• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Second Intriguing question.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Listening to the broadcast today.. and before buddy told that same story that he told on Friday Night....

They talk about Trae and his star power. 

Here's my question:

Does Trae possess more star power than any other player we have had... ever?

I’d say at least equal to ‘Nique in star power, then again superior in his ability to attract FAs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, hazer said:

I’d say at least equal to ‘Nique in star power, then again superior in his ability to attract FAs.

Looking at it..

I say Nique was Atlanta.  He opened businesses in Atlanta.  His name was synonymous with Hawks basketball and his slam dunk contests with Jordan put him on the Map. 

I don't think Trae has the National Attention that Nique had yet.   But he does have that star power i.e. the it factor.  If he can take us to the ECF, I think he gets there. 

One other thing... I think it's a misnomer to say that Nique didn't have ability to attract FAs.  That's an era thing.  FAcy wasn't as popular then as it is now.   The thought then was that you pretty much stayed with the team that drafted you.  Players didn't think about their rights to move because many of them had developed roots.  It's crazy when you hear that Hawks rationale for trading Nique when they did.   Nique was not about to leave Dominique's Downtown on purpose. 😄 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, hawkzlova123 said:

Hawks? I think not too far behind nique

Overall? No, Vick, chipper, Julio, Ryan, etc..

My question is earlier on... Wasn't Smoove  in that position too?  I mean he was the talk of the town when he won the slam dunk contest.   And all the little records that he broke.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hazer said:

Exactly what I was going to say. Equal to Nique. We get to the conference finals, Trae (and any player that shows out), will get massive marketing opportunities. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

My question is earlier on... Wasn't Smoove  in that position too?  I mean he was the talk of the town when he won the slam dunk contest.   And all the little records that he broke.

Well you know I was the biggest Josh fan there was....but Josh wasn't able to capitalize on the marketing push the Hawks put behind him. He worked on his body and it worked against him. He got too stiff which hurt his shot and on the blocks. Eventually killed his knees. Being a star requires that you show out for your team. Josh was great but put up stats a smidge below JC.  That's not going to get it done on the national level.

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not close to Vick yet. Vick is the only player in Atlanta sports history to be the face of the league even if it was short lived. People don't even watch the Hawks nationally so we aren't close to that yet. 

That is changing with this series. I have friends up north saying things like "did Trae improve this year" or "I didn't know ya'll were like this" (translated from Yanked so you all would understand).  All of them saying, "Damn I wish that guy was running our team."

• Like 4

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's not close to Vick yet. Vick is the only player in Atlanta sports history to be the face of the league even if it was short lived. People don't even watch the Hawks nationally so we aren't close to that yet. 

Yea he was the biggest sports star in the country for a minute there. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Honestly this is the best Trae has played PG in his career so far, it's pretty amazing how he stepped up. He's had many stretches of better shooting and scoring but this is easily the best 4 game stretch of running the team we've ever seen from him. So the surprise of many is warrantee to an extent. 

• Like 1

Still not on Nique’s level, but perhaps after this series.  Nique had commercials like Reebok Pumps that were beyond anything Trae has done yet.  
Trae is rising fast.  This is the first time national audiences and talking heads are watching his game from start to finish.  It’s blatantly obvious he is on a level way above Randle.  A lot of them are eating their words and will write about him more often and in a completely different way.  His status is changing with every game that is televised.  

• Like 1

Hawks:  Atlanta:  Nique #1 - Trae #2.

Other major sports have had their stars.  Remember that running back with the Georgia Bull Dogs?

Falcons and Braves have had theirs.  Hawks, not so much.  St. Louis Hawks - Petit.

Trae has yet to hit his peak.  National attention just now coming.

:smug:

• Like 1