• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nate not sure he wants to be our Head Coach??

Blunt91

33 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I am being very, very careful here. What I know on the subject is mildly speculative. It is one of the more closely guarded secrets out there in Hawkdom.

Nate's apprehension has nothing to do with the team, the city, the players or management. The firing of LP did not sit well with him. He would like a little more control over his future, his legacy. Nate is looking for less than total control, but more than a little input on personnel, assistant hires, team direction. What he wants is a seat at the table and its tricky business to get those assurances without looking like a Diva or a control freak. Nate is looking for a situation, not a job. As I understand it, he also doesn't want a contract negotiation interfering with the season. again, as I understand it, the agreement is he can hold on to the interim title as long as he wants until they come to an agreement. One of the assurances I'm told he wants is an out clause, freedom to take another job without restriction. Nate wants to be able to control his own fate, his own destiny. Consider this 40% grapevine, 60% speculation. I'm told he loves the city.

Makes complete sense through this lens, then. If true, it's definitely difficult to sit down and hash those details out in the middle of the season while your focus should be 100% on the daily operations and coaching of the team. And the farther we keep going into the postseason, the more leverage Nate is going to end up with to get what he wants. As long as he and Travis get along and see things similarly, hopefully none of that will be a hindrance to a deal. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

One interpretation of what campster shared above is that McM wants to talk about a Popovich kind of role, no?

Hmmm... sounds like what the last guy eventually was able to negotiate... sooooo.... wonder how that's going over.

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

I am being very, very careful here. What I know on the subject is mildly speculative. It is one of the more closely guarded secrets out there in Hawkdom.

Nate's apprehension has nothing to do with the team, the city, the players or management. The firing of LP did not sit well with him. He would like a little more control over his future, his legacy. Nate is looking for less than total control, but more than a little input on personnel, assistant hires, team direction. What he wants is a seat at the table and its tricky business to get those assurances without looking like a Diva or a control freak. Nate is looking for a situation, not a job. As I understand it, he also doesn't want a contract negotiation interfering with the season. again, as I understand it, the agreement is he can hold on to the interim title as long as he wants until they come to an agreement. One of the assurances I'm told he wants is an out clause, freedom to take another job without restriction. Nate wants to be able to control his own fate, his own destiny. Consider this 40% grapevine, 60% speculation. I'm told he loves the city.

Personnel and coaching staff? One thing he doesn't need to do is revert back to his Indiana system or change his assistants. I'm all for adding to what we have, but the assistants seem to be doing pretty darn great.

• Moderators

My prediction:  Nate will be back and Schlenk will be firmly the general manager (unlike Budcox era).  Nate is earning more respect now than he ever did when losing first round series after first round series.  And I don't blame him for those losses because he didn't have the horses but his legacy is going to be driven by what he does with the Hawks in combination with his cumulative wins over his career.  

This is a mutually advantageous situation for the Hawks, the players and Nate.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Personnel and coaching staff? One thing he doesn't need to do is revert back to his Indiana system or change his assistants. I'm all for adding to what we have, but the assistants seem to be doing pretty darn great.

input, not total control

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

If you were to guess, how do you think this will all shake out?

If Nate were to leave and be a head coach and find his ideal situation elsewhere, it would be a PR nightmare here. He has an excellent relationship with the players, is well respected by players around the league and after this season has credential capital to burn. At this point, the Hawks pretty much have to give him everything he wants. Barring some disaster, he'll be the coach here next year. 99.234% sure of that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, thecampster said:

If Nate were to leave and be a head coach and find his ideal situation elsewhere, it would be a PR nightmare here. He has an excellent relationship with the players, is well respected by players around the league and after this season has credential capital to burn. At this point, the Hawks pretty much have to give him everything he wants. Barring some disaster, he'll be the coach here next year. 99.234% sure of that.

You think TS would give up control?

• Premium Member

It's been said by someone here that ostensibly has an informed contact that LP had significant input in draft picks at minimum.

Conjecture here is simply that McM was so sideswiped by his IND experience that he's still a bit paranoid, no doubt having replayed that whole episode multiple times in his head and assessing what he could have done to avoid having to go through that.

And. Whatever he's come up with is probably what he'll ask of Ressler/Schlenk.

To my mind, fwiw, I'd want something in my contract that, if it were decided to make a change at head coach, obligates the team to transition me into a front office position that essentially equates to assistant GM or better. The thrust of that being that, if I'm McM, I know that they know they can't just totally get rid of me on a whim, which has the ripple effect of establishing that my opinions will necessarily hold some gravity.

• Like 1

Unless Nate was just trying to "buy time" to make a decision, looks like he has already agreed in some fashion to become the Head Coach permanently.

Hawks CEO Steve Koonin hinted after Atlanta’s road win over the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference finals that the team will be dropping McMillan’s interim tag following its playoff run. “Nate asked – one of the conditions of taking the job is we do this after the season concludes,” Koonin said on 92.9 The Game’s “Dukes & Bell” on Wednesday. “I’m so pleased on June 23 (that) our season’s not over. It is for 26 other teams; it’s not over for us. So, everything good happens to people who deserve it and will happen in time.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

I would be shocked if he's not back. He is definitely coming back as coach.  He finally has a real superstar to coach up for once with a team custom built around said superstar. We have literally the most ideal situation in all of the NBA. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Kirschner does some good work.

But his seeming chronic need to take every opportunity to somehow retaliate against LP is immature and gratuitous.

I get it. He felt showed-up by LP's response to his question last February that went viral on social media. But there's a professional way of reacting to that, and there's an unprofessional way. Leave it alone, young man. Your question was a valid question back then. Act like it. To keep poking at LP is, in actuality, to keep publicly doubting yourself as-if you have a crying obsession with promoting the idea of LP as flawed and inferior.

In other words, there was a way to write this very same story without the same prosecutorial edge/tone. And that would have been not only enlightening, but admirable. This is enlightening. Admirable, not so much.

(In case anyone forgot... )

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

But his seeming chronic need to take every opportunity to somehow retaliate against LP is immature and gratuitous.

I get it. He felt showed-up by LP's response to his question last February that went viral on social media. But there's a professional way of reacting to that, and there's an unprofessional way. Leave it alone, young man. Your question was a valid question back then. Act like it. To keep poking at LP is, in actuality, to keep publicly doubting yourself as-if you have a crying obsession with promoting the idea of LP as flawed and inferior.

In other words, there was a way to write this very same story without the same prosecutorial edge/tone. And that would have been not only enlightening, but admirable. This is enlightening. Admirable, not so much.

Kirschner seems like a guy who has ulterior motives.

I've said it looks like he views his current role as a Hawks beat writer as a stepping stone(nothing wrong with that). But you gotta respect your job and the people that make it possible. Can't get mad at players and coaches for not liking media if you keep punching down on a guy who lost his job.

I can see him making it to the big stage cause he's a bit grimy like alot of those ESPN and Fox Sports types. 

It's not like he got chewed out every interview. Sheesh.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Kirschner seems like a guy who has ulterior motives.

I've said it looks like he views his current role as a Hawks beat writer as a stepping stone(nothing wrong with that). But you gotta respect your job and the people that make it possible. Can't get mad at players and coaches for not liking media if you keep punching down on a guy who lost his job.

I can see him making it to the big stage cause he's a bit grimy like alot of those ESPN and Fox Sports types. 

It's not like he got chewed out every interview. Sheesh.

Very good points.  I am not a Kirshner fan at all.  He is kind of skeezy and has no interest in our team.  And he goes out of his way to let everyone know.  I am also not an LP fan.  Hopefully we get a better Athletic Hawks writer soon.  Let Kirshner go cover his Knicks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Are you talking about the article I posted a few comments before this response? The one written by Jeff Schultz, not Kirschner? 

😬

Kirschner is fine, I've never understood the criticism of him. We're lucky to have him.

Some of you are too young to remember Michael freaking Cunningham as our beat writer and it shows.