• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mays / Knight qualifying offers?

niremetal

• Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, today is the deadline for the Hawks to extend qualifying offers to Mays and Knight (in addition to Goodwin, who didn't get one). Is that right? If so, any word on that?

I'd say that this is a situation where no news probably means no offer and that we're rolling the dice that no one will try to sign them to anything other than a two-way. But since news of the Goody non-offer made it out, I'm not sure...

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Not sure Brad has that right.

Extending a QO, if I understand correctly, doesn't define whether or not you're going to be offered another two-way or a standard... it's just what has to happen for the team to have the right to match any other team's attempt to take the player away.

Of course, the question now is... when do we hear about Nate? Or will we?

Remember, the Hawks worked out a whole lotta guys that were unlikely to be drafted.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Not sure Brad has that right.

Extending a QO, if I understand correctly, doesn't define whether or not you're going to be offered another two-way or a standard... it's just what has to happen for the team to have the right to match any other team's attempt to take the player away.

I think that's technically accurate, but in reality, I think a QO is an offer of a true NBA contract. So if no other teams offers him a better deal, I would assume that Mays would simply accept the Hawks' QO. I don't think there would be any reason he would end up with anything other than a real NBA contract after this.

UPDATE: Nevermind, see @JayBirdHawk's post below.

Of course, the question now is... when do we hear about Nate? Or will we?

Remember, the Hawks worked out a whole lotta guys that were unlikely to be drafted.

NOW I'm starting to think no news means no offer here. Hope I'm wrong. Because I think some other team is going to take note of him and try to sign him away.

Edited by niremetal
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Players on two-way contracts:

Note: Qualifying offers for two-way players are one-year, two-way contracts with a $50K guarantee unless otherwise indicated.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/06/2019-nba-qualifying-offer-recap.html

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

Right. But that just means that that's the minimum deal that the team is required to give him... from how I read it... here's that whole section...

Finally, while the details outlined above apply to players on standard NBA contracts who are eligible for restricted free agency, a different set of rules applies to players coming off two-way contracts. For most of those players, the qualifying offer would be equivalent to a one-year, two-way salary, with $50K guaranteed.

If a player coming off a two-way contract is ineligible to sign another one – either because he has already been on two-way deals with his current team for two seasons or because he has four years of NBA service – his qualifying offer would be a standard, minimum-salary NBA contract. The guarantee on that QO would have to match or exceed what a two-way player would earn in the G League.

To my point, there's nothing inherent in making the QO that says the team is definitely going to do one or the other. But to the point of this, they are committing to, at least, another two-way.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, sturt said:

Knight becomes an unrestricted free agent in about 45 minutes.

I've seen in a couple places that the QO deadline was 5pm ET today, so I think it's already passed.

https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2021/8/1/22605092/knicks-dont-extend-qualifying-offer-to-frank-ntilikina-making-him-an-unrestricted-free-agent

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article253105638.html

Hopefully it's like Mays' QO and we extended it but no one in the media cared enough to check before the deadline passed. 

• Premium Member

Fwiw, my intel comes from Keith Smith's podcast today, in which he explained that technically the league year ends at midnight tonight.

EDIT: And taking a look at the Miami Herald piece, it does indicate that midnight is the deadline for QOs. For some reason, though, team options appear to have a somewhat earlier deadline (5 pm).

The Heat had until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday to extend the qualifying offers. The Heat’s front office still needs to make a decision on the team options in the contracts of Goran Dragic ($19.4 million team option), Andre Iguodala ($15 million team option) and Omer Yurtseven ($1.5 million, but still non-guaranteed) by 5 p.m. on Sunday.

y
  • Thanks 1