• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Since Kris Dunn is in... He's our BU PG?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Kris Dunn being in... means a few things.

1.  He is our BU. 

2.   Lemon Pepper may have played his last game as a Hawk.

3.  FAcy is spent find a replacement for OO. 

We have to find somebody to replace OO.   Since Schlenk uses the draft to BPA and the FAcy to fill needs, I suspect that we will try to find somebody to replace OO for the shortterm.   That means that there's less cash to bring in LW.  Moreover, LW is less needed if Dunn is going to be the #2 PG.  Skylar Mays or a draft pick may be #3. 

This offseason is going to be interesting.   Nate will have to tutor Dunn. 

• Premium Member

To the point of the OP...

Direct quotes from Schlenk postseason presser:

Q: What areas of the roster would you like to see improved in the offseason?

A: You know, I think we're in a good space. A lot of our guys are under contract moving forward. Um. You know one of the areas... it's no secret... we've struggled to field a consistent role is back-up point guard spot.... I think that'll be one area that we look to shore up this offseason.

(Suppose one could take that to mean that he didn't actually mean it wasn't already "shored up" merely by moving a current player into that role. Maybe just me, but I don't take it that way. At all.)

• Like 2

Drawing premature conclusions. The only thing it means is that Dunn opted in and is now on the books for 2021-22. Now Travis must make the decision to either keep him on the roster, or move him off the roster in one of several different ways. 

Personally, I want to keep Dunn around and let him see what he can do with a healthy year; however, most of the chatter has been that Dunn is not in the Hawks plans for this season. If these rumors are true then Dunn most definitely isn't our backup PG because he won't even be on the roster. 

If Schlenk decides he doesn't want Dunn's or Bruno's salary on the roster then he will get rid of them thru a trade somehow. Might even have to attach an asset like pick #48 to make it happen, but if it's been determined they aren't in our plans then Darth Schlenk will make it happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

To no one in particular...

If a point guard re-opts in the forest, but there's no GM acknowledging him as having back-up status, does it make a sound?

😉

Assuming Schlenk is aware of Dunn opting-in, then it made a sound.  (And, yes, I know you're kidding).

It's the same as the proverbial "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make a sound?"

Technically, it does not.  It makes sound waves (not sound by themselves) that must then encounter a sound receptor (ear drums) in order for them to become "sound."  

Thus endeth today's lesson.  🙂

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

No. He opted in because his agent told him he wasn't going to get more money on the open market. Hawks may try to trade him, or let him sit on the bench. But we aren't going into 21-22 with Dunn being the primary back up. 

I would rather have Dunn than what we can trade him for. 

He's still a top defensive player.   He can guard the perimeter. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I would rather have Dunn than what we can trade him for. 

He's still a top defensive player.   He can guard the perimeter. 

I agree with you. 

But I also agree with @sturt that it sounded to me like Schlenk had already made up his mind that Dunn isn't the answer. And Kirschner saying "don't be surprised if Dunn is moved by {checks watch} today" probably confirms that. Schlenk also wouldn't have made that sort of decision without consulting his new head coach, so it probably means that means that McMillan doesn't think he's the answer either.

No matter how much I wish we could see what Dunn can give us when he's fully healthy, it seems pretty certain that he's just not in the Hawks' plans for this year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Diesel said:

Kris Dunn being in... means a few things.

1.  He is our BU. 

2.   Lemon Pepper may have played his last game as a Hawk.

3.  FAcy is spent find a replacement for OO. 

We have to find somebody to replace OO.   Since Schlenk uses the draft to BPA and the FAcy to fill needs, I suspect that we will try to find somebody to replace OO for the shortterm.   That means that there's less cash to bring in LW.  Moreover, LW is less needed if Dunn is going to be the #2 PG.  Skylar Mays or a draft pick may be #3. 

This offseason is going to be interesting.   Nate will have to tutor Dunn. 

Only problem is he doesn’t know how to play the point guard position.  He couldn’t even feed Gallo in the high post the few minutes he got in the playoffs. I like Dunn a lot but as a back up 2 guard whose role is to stop the other teams best offensive guard. 

14 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

Assuming Schlenk is aware of Dunn opting-in, then it made a sound.  (And, yes, I know you're kidding).

It's the same as the proverbial "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make a sound?"

Technically, it does not.  It makes sound waves (not sound by themselves) that must then encounter a sound receptor (ear drums) in order for them to become "sound."  

Thus endeth today's lesson.  🙂

Tree falls.  No one is there.  But, a sound recording is made.  Yes!  It will record the sound!

:hi:

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Unfortunately, I don't see it being that cut and dry.  I'm sure most of you would trade Dunn for a 2nd rounder tonight.   However, that would mean that we would have to spend our cap in FAcy on A BU PG and a replacement for OO.   Not to mention, possibly a wing. 

Unless we have pinpointed somebody who can come in and be our PG and will take 5 million or less... we're in trouble.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Tree falls.  No one is there.  But, a sound recording is made.  Yes!  It will record the sound!

:hi:

Correct.  The sound recorder acts as the "ear drums" that are not otherwise present.