensive game is Lou Williams like, 3pt/FAr/PPT based. Hunter will fit perfectly at the 3 next year. 

Yeah.  Cam should be starting at the 2 next season.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

His roster is ass. I don't want to Cam ever at the 3. He's really not that good at the 3. His offensive game is Lou Williams like, 3pt/FAr/PPT based. Hunter will fit perfectly at the 3 next year. 

Plus Joe Harris playing the 3???  These guys suck!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What if we draft Edwards? Edwards can't play the 3 either.

14 hours ago, bleachkit said:

What if we draft Edwards? Edwards can't play the 3 either.

Edwards is 6' 5" and 230 lbs with 6'9 - 6' 10 wingpsan.  He can play the three in today's NBA on most nights.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Edwards is 6' 5" and 230 lbs with 6'9 - 6' 10 wingpsan.  He can play the three in today's NBA on most nights.

I’m starting to fall in love with him. He plays like a mini Durant but he seems tough unlike 🧁 same smoothness.

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m starting to fall in love with him. He plays like a mini Durant but he seems tough unlike 🧁 same smoothness.

To me, he's numero uno.  At the beginning it was a toss up between him and Ball.  Edwards fits much better than Ball on the Hawks roster.  I just hope the Hawks can somehow luck into Edwards.  I'd be one happy camper.

• Like 2