• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Clint Capela is an overrated defender period

Peoriabird

3 hours ago, AtLaS said:

Ehh, struggling to defend Giannis and Embiid doesn't make someone a bad defender.  He has had 2 series in a row with nightmare matchups.  Capela is a solid defender, but certainly not a lockdown stopper.  Regardless, there are very few players that can effectively guard those players. 

That being said I'm not convinced either that Capella our best option to be guarding Giannis.  But who else do we put on him?  We really don't have a better answer.  Collins is too small, and Hill has zero chance.  Hunter would probably have the best shot if healthy. 

I think we need to focus on the others, Giannis pretty consistently gets 30 regardless of matchup.  

He plays in the EC. Who did you think he was going to go up against? He’s either up tot the task or he’s not. And he’s not.

• Premium Member
On 6/26/2021 at 6:54 PM, AHF said:

If the only center you will accept is one who can shut down the league’s MVP, then you better get used to not having a center at all.

Who said anything shutting down anyone? I was commenting on his footwork and defensive stance. Personally I think Okongwu is a better defender. He isn't the rebounder Capela is but his foot work and instincts on defense are already better

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Who said anything shutting down anyone? I was commenting on his footwork and defensive stance. Personally I think okongwu is a better defenders. He isn't the rebounder Capela is but his foot work and instincts on defense are already better

I will agree that it appears that Okongwu may have better lateral footwork than Capela.  And he has good instincts around the basket.  Not better than Capela's, but good nonetheless. He's shown flashes of this during the playoffs.

At the end of the day though, the last part of defense is defensive rebounding.  The guys who normally are regarded as good to great defensive big men, are the leaders in that category, as well as blocks.  That's why Capela has the defensive reputation that he has.

Okongwu is another guy that I would put on the floor in a "big" lineup with Collins and Capela.  Even Nathan Knight, if need be.

I think both options may be better than Solo at times.  Especially if we're in a zone type of look.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

At the end of the day though, the last part of defense is defensive rebounding. 

Dwight Howard is still a great defensive rebounder but sucks on defense unless you count flagrant fouls and wrestling moves as good defense. 😇 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I’d like to see Okongwu get some more minutes defending Giannis. There’s never going to be a perfect option but I feel like he can disrupt him a bit. 

Nate won't do it because he overrates Capela's ability to guard him just like he has been overrating Bogdanovic's contributions during the playoffs

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

when he receives the ball at the top of the key, he should be treated like an unskilled ball handler and bodied up to force him to get around you with his dribble.

I agree with this premise, that would have been Hunter's role. Play him similar to how we did Randle then collapse the defense when he gets in the paint, force him to make decisions with the ball off the dribble in a tighter window.  

So who should guard Giannis? Because if we are crowding him.on the perimeter, we will need some rim protection and a secondary defense.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree with this premise, that would have been Hunter's role. Play him similar to how we did Randle then collapse the defense when he gets in the paint, force him to make decisions with the ball off the dribble in a tighter window.  

So who should guard Giannis? Because if we are crowding him.on the perimeter, we will need some rim protection and a secondary defense.

Solo

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I know that I've already talked about Capela during the Philly series but his recent efforts have kinda confirmed what have felt about all along.  Capela is a pretty good if not elite rebounder and a pretty good help defender against smaller players but is terrible as a primary defender both in the post and on the perimeter.  Giannis is a pretty limited offensive player who excels at the rim.  He is a below average perimeter shooter and an average to below average ball handler and playmaker/passer but yet Capela can't anticipate nor stop the 1 move Giannis excels with which is the spin move into the paint.  Capela's foot work and defensive stance continues to be very poor and it appears as though there is no effort to work on stopping Giannis' signature 1 move in practice.  At this point, I'm ready to start Solo and put him on Giannis to pressure him as soon as he receives the ball rather than watch Capela continuously backing up as Giannis charges right at him.  Capela give up so much ground each time this happens that Giannis is at the rim by the time Capela offers any resistance.  Capela is not the cent of the future for this team.

He is not overrated. There are only three bigs in this league that he doesn’t have that much of an effect on. Giannis, Embiid, Jocic. All three are MVP caliber players. I don’t see how you can say he is overrated when he didn’t even make an all defensive team or an allstar selection.  He is still underrated in my opinion although he cannot stop two of the best players in the NBA. One other thing, the coach has enough confidence in Clint’s abilities to leave him on a island to defend those guys by himself. While the guys are getting their numbers, the rest of our team can focus on the other guys. Clint is taking one for the team. 

• Like 2