• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint's season... a little perspective.

Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

This is no small feat:

“I think he’s been probably one of the most consistent guys on the defensive end of the floor for us,” Nate McMillan said. “He has been helping us all season long. He’s not only been helping in blocking shots and rotating to the basketball, but rebounding at an elite level. What he’s been doing now, he’s been doing it all season for us. What we are trying to do is not have to have him clean up on the perimeter where we’re guarding and not keeping the ball in front so that he can stay attached to his man and rebound the basketball.

“With the adjustment for a center in today’s game, you’re not defending low-post or post-up players a lot in this league. You’re out on the perimeter having to help defend these quick guards in pick and rolls and make adjustments to get back to a shooter that can spread the floor. The consistency has been there all season long.”

.......“He’s our best defensive player,” Kevin Huerter said of Capela. “On that side of the ball — obviously we want Trae (Young) to tell us what he wants us to do offensively — we want Clint telling us the same thing (defensively). How can we help him be elite and be as good as he can be? That’s been huge, especially in ball screen defense. Our ball-screen defense is something we switch up every game. We might switch up mid-game when (Zach) LaVine was kind of going off on us. Clint is someone who, again, what is most comfortable for him and what’s the best way he can cover for everybody else is some ways where he’s been more vocal. 

“I think there’s no doubt,” Huerter said. “The difference between him on the court and off the court for us I think is a lot. I think that’s just a testament to how elite he is at rim protecting. That’s not a slight to anyone else we bring in to the game. He’s just a difference-maker. He can switch out and guard guards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What we are trying to do is not have to have him clean up on the perimeter where we’re guarding and not keeping the ball in front so that he can stay attached to his man and rebound the basketball.

Coach on Nate Dogg.  Letting Trae and Kevin know their minutes can be taken away at a moments notice.

Didnt know Clint was 26.  He plays like he’s in his absolute prime at 28.  His IQ high af.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Reading a few comments I'm getting the feeling Clint's season is not only underrated by everyone outside of Atlanta, but even by a few of our fans. So here is a little comparison just to get a little understanding about what big Cap has done this year.

Here are Clint's stats per 36 mins on the season - 

18ppg - 17rpg - 2.7bpg - 1.5tov - 60%fg - .61%TS

Here is Dwight Howards DPOY season, where he was runner up MVP

20.7ppg - 13.5rpb - 2.9bpg - 3.1tov - 61%fg - 61%TS

Here is Dikembe's best season of his career

11.4ppg - 14rpb - 3.2bpg - 2.1tov - 56%fg - 62%ts

Rudy Goberts best season

16.8ppg -15.6rpg - 3.2bpg - 1.9tov -66%fg- 67%ts

How many players who averaged over 30mins a game have ever averaged 18ppg - 17rpg per 36 mins in NBA history? Just one other - Wilt. 

Some more numbers: On the year Clint ranks 7th overall in WAR, 0.1 points behind Embiid, 0.2 points behind Giannis. ... Trae Young and Collins are tied for 36th. In overall net raptor Clint also ranks top 10, at 9th. 0.1 behind Gobert. John Collins is the next best Hawk and ranks 32nd.

So to sum it up. Clint is having a top 5-10 season right now. Should be getting MVP consideration, is having a better season then some of the best seasons future hall of fame centers were able to put up. Team MVP by a mile, and still just 26 years old. Every Hawk fan should be saying a prayer to his heels before going to sleep every night, because without him we aren't a top 4 or even top 8 team in the east. 

Wow. Amazing perspective. I get the sense people don’t think I believe Clint is the one of the best things since sliced bread.  I do. He is without a doubt one my favorite players and I love to watch him play. .........but remember how everyone one said the league doesn’t value true center play and that the game has moved away from big men. If that holds true, that would make other positions on the team more valuable correct?  We have some pretty good players at two of those other positions. It does seems like the league is shifting a bit back to favor big men when you look at teams like Utah, Denver, Philadelphia, and the Hawks. 
Clint has been our most consistent player by far this year but we will need other positions to play Allstar basketball to lift us to the promised land. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Wow. Amazing perspective. I get the sense people don’t think I believe Clint is the one of the best things since sliced bread.  I do. He is without a doubt one my favorite players and I love to watch him play. .........but remember how everyone one said the league doesn’t value true center play and that the game has moved away from big men. If that holds true, that would make other positions on the team more valuable correct?  We have some pretty good players at two of those other positions. It does seems like the league is shifting a bit back to favor big men when you look at teams like Utah, Denver, Philadelphia, and the Hawks. 
Clint has been our most consistent player by far this year but we will need other positions to play Allstar basketball to lift us to the promised land. 

For sure!

• Like 2