• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2021 Atlanta Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

I was at Dogwood Festival so I missed the live game. Just watched the DVR and man, I think the rookies are as advertised for better or worse.

Jalen Johnson's game translates on both ends. His athleticism and body control. His handles are really good too, and will allow him to play a lot of 3 if need be. He is a perfect combo forward in todays NBA. If he can get a consistent jump shot he will be a dangerous player. But he is not far off. His mentality is perfect, he is in the game and just plays with natural effort and awareness.

Cooper. I didn't want to believe the hype against his jumpshot, but he needs a lot of work to become a consistent shooter. That will open up everything for him. Maybe he was a little rusty or gun-shy, but you saw he lacked confidence from the outside and the rest of his game was a compensation for that. I thought he finished well, and some of those broken ankles were just rookie mistakes. I loved his activity on defense. Sadly, you really see the lack of size holding him back. There was a play where he read the pass perfectly and closed on it, but missed it by centimeters. If he was a smidge taller or longer he had a pick 6. The turnovers will fix themselves with more chemistry. He had a couple of dimes that guys missed. The speed of the game is  still an adjustment but he is also not far off. The mental will click soon. We have to wait on that jumper. He is a Trae-sized Rondo (young version) without it.

I hate that we lost this game because they really played hard and just had a ton of mental, inexperienced mistakes. When you look at the number of guys on the Celtics SL team that have played significant NBA minutes, this game shouldn't have been close. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yea I know. But I doubt Rife is much better than Brandon Goodwin.

the pass he made at the end of the 1st half alone shows he's better than Goodwin. Goodwin had zero court vision and playmaking skills. He played like he dribbled with his head down

• Like 4

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Coop is better than Killian Hayes 

Not really seeing much from Hayes. Cooper, despite his shortcomings, showed legit NBA level PG skills today. Cade Cunningham looking unselfish to a fault so far. He's the best player on the court so it would be nice to see him take over offensively. I'm seeing too much Denzel Valentine and not enough "it" factor right now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Not really seeing much from Hayes. Cooper, despite his shortcomings, showed legit NBA level PG skills today. Cade Cunningham looking unselfish to a fault so far. He's the best player on the court so it would be nice to see him take over offensively. I'm seeing too much Denzel Valentine and not enough "it" factor right now. 

..... get used to it (jmho).

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

Eh, we'll see.

Actually,  nah.  We won't.  Guy's gonna be ok, not great.

Yeah, I'm not sure about drafting what appears to be a "post injury" Shaun Livingston when you have Jalen Green right there for the taking. It's not like Green wasn't torching the G League the previous season. I'm just not seeing that "it" factor with Cunningham right now. It's just Summer League though. He may end up looking amazing in the regular season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cwell said:

I haven't forgotten about all the guys that wanted Bruno, Nassir Little etc. at pick 10 either

Ooooh. I wanted him at 17 before we traded it to move up.

I was a Cam at 8, Bruno at 17 guy. I can't remember who I liked at 10, but I was not in love with Jaxson Hayes like everyone else. 

I think maybe Goga or Sekou were my choices lol

1 hour ago, georgia said:

I’ve not read any of these post, but Jalen Johnson was a steal.   My goodness.  

Yeah Suddenly I’m feeling way better if DeAndre’s knee isn’t 100% go or he comes back on limited minutes for a while.

This guy looks like he could contribute soon pretty much anywhere 2 through 5.................

• Like 1

One more point to make. 

Johnson and Cooper both had limited in game playing time this past year.  When consider that, they both had excellent debuts.  I know you can't take too much from summer league, but you love to see those flashes. 

Johnson looked like a top 10 pick out there. He affected the game on both ends.  He had a real motor out there.  He was fighting his teammates for some of those rebounds.  

Cooper also looked like a top 14 pick when you consider the reads he was making. He also tried on the defensive end.

I can't wait to see how they look the next game.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Ooooh. I wanted him at 17 before we traded it to move up.

I was a Cam at 8, Bruno at 17 guy. I can't remember who I liked at 10, but I was not in love with Jaxson Hayes like everyone else. 

I think maybe Goga or Sekou were my choices lol

I mocked us trading #6 last year to Boston for 14 and 27..lol...I had us taking Nesmith and Bane...Bane is a baller, but Nesmith looks mediocre as hell..lol..Good thing we took OO...I wanted Deni if we kept #6 btw..lol..The draft is a crap shoot...

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1