• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's going on with Bruno?

Wurider05

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

We generally agree but you can't simply ignore the offensive end.  He's basically a walking turnover on offense.  Just as we can't simply out-shoot teams in 'winning time', we also can't be giving away possessions.

Agree we need defensive balance but playing 4-on-5 on offensive isn't worth the marginal pop we'd get defensively by playing Bruno.

I agree with this.   Plus, despite what the defensive rating says, Bruno hasn't looked great on D either.  

But my question for you bandwagon pilots is who should be getting the minutes?  OO or Bruno.   And don't say both.   In my opinion OO looks to be the better investment.   

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with this.   Plus, despite what the defensive rating says, Bruno hasn't looked great on D either.  

But my question for you bandwagon pilots is who should be getting the minutes?  OO or Bruno.   And don't say both.   In my opinion OO looks to be the better investment.   

It should definitely be both.  You don't want to be caught in a situation in which ( God forbid ), we lose Capela for a couple of weeks, and neither guy has gotten a chance to be in the regular rotation.

In a playoff scenario in which we may have to throw bodies at Embiid, Vucevic ( who flat out ate up Collins and Gallinari the other night ), or Myles Turner ), you don't want a defensive mismatch out on the floor if you're asking Collins and Caplea to slow down those guys.  You would rather waste energy ( and fouls ), on your reserve big men.

You play Bruno against big guys like Embiid, that go in the post or stay outside.  Bruno has show to play good man defense on centers.  You play Okongwu against the more mobile type centers that don't like to post up.  Or you simply alternate games in which they play.  That way, both guys will know that they're the first center to come off the bench. If you need the other one, play him.  But get both ready.

Just keep Collins and Gallo out of that center spot at all costs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It should definitely be both.  You don't want to be caught in a situation in which ( God forbid ), we lose Capela for a couple of weeks, and neither guy has gotten a chance to be in the regular rotation.

In a playoff scenario in which we may have to throw bodies at Embiid, Vucevic ( who flat out ate up Collins and Gallinari the other night ), or Myles Turner ), you don't want a defensive mismatch out on the floor if you're asking Collins and Caplea Gallinari to slow down those guys.  You would rather waste energy ( and fouls ), on your reserve big men.

You play Bruno against big guys like Embiid, that go in the post or stay outside.  Bruno has show to play good man defense on centers.  You play Okongwu against the more mobile type centers that don't like to post up.  Or you simply alternate games in which they play.  That way, both guys will know that they're the first center to come off the bench. If you need the other one, play him.  But get both ready.

Just keep Collins and Gallo out of that center spot at all costs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

In a situation where you already don't have enough bigs on the roster, and where you actually are anticipating getting back three players who are starters (DAH, Cam) or a rotation piece (Dunn)--and thus you're not likely to be playing the end of the bench anyow--it makes little sense to dispatch any one of your developmental bigs, none of whom even have 82 games under their belt, except under the premise that he's valued by some other team to some appreciable degree.

So, repeating myself... sorry, but it happens... I'm appalled, really, to read these posts where impatient people are so willing to give-up on Bruno already. It's not a lot different than being willing to give up on OO so early, when you consider both the expectation level coming in the door and the amount of legitimate development time the player has had. No one at age 21 anticipates losing the light of his life, his mom. That rocks one's world in big ways even at age 41, or even 61.

Let me try it in cold, economic terms... letting go of Bruno is as compelling and has as much upside as letting go of some stock you have in an artificial intelligence tech company that accounts for a very thin slice of your technology holdings in your investment portfolio. You could use some more tech stocks as-is.

You sell now? You've sold low on stock that didn't cost you a lot in the first place and that, still, remains plausible could prove significantly more valuable than what you paid. The fundamentals of what made the stock attractive in the first place remain, but there are some external variables that have heavily complicated the company's capacity to grow.

Just doesn't make sense.

Patience.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

(Hope Kirschner will allow that a year-old story can get a reprint here... I've not always liked the guy that much, but in terms of doing his job, he's among the best we've had covering the Hawks, imo... )

LWR_Recording.png

LWR_Recording.png

LWR_Recording.png

LWR_Recording.png

LWR_Recording.png

LWR_Recording.png

• Sad 1