• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's going on with Bruno?

Wurider05

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He simply needs to be developed.  Like I said, once he gets away from Atlanta, and possibly gets some legit playing time, he'll be more than a serviceable big in this league.

😂 riiiiight. Man, some of y’all just want to be right. North is gonna ride with Bruno and kg with Lloyd Pierce. 

I’ll ride with the guy I said we’d draft and we did, Okongwu. 😊 Getting tired of being right all the time though I’ll tell ya.

• Premium Member

This was a response from the guys at PeachtreeHoops regarding what the the Hawks need at the deadline and why Bruno isn't the answer and struggling:

Bruno Fernando just isn’t a fit, right now, for what they need at center. The integration of Capela and Danilo Gallinari this year have shifted how the Hawks deploy their big men offensively. The center needs to be able to rim run, dive in the pick and roll and do damage on the offensive glass. The power forward needs to be able to shoot and, at times, help create.

As such, Atlanta has divested themselves of the heavy dose of “pistol” action we saw last season and this is where Fernando’s skill set best fit. He’s a good screener in the pick and roll but not a reliable lob threat. He has excellent speed to put to use as a rim runner but is a poor finisher at the rim.

A modest addition along the lines of a JaVale McGee or Nerlens Noel could help create some offensive continuity on the second unit and should provide a more stable defensive presence than Okongwu in his current rookie form.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 1/25/2021 at 10:27 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Doghouse??? He just hasn't been good.

I had high hopes for Bruno to start the season figuring he would have the opportunity to cement himself as the backup while OO was out. 

Unfortunately, he hasn't done one memorable thing all season (and no, being a great screen setter isn't it North 😄). He doesn't have a presence when playing. Both Knight and OO came in and you felt and saw it. 

All I'm asking is for him to do something In whatever minutes he gets to make it difficult for LP to keep him off the court.

This. Bruno is not spectacular at anything. He gives effort and works hard, but is not outstanding.  OO has better upside.

• Premium Member
On 3/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, sturt said:

People are to be excused for having fallen off any previous Bruno bandwagon that existed.

In the 31 games played so far in 2021, the 22 yr-old pride of Angola has gotten a single game of 20 minutes, four other games in double-digit minutes, ten games in single digit minutes, and... eighteen DNPs.

LWR_Recording.png

Me?

I'm here in the driver's seat on said bandwagon. The young man simply has been started-and-stopped over-and-over again in his truncated rookie season, and now in what I regard as a bonus addition to his rookie season... but still his rookie season.

Not giving up on him. And to the contrary, hoping that the new head coach perhaps has a plan for continuing to develop him, even though he most certainly will not occupy any key role in driving the team's 2020-21 success. Not giving up on those drafted ahead of him... not giving up, for that matter on any of this season's new additions, either.

Too early to make any final decisions about any of them. This time next year, perhaps. But to use Schlenk's phrase, can't skip any steps here. Keep developing these assets. We never were anticipating getting to anything more than the playoffs this season anyhow. We have time. Leave Bruno alone. Don't be prematurely dispatching him in any trade scenarios.

So says the driver of the Bruno bandwagon. 

2021-03-06_18-27-26.png

• Moderators

I walked up to the bandwagon last year but decided not to get on.   Haven't had a reason to reconsider.   We played three bigs in front of Bruno last year and they are all out of the league now.....wait, i stand corrected, the worst of the 3 is going to win a ring with the Lakers.   

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

😂 riiiiight. Man, some of y’all just want to be right. North is gonna ride with Bruno and kg with Lloyd Pierce

I’ll ride with the guy I said we’d draft and we did, Okongwu. 😊 Getting tired of being right all the time though I’ll tell ya.

Huh?  Keep tossin' this out and I'll remind folks how big you are on Semi(pro) Ojeleye. 😎

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was a response from the guys at PeachtreeHoops regarding what the the Hawks need at the deadline and why Bruno isn't the answer and struggling:

That response is exactly why the Hawks are under .500

Our PG is a top 10 offensive player in the league

Our wings are known for their shooting ( or threat of shooting )

Collins can shoot.  Gallo can shoot.

Everybody's shootin

Pentagon Shine Shoot Dance GIF by Russelbutt | Gfycat

So who's playing defense?

Capela can.   Cam can.   De'Andre can.   Anybody else?

The Collins - Gallo frontline, on most nights, is an absolute failure on the defensive end.  If they're not making shots, that's an instant run for our opponent.

This is why it's so important for our team to stay balanced. 

If we're not going to at least try to play our defensive and rebounding bigs, that means Capela has to do all of the dirty work.  People want every player on the floor to be a 3 point threat, when in actuality, we need more people who can defend 3 point shots and rebound.

It's backwards thinking, and not understanding why we lose games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we're not going to at least try to play our defensive and rebounding bigs, that means Capela has to do all of the dirty work.  People want every player on the floor to be a 3 point threat, when in actuality, we need more people who can defend 3 point shots and rebound.

Agree with all this.  I just don't see where the bolded applies to Bruno(t).  I know he should be that.  I'm just not sure he is that.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Everybody's shootin

The Collins - Gallo frontline, on most nights, is an absolute failure on the defensive end.  If they're not making shots, that's an instant run for our opponent.

I gave you a like for the dance gif 😄.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Huh?  Keep tossin' this out and I'll remind folks how big you are on Semi(pro) Ojeleye. 😎

But you didn’t have Precious Achuiwa and now your BIL is riding off into the sunset with that scrappy versatile forward. 

I guess I should have left your input out of my series of mock drafts and included him. Again my fault for trusting your college basketball outlook. I should have known better. Fool me twice shame on me. 😉 

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Agree with all this.  I just don't see where the bolded applies to Bruno(t).  I know he should be that.  I'm just not sure he is that.

It's because you only believe what your eyes tell you about Bruno's offensive mistakes.  He makes mistakes on offense, so he must be a bum and have no value to the team.

Meanwhile . . .

Basketball-Reference Defensive Ratings of our "bigs"

• Capela - 106
  • Okongwu - 110
  • Fernando - 111
  • Knight - 112
  • Collins - 114
  • Gallinari - 114
  • Hill - 115  . . . ( we play him as a big, so Ima call him a big )

What do we need most out of Bruno and Okongwu?  To be an offensive threat?  Or to be a defensive deterrent? 

Bruno's hands, specifically his turnovers, are the biggest thing working against him.  Well the easy answer to that is to limit passing the ball to him in traffic.  He doesn't have to shoot or even have lobs thrown for him ( which are vastly overrated in this offense ).

What guys like he and Okongu need to do, is play solid defense, rebound the ball well, and set good screens for our real scorers.

Here's a fact.  If we get into the playoffs, we're going to need our reserve bigs, probably both of them, to keep the Hawks balanced defensively.  If we try to outshoot people, we're going to lose, and lose big in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Everybody's shootin

Are you related to Bruno? You can do a 10 page write up on dude, stone hands 🙌 McGee(not Javale that would be disrespectful to Javale). I’d change your avatar sooner than later.

In the wise words of Tony Montana:

Bruno (Frank) ain’t gonna last mang. He finished ✔️ 

We cleaned 🧼 house with Lloyd as a head, now it’s time to clean up the roster and attach Bruno to any deal we can even if it’s a 2024 2nd round pick. 

He’s far from being good. Ian Mahinmi is still mad 😡 at me for the comparison to Bruno 3 years ago. My apologies Ian.

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

What do we need most out of Bruno and Okongwu?

Please don’t use these two in the same sentence.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno's hands,

If only basketball were played with no hands. 🤦 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The kids were all doing that "Shoot" dance all of 2019.   When the adults started to do it, they made it un-cool.

Lol, yeah - I was one trying to do the dance, my daughter gave me the look, so I went to my corner. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's because you only believe what your eyes tell you about Bruno's offensive mistakes.  He makes mistakes on offense, so he must be a bum and have no value to the team.

Meanwhile . . .

Basketball-Reference Defensive Ratings of our "bigs"

• Capela - 106
  • Okongwu - 110
  • Fernando - 111
  • Knight - 112
  • Collins - 114
  • Gallinari - 114
  • Hill - 115  . . . ( we play him as a big, so Ima call him a big )

What do we need most out of Bruno and Okongwu?  To be an offensive threat?  Or to be a defensive deterrent? 

Bruno's hands, specifically his turnovers, are the biggest thing working against him.  Well the easy answer to that is to limit passing the ball to him in traffic.  He doesn't have to shoot or even have lobs thrown for him ( which are vastly overrated in this offense ).

What guys like he and Okongu need to do, is play solid defense, rebound the ball well, and set good screens for our real scorers.

Here's a fact.  If we get into the playoffs, we're going to need our reserve bigs, probably both of them, to keep the Hawks balanced defensively.  If we try to outshoot people, we're going to lose, and lose big in the playoffs.

We generally agree but you can't simply ignore the offensive end.  He's basically a walking turnover on offense.  Just as we can't simply out-shoot teams in 'winning time', we also can't be giving away possessions.

Agree we need defensive balance but playing 4-on-5 on offensive isn't worth the marginal pop we'd get defensively by playing Bruno.