• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BSPN

TRW

It's becoming harder to watch sports in today's world. I just heard BSPN TV analyst Mark Jones make the statement "Oh, he didn't hit him that hard." Then afterwards, Van Gundy, the other analyst made the statement "you just can call that a foul at this time in the game." What kind of Bull Crap is that. I was taught that a foul is a foul no matter what time or place. If the roles were changed, I bet the great Luka gets that call. Trae got his nose busted. It's just not right. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRW said:

It's becoming harder to watch sports in today's world. I just heard BSPN TV analyst Mark Jones make the statement "Oh, he didn't hit him that hard." Then afterwards, Van Gundy, the other analyst made the statement "you just can call that a foul at this time in the game." What kind of Bull Crap is that. I was taught that a foul is a foul no matter what time or place. If the roles were changed, I bet the great Luka gets that call. Trae got his nose busted. It's just not right. 

Actually they are right. Refs aren't calling to call a foul on a screen on the last play of the game. JVG's analysis, insight and wit is light years ahead of Dominique's. I found it quite refreshing. 

8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Trae really isn't liked. If that was Steph. That would not be what they are saying

If it was Curry, it would've been how smart a play it was, how gritty he was to stick his nose in there and draw the foul, his Stockton used to do the same, how tough he is, on and on and on.

How "despite his size" he sacrificed to make a winning play, the refs gotta officiate the game in the 4th just as they would in the 1st - van gundy ALWAYS says this but not last night for some reason ... no, no for one reason - Trae disrespect. 

For Trae, they just make fun of him for complaining and "bwah, thas notta foul" and he didn't get touched just like all his other fouls(sic), blah, blah, blah

• Like 4

6 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

I dvr every Hawks game and that was a defensive foul. He extended his arm and then proceeded to run over Trae.

When do they ever call a foul on a screen on the last play of the game? Maybe it was a foul by the letter of the law, but they never call them in those situations.

1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

When do they ever call a foul on a screen on the last play of the game? Maybe it was a foul by the letter of the law, but they never call them in those situations.

Often if it's a foul which this was but people hate Trae that everything is a bait when it's not. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, bleachkit said:

Yep.  That is as predictable a no call as they come.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Yep.  That is as predictable a no call as they come.

Are you joking?   Bibby has him in a bear hug impeding his movement.  Plus you cited a game that we know the refs were in on a fix for the Lakers.   But this isn't the same play.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Are you joking?   Bibby has him in a bear hug impeding his movement.  Plus you cited a game that we know the refs were in on a fix for the Lakers.   But this isn't the same play.

You just made my point for me.  Bibby wasn't called for a foul for bear hugging.  Kobe wasn't called for a foul for throwing an elbow to the face.  Once the ball is in Kobe's hands, a brush on his arm draws the foul.

I'm not kidding at all.  You could pull up a thousand clips like this if you had the data base.  Refs routinely swallow their whistles with grabbing and off-ball illegal screens and hitting of the people setting the screens, etc.  It is totally predictable.

You have to live in a dream world to expect to get that call consistently.  It is exceptional for the refs to make that call.

Which isn't to say that it isn't a foul.  It isn't to say it shouldn't be called a foul.  But as a coach, you should expect the whistle to be swallowed. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

You just made my point for me.  Bibby wasn't called for a foul for bear hugging.  Kobe wasn't called for a foul for throwing an elbow to the face.  Once the ball is in Kobe's hands, a brush on his arm draws the foul.

I'm not kidding at all.  You could pull up a thousand clips like this if you had the data base.  Refs routinely swallow their whistles with grabbing and off-ball illegal screens and hitting of the people setting the screens, etc.  It is totally predictable.

You have to live in a dream world to expect to get that call consistently.  It is exceptional for the refs to make that call.

Which isn't to say that it isn't a foul.  It isn't to say it shouldn't be called a foul.  But as a coach, you should expect the whistle to be swallowed. 

It's not like the play was drawn up to get that foul so not sure what you mean 'as a coach'.   It doesn't really matter how many times it is or isn't called.   If i'm pushed down on the last play then i'm sure as hell going to argue about it.   If it's such a no brainer no call then why aren't we pushing guys down on every last play?  

I get that it's not unusual to not call that but doesn't make it right?   The bibby/kobe thing is a no call for a variety of reasons.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's not like the play was drawn up to get that foul so not sure what you mean 'as a coach'.   It doesn't really matter how many times it is or isn't called.   If i'm pushed down on the last play then i'm sure as hell going to argue about it.   If it's such a no brainer no call then why aren't we pushing guys down on every last play?  

I get that it's not unusual to not call that but doesn't make it right?   The bibby/kobe thing is a no call for a variety of reasons.

A smart coach will anticipate that contact will happen and that a call will not come.  That should be factored in as far as who you decide to have set the screen.  Generally, a talented offensive player who is not strong is not a good choice because it takes them out of the play and makes the likelihood that you get an effective screen lower than other alternatives. 

Dallas ran the risk that they would get called for this and effectively end the game for them which is probably why we don't push guys down on every last play.  It is like offensive pass interference on key plays.  It is illegal to push off the corner and could invalidate your go ahead touchdown but on defense you have to expect that shove is coming and expect the refs are not going to call it.  Because it is exceptional to make that call even if it is the right call.  

I don't blame Trae for blowing up at the ref.  I would have done the same.  It is a foul.  Just one they typically don't call.  It is BS but predictable BS like superstar calls.  That was clearly either an illegal screen by Trae (as the ref apparently told LP) or a foul on WCS.   But it was a no-call on both of them which was like the famous Bibby / Kobe interaction.

Don't disagree with you that we'd like a better shot from Gallo.  Frankly, having Gallo get the last shot is less than ideal on a night he was clearly not on point.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm real amused at the illegal screen angle from the refs.    I mean that's a joke.  If that's an illegal screen then there are no legal screens.   Last two minute report will be interesting but i'm guessing the league will side with the refs on a no call.  

But yeah if it was any other star in the league this would be a bigger deal.     Maybe it wasn't a good play but that's a different discussion. 

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm real amused at the illegal screen angle from the refs.    I mean that's a joke.  If that's an illegal screen then there are no legal screens.   Last two minute report will be interesting but i'm guessing the league will side with the refs on a no call.  

But yeah if it was any other star in the league this would be a bigger deal.     Maybe it wasn't a good play but that's a different discussion. 

Yes it will.  I don't see how they could possibly say "no call" given the contact.  Has to be a foul one way or the other by the book.  I'm very interested to see it.

The ref suggesting it was an illegal screen is simply an illustration that refs are human - this is a fact I can't stand the league attempts to ignore.

Trae showed up the ref after the play, no doubt.  Calling it an illegal screen and saying he spared Trae or w/e.  That's just the ref getting in his feewings about Trae's reaction.  I'm fine with the no-call but don't sully your credibility by suggesting it was illegal.

I get it.  The lil' guy waved his hands at you and have some "harsh" words.  But just walk away.  Or report it to the league somehow to see if Trae gets punished.  That's fair.  The refs comments were uncalled for, imho.

• Like 1