• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I wonder if there are any trades we can make. Probably not. Lonzo would be nice, solid defensive point guard and a good passer. Dont think we have anything they want that we would be willing to part with though. 2nds or expirings arent going to get it done.

I'm on the Lonzo train too. He'd be a great backup to Trae. 

I also like to say I rightly said LaMelo would be a pretty good player and would fit good next to Trae. 

I was also wrong about Haliburton.  Didn't think he'd take off so quickly.  Was also wrong on Hayes.  Although, he is injured so the jury is still out. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I wonder if there are any trades we can make. Probably not. Lonzo would be nice, solid defensive point guard and a good passer. Dont think we have anything they want that we would be willing to part with though. 2nds or expirings arent going to get it done.

Snell OR Rondo for salary matching and probably the OKC 2022 1st (lottery protected for 1 year then 2 2nds).  The difficulty though is he is also a RFA next offseason like JC, I doubt the Hawks want 2 RFAs needing contracts.

With Bogi and now Hunter out, Snell is needed on the wing though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I'm on the Lonzo train too. He'd be a great backup to Trae. 

I also like to say I rightly said LaMelo would be a pretty good player and would fit good next to Trae. 

I was also wrong about Haliburton.  Didn't think he'd take off so quickly.  Was also wrong on Hayes.  Although, he is injured so the jury is still out. 

Lonzo is only 23, would be under contract next year on a 14 million dollar qualifying offer. So it would be more than a rental. Griffin is a tough negotiator though.

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Lonzo is only 23, would be under contract next year on a 14 million dollar qualifying offer. So it would be more than a rental. Griffin is a tough negotiator though.

He may be a tough negotiator, but he surely didn't use his assets well. Schlenk got De'Andre Hunter for Jason Hayes and fodder. 

Albeit, Hunter is injured right now, he's shown so much growth from last year and those other players selected have not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Snell OR Rondo for salary matching and probably the OKC 2022 1st (lottery protected for 1 year then 2 2nds).  The difficulty though is he is also a RFA next offseason like JC, I doubt the Hawks want 2 RFAs needing contracts.

With Bogi and now Hunter out, Snell is needed on the wing though.

According to Spotrac he has a 14 million dollar qualifying this coming season and would be a RFA in summer of 2022

2 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

According to Spotrac he has a 14 million dollar qualifying this coming season and would be a RFA in summer of 2022

Lonzo was the #2 pick in John's draft (2017 - 2018).  They both are RFA this summer. 

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Nope restricted this coming offseason, same as JC.  He can accept his QO and become a full FA in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I think its time to lower our expectations for this season.  I don't think there will be anymore trades in the cards for this team going forward therefore we have to look at the roster as is to determine whether this team will be competitive over the next 20 games without Hunter.  The thing that is most disappointing this season sis that even with all 5 starters healthy, the team struggled to get quality wins and would suffer through ugly losses.  The up coming schedule will not be full of bad Eastern conference teams so it will be difficult for the Hawks to even maintain a .500 wining percentage over the next 20 or so games therefore i am prepared to predict that this team will finish no higher than 8th and is in danger of missing the playoffs all together.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think its time to lower our expectations for this season.  I don't think there will be anymore trades in the cards for this team going forward therefore we have to look at the roster as is to determine whether this team will be competitive over the next 20 games without Hunter.  The thing that is most disappointing this season sis that even with all 5 starters healthy, the team struggled to get quality wins and would suffer through ugly losses.  The up coming schedule will not be full of bad Eastern conference teams so it will be difficult for the Hawks to even maintain a .500 wining percentage over the next 20 or so games therefore i am prepared to predict that this team will finish no higher than 8th and is in danger of missing the playoffs all together.

It's definitely going to be tough.   Assuming the healthy stay healthy and the injured stay out then we're looking at a rotation of 

Trae/Rondo

Heurter/Snell

Cam/Solo

JC/Gallo

Capela/OO

The glass half full is that this rotation is vastly superior than what we had end of last season even with Hunter out.   So I think .500 is definitely doable.  Hoping for better. 

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's definitely going to be tough.   Assuming the healthy stay healthy and the injured stay out then we're looking at a rotation of 

Trae/Rondo

Heurter/Snell

Cam/Solo

JC/Gallo

Capela/OO

The glass half full is that this rotation is vastly superior than what we had end of last season even with Hunter out.   So I think .500 is definitely doable.  Hoping for better. 

I kinda lost hope after that Dallas loss!

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I kinda lost hope after that Dallas loss!

Toronto is better than Dallas.   We laid an egg against Dallas for sure.  It will be interesting to see how we fare wednesday but lost the first on by 6 with Rondo, Reddish, Gallo, Solo going 5-25 from the field.   If they aren't criminally bad in that game then we probably win.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Toronto is better than Dallas.   We laid an egg against Dallas for sure.  It will be interesting to see how we fare wednesday but lost the first on by 6 with Rondo, Reddish, Gallo, Solo going 5-25 from the field.   If they aren't criminally bad in that game then we probably win.  

We say the same things after every bad loss.  Maybe this is who they are!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

We say the same things after every bad loss.  Maybe this is who they are!

Inconsistent?  Yeah that's absolutely who they are but that doesn't mean they won't progress.  I mean we are significantly better than last year.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Why do you only focus on the bad losses like they don't have good wins? Toronto was a VERY good win.

Isn't Toronto under .500 and was  playing the 2nd game of a back to back on the road?  How is that a quality win?

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Isn't Toronto under .500 and was  playing the 2nd game of a back to back?  How is that a quality win?

Yes, but Toronto is like 8-4 in their last 12 games and do you think Toronto is going to be the 10th seed in the East or once the season plays out they will be much better. I'm pretty sure they're going to be in the 4 -8 range when it's all said and done at the end of the season. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Inconsistent?  Yeah that's absolutely who they are but that doesn't mean they won't progress.  I mean we are significantly better than last year.  

This^^^.  We've had inconsistency with the young players, inconsistency with who is avaialble vs who isn't, guys a=on minutes restrictions, it just makes for a very uneven season.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, marco102 said:

Yes, but Toronto is like 8-4 in their last 12 games and do you think Toronto is going to be the 10th seed in the East or once the season plays out they will be much better. I'm pretty sure they're going to be in the 4 -8 range when it's all said and done at the end of the season. 

So when the Hawks are playing Cleveland on a back to back, its a schedule loss but when the Hawks play someone at home on a back to back, its a great win?