• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How did Cam look to you all?

Wurider05

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So after the offensive foul on the charge. At the next timeout, Cam was coming off the court. McMillan pulled him aside stood next to him, didn't face him. He pointed at the court and told him "he loved the aggressiveness but to trust his shot."  the TNT announcers pointed out that Cam could have pulled up anywhere between the 3 point line and the foul line for a clean look. At the time out, McMillan pointed it out to him, no criticism, even praised him. Instead of saying don't do this, do that, he reminded him there was more to his game than just attacking the rim. The non-confrontational teaching was one of the best coaching moments I've ever seen and Cam's reaction said everything. He owned up to it, went to the huddle and then the next time he came in, he had all the confidence in the world. McMillan has grown as a coach and it shows every game.

100% McMillan made comments in the post game presser about how they like to focus on positive things instead of negative.  It's a huge cultural shift in coaching from old school and I think a lot of that might be coming from Schlenk and his days on the Warriors.  Look at how Steph is constantly staying positive and encouraging teammates versus other stars in the league who show poor body language, act aggressive/hostile, etc.

As a side note, I think this type of philosophy to improve players and get positive change are valid inside and outside of basketball.  Even dogs respond 1000% better to positive training than negative.  Behavioral psychology has come a long way in the past 50 years and I think you're seeing that on this squad.  It's so easy to get the same message across and get a much better response by how you decide to deliver:

• "Trust your shot, you're playing great" vs. "You can't be passing up wide open looks like that"
  • "Let's keep the intensity up on defense, they can't score on you" vs. "You took some possessions off on defense, you need to focus on that end"
  • "Let's get everyone some touches and keep the ball moving" vs. "Stop taking early shot clock 3s"

Messaging is super important and McMillan seems to be very good at saying the right things to get these guys motivated, locked in, and on the same page.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, thecampster said:

So after the offensive foul on the charge. At the next timeout, Cam was coming off the court. McMillan pulled him aside stood next to him, didn't face him. He pointed at the court and told him "he loved the aggressiveness but to trust his shot."  the TNT announcers pointed out that Cam could have pulled up anywhere between the 3 point line and the foul line for a clean look. At the time out, McMillan pointed it out to him, no criticism, even praised him. Instead of saying don't do this, do that, he reminded him there was more to his game than just attacking the rim. The non-confrontational teaching was one of the best coaching moments I've ever seen and Cam's reaction said everything. He owned up to it, went to the huddle and then the next time he came in, he had all the confidence in the world. McMillan has grown as a coach and it shows every game.

The players believe in him and he believes in the players.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, frosgrim said:

I strongly suspect Nate McMillian helped a lot with Cam's approach and preparations for games.  From my reads, Coach P rode Cam all the time.  For some guys that is not the way to build confidence, especially when they've had little playing time and are being asked to do more than they are prepared to do.  Nate probably has Cam just focused on being a beast on D and play loose on the offensive end.  That is what I saw from him in G4. 

I still have high hopes for Cam.  But, lets see if he can stay healthy. 

During the game, Nate was mic'd up.  He had a moment where he specifically told Cam to "play his game", and that he wanted him to take the open shot, but loved how aggressive he was being with taking the ball to the basket.

Cam would then go on to knock down 2 threes and a midrange jumper in the 2nd half.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, thecampster said:

This is the exact thing I was referring to.  Should've kept reading for 3 more posts.

• Like 4

I shared some inside dirt from the problems Cam had with LP's coaching style about 3 months ago.  Cam just said this (shame on LP):

Chris Kirschner: Cam Reddish on his relationship with Nate McMillan: “It felt good to just feel like he was on my side. I’m always going to have his back for sure. Good dude, great relationship.”

• Like 1

Imagine you're a 20 year old lottery pick with a reputation for being cooperative and highly coachable and you feel like the coach isn't on your side.  Perhaps it was just too many young players for LP handle. For those that don't think psychology isn't half the battle for NBA players, just read that comment from Cam.

• Premium Member

If we don't start Hunter and Cam next season something is wrong. Unless some superstar is traded here this should be our starting lineup:

Trae/Dunn/Lou or someone else

Cam/Bogi

Hunter/Velvet

Collins/Gallo

Capela/OO

This gives us the chance to plug and play depending on need and whose got a hot hand going. What we can't afford is having our bigs collapse on defense to protect guards who aren't doing their job of staying in front of people. One of the reasons we gave up so many offensive rebounds against the Yucks was because of this. 

Cam and Hunter solve our wing issues on defense. We can kinda hide Trae on defense. We can't hide both him and Bogi.